Menu

OneNote / OneDrive Problem (see #8)

So I finally downloaded OneNote - Plum and Saddlemomma really inspired me with their plans.  I have a week to get it together!  :w00t:   I've been reading over past threads for ideas on how to get it implemented, but I haven't seen this question: Where do you store the stuff so everyone can access it from their various comptuers?  Seems like I have options for "My Computer" or "OneDrive" (some Microsoft version of the Cloud?)  Do I need to sign up for that?  We do also have a shared server, I think I could also store it there, but then we also couldn't access it while out of the house (is that even necessary?)

So did you all sign up for OneDrive and use that, or are you using it some other way?

TIA!

Recent OneNote convert here as well. I did not have to sign up for my OneDrive, but my computer auto syncs via my Microsoft account so that might be the difference.

I put everything into my OneDrive and it allows everything to show up on my son's iPad. The only things that he does not have direct iPad access to are the audio files which media player does not seem to want to transfer from our desktop. I am still working on that one. If I save templates or assignments as Word documents into the OneDrive, DS can then directly type into the document, save it as his own response, and minimize stacks of paperwork everywhere. That has been helpful to realize.

I also use a lot of Khan, YouTube, and Internet websites that link so that I do not have to directly download.

I put everything into my OneDrive and it allows everything to show up on my son's iPad. The only things that he does not have direct iPad access to are the audio files which media player does not seem to want to transfer from our desktop. I am still working on that one. If I save templates or assignments as Word documents into the OneDrive, DS can then directly type into the document, save it as his own response, and minimize stacks of paperwork everywhere. That has been helpful to realize.

So your Notebooks are all created/stored on OneDrive?  And that's also where you put the non-web documents you link to?

Signed up with OneDrive too. I do like that I can access OneNote through the iOS app when I'm not at home. I have tried OneNote online, and it's okay, but I like the actual app better, both for PC and iOS. However, I like that I could access my OneDrive on, say, my mom's computer if need be.

• 5 weeks later...

So I have a weekly overview schedule and also weekly lesson plans for all the subjects that aren't outsourced in good ol' Word.  I also have PDF resources to link to some of those.  From what I understand, I can drag/link these into OneNote and organize everything there - so I figured I'd do all the work on those first, and then assembling the Notebooks should be a fairly easy final step...

And I've finally signed up for OneDrive after asking the questions above, and the plan would be to store everything there so we can open stuff anywhere. 

But now I'm finally trying to create a Notebook in OneNote, on OneDrive.  When I do this, it tells me to Sign Up or Sign In to OneDrive.  If I try to Sign In, it tells me there's a "Temproary Server Issue".  For at least a week now, so not so temporary.  I've tried rebooting to see if that helps, but no.  If I try to Sign Up rather than In (even though I've already signed up), it opens a browser window and I can Sign In there.  And then I can create a Notebook on the Online version of OneNote there.  BUT... if I try to open the Notebook I created in the Online version of OneNote on my Desktop, it says... you guessed it.. "Temporary Server Issue".

So, can I not use OneDrive with my desktop version of OneNote after all?  We do have a server I could use so the kids could access their stuff on any computer in the house while home, but then it wouldn't work away from home.  Maybe that's not such an issue - but WHY won't OneDrive work with my desktop version of OneNote????

Has anyone else had this issue (and even better, know how to resolve it)??   I'm hesitant to put a lot of work into assembling the Notebooks only to not be able to access them the way I want (isn't that at least half the point)?

Which version of Windows and which version of OneNote?

Try right clicking on your OneNote icon and choosing "Run as Administrator." Then restart it and try signing in again.

Another thing that can help is resetting the internet settings for MS applications. You can do it within Internet Explorer, or if you're using Windows 8, use the charms menu to search "Internet Options" -> Advanced tab -> and hit reset. Note that will reset any parental controls too. You can also access the internet options from the control panel.

Which version of Windows and which version of OneNote?

I've got Windows 7 (though I have Windows 8 on the Tablet - but isn't the whole idea that I can access it from all my devices?)

Try right clicking on your OneNote icon and choosing "Run as Administrator." Then restart it and try signing in again.

Another thing that can help is resetting the internet settings for MS applications. You can do it within Internet Explorer, or if you're using Windows 8, use the charms menu to search "Internet Options" -> Advanced tab -> and hit reset. Note that will reset any parental controls too. You can also access the internet options from the control panel.

Thank you.  I will try these things and report back. :)  (although do you have any idea how to reset the internet settings in Windows 7??)

Are all your versions up to date?  

Versions of what?  I just downloaded OneNote a couple of weeks ago - OneDrive is somewhere off on the internet cloud, no?  Windows 7 just updated itself last time it did an auto reboot - or would there be something else I'd have to do?  OneNote doesn't require Windows 8, does it??  What else would I have to worry about?

We use the microsoft account to sign in to OneNote and everything is there.  No matter whose computer/ipad/iphone/windows phones.  This seemed to be the easiest way to me.  Everyone gets their own book and can have whatever tabs they want.

But aren't you then just using OneNote Online version?  I've heard so many people say they like the desktop version better...