Menu

The Liturgical Classroom & making honey

The Liturgical Classroom, Virtue & Renewal of Education

I have only watched this video once so far (hoping to watch again this afternoon) but it made me feel so excited about what *could* be achieved in my own home. The 'making honey' was just beautiful. I went on two silent weekend retreats very recently (November & January) & personally explored Lectio Divina whilst there & I was able to see the fruit it bore in my own life.

I was hoping that more experienced mums could share how this process works with your own children? The 'making honey' part. I gave up 'pointless' crafts a few years back, and this year began to see that a lot of projects don't work for us. (you know the type!)They drain me & the kids don't actually seem to learn much. The Circe discussions have just been a series of lightbulb moments for me & I have pared back our requirements. Well, actually no. I have pared back the wide spread of 'lessons/resources' but this year I think I will actually require *more* from us all (me included)

So, to get back on track, how do your children 'make honey'? Do you guide them towards activity? (write a poem, paint, get out the clay etc) or do they create naturally? If so, how did you guide them to that place? How do you 'make it happen' regarding time? Do you have a set block of time for this stage of responding, or, for example, is the time found from the time you have allocated to literature (if the response is to what you are reading?) OR do you just have not time planned for anything & just have 'things to be done' so this fits in pretty seamlessly ? 

My own children often do come up with their own responses. For example, we have been reading Norse myths this year & my 11 yo DD made herself a book into which she wrote in Runes, drew pictures etc. But I would like to create the opportunity for this to happen more frequently. I see that TIME would be a key factor...

I hope this question is clear, I do not write very well. Please excuse me.

Thanks for sharing any thoughts you may have, I know we are all busy mums here.

This is a fascinating video and so inspiring!

I've seen half so far (chores to do!) but wanted to thank you for sharing and give you a bump.

Even though it's for classroom teachers, there is much of value to apply to any teaching setting.

I will think thru it and see if I can come up with any ideas for you! (I need to digest it...lol!)

You might like the book Project Based Homeschooling. It talks about how to create an atmosphere that encourages exploration and contemplation and attention. It pretty much answers all the questions you asked above.  And while the word "project" is in the title, it's not about pre-planned projects that the parent chooses. It's about projects that the students chose for themselves. 

I think one big factor in this kind of learning is allowing plenty of time for things to really soak in. It's so important to just live with an idea for awhile and to allow it to grow. Then there can actually be real fruit, or honey. :) 

You might also find The Living Page to be helpful in thinking about and understanding how to implement this concept. 

So, to get back on track, how do your children 'make honey'? Do you guide them towards activity? (write a poem, paint, get out the clay etc) or do they create naturally? If so, how did you guide them to that place? How do you 'make it happen' regarding time? Do you have a set block of time for this stage of responding, or, for example, is the time found from the time you have allocated to literature (if the response is to what you are reading?) OR do you just have not time planned for anything & just have 'things to be done' so this fits in pretty seamlessly ? 

My own children often do come up with their own responses. For example, we have been reading Norse myths this year & my 11 yo DD made herself a book into which she wrote in Runes, drew pictures etc. But I would like to create the opportunity for this to happen more frequently. I see that TIME would be a key factor...

I'm mostly just commenting to follow and hear other responses, because I am a recovering school-at-home mom. ;) I watched that video a few weeks ago and loved it! I was wanting to watch it again, since I missed so much the first time, and couldn't remember where I had found it, so thank you for the link.

In regards to the above questions, I think the biggest things I'm finding to encourage more creativity in our elementary years is to cull out the unnecessary in our schooling,  limit screen time, and fill their heads with great ideas and beautiful stories. At least I'm seeing the positive results of that in our home. I wanted to direct you to a podcast I'm currently listening to - Julie Bogart (of Brave Writer):  One Thing Principle (I always have a hard time finding her podcasts, I know they are available on iTunes for free if you have trouble with that link I gave.) She addresses a lot of the questions you are asking - WHEN do we do those extra things that require planning or extra thought, over and above the delight-directed play? She talks about the differences between schedules and routines, and how we so often feel like a failure when we follow a schedule, but how by following a routine, we can build in time for extra things we want to accomplish, simply by taking one thing at a time. She discusses how to plan for it to make it doable. I love how she gives an example of building in an artist study and how to make it memorable. She is very practical and easy to implement.

Okay, now to :lurk5: ...

I'm just throwing this out there, but could the schooling environment play a big part?

I teach preschool (not at the moment, but going back, and have always considered that my "calling"), and am a bit into a philosophy/method called Reggio Emilia, after the Italian town that first sparked this sort of teaching. The room is called the "third teacher," and much attention is given to the set up and atmosphere of that room. They use lots of loose parts and natural materials, because that is valued in that particular philosophy (for lack of a better word--it's more a method I guess,,,anyway...).

So for homeschooling, could part of the liturgy be the surroundings in which you teach? And that, in homeschooling, would really be about the home, wouldn't it? So beauty, for instance--making beauty something to soak in in the home--what would that look like? Famous pictures on the wall? Quotes hung in unexpected places? Music playing occasionally? Fresh flowers and nature tables and shells to play with? Open windows? Scents? Cleanliness and order, or maybe beauty in messes? LOL (THAT would be me...) And steeping in that beauty--you'd have to define it, somehow, a bit, wouldn't you?

The liturgies could involve seasonal decorations, or rituals that are meaningful, or family traditions--all would make up the environment, tangible and intangible, wouldn't they?

Much to think about--

You might like the book Project Based Homeschooling. It talks about how to create an atmosphere that encourages exploration and contemplation and attention. It pretty much answers all the questions you asked above.  And while the word "project" is in the title, it's not about pre-planned projects that the parent chooses. It's about projects that the students chose for themselves. 

I think one big factor in this kind of learning is allowing plenty of time for things to really soak in. It's so important to just live with an idea for awhile and to allow it to grow. Then there can actually be real fruit, or honey. :)

You might also find The Living Page to be helpful in thinking about and understanding how to implement this concept. 

Thank you

I actually used to read Lori`s blog. I have not read the book so must look into it.

I am currently reading the living page :)

I'm mostly just commenting to follow and hear other responses, because I am a recovering school-at-home mom. ;) I watched that video a few weeks ago and loved it! I was wanting to watch it again, since I missed so much the first time, and couldn't remember where I had found it, so thank you for the link.

In regards to the above questions, I think the biggest things I'm finding to encourage more creativity in our elementary years is to cull out the unnecessary in our schooling,  limit screen time, and fill their heads with great ideas and beautiful stories. At least I'm seeing the positive results of that in our home. I wanted to direct you to a podcast I'm currently listening to - Julie Bogart (of Brave Writer):  One Thing Principle (I always have a hard time finding her podcasts, I know they are available on iTunes for free if you have trouble with that link I gave.) She addresses a lot of the questions you are asking - WHEN do we do those extra things that require planning or extra thought, over and above the delight-directed play? She talks about the differences between schedules and routines, and how we so often feel like a failure when we follow a schedule, but how by following a routine, we can build in time for extra things we want to accomplish, simply by taking one thing at a time. She discusses how to plan for it to make it doable. I love how she gives an example of building in an artist study and how to make it memorable. She is very practical and easy to implement.

Okay, now to :lurk5: ...

Thank you! I shall load that onto my iPod. It sounds intriguing.

I'm just throwing this out there, but could the schooling environment play a big part?

I teach preschool (not at the moment, but going back, and have always considered that my "calling"), and am a bit into a philosophy/method called Reggio Emilia, after the Italian town that first sparked this sort of teaching. The room is called the "third teacher," and much attention is given to the set up and atmosphere of that room. They use lots of loose parts and natural materials, because that is valued in that particular philosophy (for lack of a better word--it's more a method I guess,,,anyway...).

So for homeschooling, could part of the liturgy be the surroundings in which you teach? And that, in homeschooling, would really be about the home, wouldn't it? So beauty, for instance--making beauty something to soak in in the home--what would that look like? Famous pictures on the wall? Quotes hung in unexpected places? Music playing occasionally? Fresh flowers and nature tables and shells to play with? Open windows? Scents? Cleanliness and order, or maybe beauty in messes? LOL (THAT would be me...) And steeping in that beauty--you'd have to define it, somehow, a bit, wouldn't you?

The liturgies could involve seasonal decorations, or rituals that are meaningful, or family traditions--all would make up the environment, tangible and intangible, wouldn't they?

Much to think about--

What a great point! It ties in with Charlotte mason`s quote

Education is an atmosphere,a discipline,a life.

Much to think about--

YES!!!!!! A year ago I heard a talk by Christopher Perrin, I think, that went along these lines...it inspired me to toss all my school-ish stuff from the school room and turn it into a comfy room that we can enjoy, with lovely art on the wall, real furniture, etc. I really did toss it all, the huge whiteboard that was hanging on the wall, the alphabet handwriting cards, the poster with the steps for the scientific method...everything! It really made a difference this past school year.

That reminds me, I need to clean up the mess that has slowly began to spread in the school room.....

I watched this video in March and I was inspired by it.  I tried to think of ways to 'make honey'  with my children without it begin contrived. I was not successful in thinking of any lasting ways.   Then life happened and other things crowded out the brainstorming. 

Thank you for bumping the video up in my thought processes.  Now that planning for this coming school year  is in full throttle, maybe I can think up ways on how 'making honey'  will look for our family.

YES!!!!!! A year ago I heard a talk by Christopher Perrin, I think, that went along these lines...it inspired me to toss all my school-ish stuff from the school room and turn it into a comfy room that we can enjoy, with lovely art on the wall, real furniture, etc. I really did toss it all, the huge whiteboard that was hanging on the wall, the alphabet handwriting cards, the poster with the steps for the scientific method...everything! It really made a difference this past school year.

That reminds me, I need to clean up the mess that has slowly began to spread in the school room.....

That is interesting...we do not have a 'school room' as such. We work at the table in our dining room, but we have a BIG blackboard in there & various posters on the walls (world map, map of the UK, The British Year, kings & Queens)

I watched this video in March and I was inspired by it.  I tried to think of ways to 'make honey'  with my children without it begin contrived. I was not successful in thinking of any lasting ways.   Then life happened and other things crowded out the brainstorming. 

Thank you for bumping the video up in my thought processes.  Now that planning for this coming school year  is in full throttle, maybe I can think up ways on how 'making honey'  will look for our family.

Please keep me posted on your thoughts :)

I watched this video in March and I was inspired by it. I tried to think of ways to 'make honey' with my children without it begin contrived. I was not successful in thinking of any lasting ways. Then life happened and other things crowded out the brainstorming.

Thank you for bumping the video up in my thought processes. Now that planning for this coming school year is in full throttle, maybe I can think up ways on how 'making honey' will look for our family.

In the video wasn't some of the "honey making" the change in attitudes and behaviors in the students? Also, with the 8th grade girls, they read and discussed Augustine and then brainstormed applications for what they read. It's been awhile since I watched the video so I'm sorry my answers are vague. I'm trying to figure out how to encourage "honey making" in my kids too and in a book club for 4-6th graders this year. Maybe I should just talk to my kids about how great literature can grab hold of us and change us. That part of reading a book is acknowledging the longing it stirs in us for change and exploring and pursuing it.