Menu

I am looking for a non-computer based German program for my logic aged son. Logische! was suggested on another forum here, and is looking quite good. I am interested in any more information about it from people who have used it, and any other suggestions before I commit to it!  I am thinking of starting with A1 level.

My son has done some Duolingo, but we are finding it no longer accessible from our rural dial-up and want to avoid as much computer in any case. Other than that he was loving the Duolingo and had gotten to around level 8 in the lessons about halfway through tier 1 as a translator. I know the slightest smattering of German only. Less than he does. He deliberately chose a language where he could be ahead of me in it.

I got a few books for German that I found on Amazon USA...but they seem to not be good fits for him--the ones for adults too hard, and the ones for kids too silly. I am hoping that the Logische! would be a better fit.

I am also looking for a concise encyclopedia in the German language, akin to what I have seen in Spanish published by Larousse. The sort of thing that would give a chance to learn a bit of another language at the same time as looking up a topic of interest. Nothing too detailed or technical, and good illustrations would be a plus.

I am also hoping to find a German tutor and wondering if you have any advice on how to find one -- what questions I should ask to try to decide if it would be a good person for the job. I cannot assess the person's abilities since I don't know the language myself.

Thanks in advance!

• 4 weeks later...

Here is a list of the most common available programs.  I only have a sample copy of Mittelpunkt, which doesn't look too bad.  All of these programs require a teacher who knows German, though.  

Here is an encyclopedia for children/teens.  

To find a German tutor I would try to find a college nearby with a German program.  Or contact the AATG.  

I am also hoping to find a German tutor and wondering if you have any advice on how to find one -- what questions I should ask to try to decide if it would be a good person for the job.

I managed to get a German au pair to tutor my boys for an hour a week on weekends for reading and simple grammar. I was looking for someone to improve on their conversation and reading skills so that work out for me.  Would a German Au Pair or nanny work for you?