Menu

Iphone won't give up my pictures. Problem solved! Update #1

KatieJ

Suddenly, my Iphone 4 wants to keep all my photos.  We took the phone to the Apple store, and he offered a few suggestions, like bring in your laptop and we'll see what we can do.   ( I have a tower, can't do that.)

I have two different programs I use, Camera Wizard which came with my computer, Memory manager from Creative memories.  One says my device has been turned off, and the other says I have no photos on my phone.

Neither is true.

Apple suggested we upload to ITune.  I can't figure that out. 

Suggestion 2 - upload to the "cloud".  DH says nope.  Doesn't want any part of the "cloud".

I am contemplating emailing all 200 of them to myself so I can save them to my computer.  But seriously, I have better things to do!

We have downloaded the newest IOS update, started, restarted the phone numerous times.  Deleted all photos that have been previously uploaded to my PC. 

Anyone else have this issue?

Quick answer is that one of the recent IOS updates told my phone that PC was to be trusted or some such thing.  We figured that out today, After we authorized my PC to my iTunes account,which therefore makes my PC authorized to my iPhone and we are rocking again.

I knew it wasn't me or my system,of backing up photos, but Apple would not confirm that update messed me up and that was frustrating. 

I've never heard of that issue, but I can get to my photos in windows by going into explorer and clicking on the iPhone hard drive. I then just copy them to another file on my computer.

You lost me here.

What I have done is go to My computer, I find that the Iphone is connected.  It always opens up the Camera Wizard program.  I don't knwo what else to try.  I assume my DH has tried going to the hard drive of the phone.  Or not.  I don't know.

Since the program you are using is not "reading" your Iphone,  you might want to try a new program for importing them.  Picasa is free, and might work for your purpose.  

I have two completely separate unrelated  programs, and neither is reading it, therefore I am assuming it's the phone. 

I will try Picassa tho.  Thanks.

I assume my DH has tried going to the hard drive of the phone. Or not. I don't know.

Click on Windows Explorer to see all the folders in your desktop computer. Then look for a drive there that says iphone or whatever you name your phone. Next look for the folder call DCIM. Your photos should be there so you can just copy everything onto your desktop computer.

Ok, can't find a "folder" as you describe it.  When I open the "my computer" folder on my desktop, I find the Iphone drive.  When I click on that, it opens a folder to ask me what program I want to use to get those pictures.  Neither of those programs work. 

Click on Windows Explorer to see all the folders in your desktop computer. Then look for a drive there that says iphone or whatever you name your phone. Next look for the folder call DCIM. Your photos should be there so you can just copy everything onto your desktop computer.

I just had to do this last week with my iPad and to me it's the easiest.  Google "copying photos from iPhone to PC" if you need a more detailed walkthrough.  I manually create a directory under my photos with the date and copy them over to there.

I disagree with your DH about things in "the Cloud".  DropBox "saved my rear", a few years ago, when my PC was destroyed by a nearby lightning strike. The latest versions of our web sites were on DropBox. The older versions were on CD-RW media. Between the 2, I migrated to another box, without problems, and resumed my work within a few days. I backup everything to my free DropBox account. Rarely does that  include photos. But other than that, all of my Data.

I don't know how much space your 200 photos would take up, but if you can get them onto Google's Picasa and/or DropBox, do it.

As a previous post indicated, if you can connect to your iPhone with another box, and if you can "see" the hard drive (using the File Manager in the Tower or Laptop or whatever you use) over the Network (with Bluetooth or WiFi or whatever), hunt around for the photos. If you are lucky, they are still there and if you are very lucky, you can copy them from the iPhone to your Tower and then copy them to  Picasa or DropBox.  The rule is to Backup and to Backup and to Backup...  GL

Guest inoubliable

Agreeing about Dropbox. I pay $9.99/month for extra storage and keep all of my homeschool stuff and pictures in there. Important stuff, too. It's not the only place I keep them - I have an external hard drive with most of it, too. But Dropbox is much easier to access on my laptop and Macbooks and phone, than plugging in the external hard drive. I've never had an issue with Dropbox, either. Every photo I take with my phone gets automatically uploaded to Dropbox. Love it.

When I open the "my computer" folder on my desktop, I find the Iphone drive. When I click on that, it opens a folder to ask me what program I want to use to get those pictures. Neither of those programs work.

The detailed instructions and the pictures on this guide by Apple would help. You can compare what you see on your desktop with the pictures in the link.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4083

Another vote for Dropbox here.  Dh and I have our phones set up so pictures automatically get uploaded to our Dropbox.  Not only does it save us if our phones go kaput, but it is also nice when he is traveling for work.  He is able to keep up with stuff from home, and I can see all the sights through his pictures. 

I've never heard of that issue, but I can get to my photos in windows by going into explorer and clicking on the iPhone hard drive. I then just copy them to another file on my computer.

This - plug the iPhone in, drag and drop them to whichever file you keep your photos in.

I disagree with your DH about things in "the Cloud".  DropBox "saved my rear", a few years ago, when my PC was destroyed by a nearby lightning strike. The latest versions of our web sites were on DropBox. The older versions were on CD-RW media. Between the 2, I migrated to another box, without problems, and resumed my work within a few days. I backup everything to my free DropBox account. Rarely does that  include photos. But other than that, all of my Data.

I don't know how much space your 200 photos would take up, but if you can get them onto Google's Picasa and/or DropBox, do it.

As a previous post indicated, if you can connect to your iPhone with another box, and if you can "see" the hard drive (using the File Manager in the Tower or Laptop or whatever you use) over the Network (with Bluetooth or WiFi or whatever), hunt around for the photos. If you are lucky, they are still there and if you are very lucky, you can copy them from the iPhone to your Tower and then copy them to  Picasa or DropBox.  The rule is to Backup and to Backup and to Backup...  GL

Dh   is well informed on the topic of cloud sharing ( one of his many titles at work is IT Manager)  and is entitled to his form his own opinion on whether or not he will use it. We have several back ups in place for our info.  My question is not about the how and why of backing up our data. 

I have been getting photos off my phone regularly.  I went on a trip last week without my camera and use my phone exclusively.  Which I never do, but wanted to pack light.  I can't get my phone to link with my computer. I can't see the photos on my computer no matter what program I have tried.  It's my phone, not my computer. I thought maybe it was an update, but Apple says no. 

BTW, my camera works just fine with my two programs on my computer.

DH has an idea of how to get them off so we will go ahead with his plan.