Menu

WWS with ????? Is it possible?

My ds, 8th this fall, will be finishing WWS1. We plan to start our year with the poetry section. I am wanting to add a spelling program, continue with AG. Now I need to add in Literature selections and just don't know what to do. He will be doing a year of World Geography with no formal history this year. He really enjoys WWS and had great success last year with it. So we plan to continue with that as our writing instruction. I need to add Literature but want a "program". I am not into designing any lesson plans of my own. All the literature programs out there have a writing component in them also and it seems like too much writing. 

Is it too much to do:

WWS 1 and then into 2

Spelling program

Grammar program

then a Lit program??

I am looking at EIL Intro to Lit,OR  Hewitts LL8, OR Figuratively Speaking. Would any of these programs be worthwhile if I don't do the writing portion of the curriculum?

I am open to suggestions! or maybe I am just overthinking this...

Thanks for the help,

Karen

I'm in the same boat with my son starting 9th and needing to continue AG, his spelling program, and he'll just be starting WWS1, we have tried it in the past but he just wasn't up for it.  For lit I'm using the EIL book list from Intro for lit (but subbing in more Poe for the short stories instead of what they use since he just discovered Poe and wants to read more of him) but will just be discussing the books ala Teaching the Classics instead of doing the writing in EIL. 

Figuratively Speaking doesn't have much in the way of writing, but the student is only reading very short excerpts (as in a few paragraphs). So it works best paired with either novels or a short story anthology. Mosdos has one as does K12 (Classics for Young Readers).

Thanks for the ideas. I always feels like reading and discussing (because I am not very good at it!) is never enough. My ds is a voracious reader so getting him to read is no problem. I will ponder this some more and look at these ideas.

Thank you!

Do you ladies have any experience with Literary Lessons from LOTR? I have been looking at this and it has optional writing. It covers lit terms and have comp questions. Do you think it would match well with WWS2, spelling program, and AG without being too overwhelming to our day??

It's not unreasonable - WWS for writing, spelling, grammar, and lit.  Sounds perfectly reasonable! An 8th grader should be able to do the writing in WWS and also do some writing in a lit program, or about books.  You could definitely do LLLOTR as part of that lineup, although you might not need a separate vocab if you are using the vocab portion of it.  You can pick and choose how much of it you use - a lot of people skip the comprehension questions and do the discussions orally with an occasional writing assignment - you can choose from the questions/topics included in the program.  Just be flexible and don't feel like you have to use every single bit of every single program as written, or at the pace in the curriculum.  Sounds like a good mix, though!