Menu

More GF/DF cake mix questions

Tiramisu

New: Thank you to everyone who replied about how to handle the buttermilk. Now I have a new question: It calls for vanilla and almond extract. Will it be the end of the world if I only put in vanilla? I like almonds but I'm not crazy about the taste of almond extract and I don't have it on hand.

Old: I picked up a gf yellow cake mix and I'm supposed to add butter and butter milk. I'm planning on using a non-hydrogenated, vegetable oil based organic shortening, which worked well in another recipe, to replace the butter. But what can I use to replace the buttermilk? Will I ruin it if I just use almond milk? Can I add something to that to make it turn out better.

How far in advance can I make them without them getting stale? 

TIA!

It won't ruin it if you replace but add a little vinegar or lemon juice to the almond milk.

Let it sit for a few minutes. It will thicken a bit and separate a little. You may think "ICK!! What were those WTM people thinking!" but that is how you replace buttermilk. :lol:

Yup - this. Good luck! 

I didn't even know you could buy GF cake mix. I thought you had to find the right flour and do it from scratch :o  I thought about making one once but I had no idea what kind of flour would taste good. And the idea of almond or coconut milk sounds disgusting to me in a sweet (and I regularly used almond milk for months in my cereal). Did it affect the taste? I'm so glad you were able to get your cupcakes :) Did you just use vanilla? I hate almond extract and once used it instead of vanilla in my buttercream by mistake. Everyone else loved it though lol

We used Hodgson's Mill GF yellow cake mix. There's a lot you can do with it, including making it chocolate, according to the package. The cupcakes texture is a little like cornbread and when dd tasted it, she thought it was cornbread. The flavor isn't bad but I think I could have added more vanilla, which is what some of the reviews I read recommended. I miraculously found some almond extract in my cabinet, though, and that went in, too. :)

I also made cupcakes using Betty Crocker GF devil's food cake mix. That was an easier one to use and the texture wasn't grainy, much more like real cake. I'd recommend that again and may consider getting other GF Betty Crocker mixes in the future.

We used Hodgson's Mill GF yellow cake mix. There's a lot you can do with it, including making it chocolate, according to the package. The cupcakes texture is a little like cornbread and when dd tasted it, she thought it was cornbread. The flavor isn't bad but I think I could have added more vanilla, which is what some of the reviews I read recommended. I miraculously found some almond extract in my cabinet, though, and that went in, too. :)

I also made cupcakes using Betty Crocker GF devil's food cake mix. That was an easier one to use and the texture wasn't grainy, much more like real cake. I'd recommend that again and may consider getting other GF Betty Crocker mixes in the future.

I've made cake pops using cake from a Betty Crocker GF mix (I've also made cakes from scratch and used those).  The cake pops are great because you mix the cake with frosting and then dip it in the candy coating (which of course has nasty ingredients but I do it for birthdays) so its all very moist and negates the normal GF flour issues.

Betty Crocker isn't bad. Also, a brand called Namaste is really good!

Yes to using only vanilla. I wouldn't make the cake/cupcakes more than a day ahead. Also, if you use coconut oil (make sure it doesn't "taste" like coconut) they are a bit moister than using butter or other oils.

King Arthur is the best mix. I also tried a local store brand the other day that I liked better than betty crocker, and it made more cupcakes than betty!