Menu

How I know perimenopause has made me irrational

Tiramisu

LOL!  I used to get completely furious with DH for putting the empty milk jug in the paper recycling box instead of the plastic/cans bag.  Fortunately our town has switched to all-in-one containers.

What I wonder is how to stop myself from ramping up in the first place, or at least make myself realize what's really going on.  But if I could do that I'd have to be rational, wouldn't I?

I understand, Tiramisu.  Let's hope we both get through these times without causing too much destruction!  :smash:

It isn't funny but my friend went through this terribly.  There were many big changes in her life about the same time but she was not herself.  She had moved to AK so I didnt' see her much but talked to her.  She though had no clue it was menopause causing the trouble.  She (and her dh) suffered for almost a year until she mentioned something to the doctor who promptly gave her some cream and it was MAGIC.  Soon she was back to her old calm self.

I just told her I am glad she is older than me so now when it is my turn she will understand and can make sure I get relief.

Progesterone helps, for those who are willing to do hormone replacement. I had to start taking medroxyprogesterone due to chronic anemia, and it made the perimenopause symptoms disappear. Now, . I take a combo of synthetic and bioidentical progesterone,  and feel great. Lost 10 lbs, too! 

Evening primrose oil is also very good for perimenopause symptoms.  

see, i only take it out on myself.  I'm a terrible mother, i'm failing my kids, i've ruined their chances to ever make it in school because i dont make them do enough work, i'm never going to be able to find a job when I stop homeschooling, i'm a loser because my house is a mess, what's wrong with me . . . . 

well, except its mostly while i'm pmsing, for a full week.  Before the last couple of years, i didnt really PMS at all, and the last 6 months its been at least 5 days.  its horrible.  Esp since my cycle is also often only 23 days.  its a fourth of the time, just sitting around wanting to give up and fall through the floor because my life sucks and its all my fault. 

the rest of the time, I just do my best and accept that.  

Someone has taken my tweezers again. I never remember being so furious in my life.  :cursing:

I get it.

I didn't think I was that volatile in my 40's, until now...a decade later when I'm winding down the periods.  Now I'm more level, most of the time, and I really see it.  Hindsight is 20/20

Started bioidentical progesterone cream at age 40-totally calmed me down. Now age 44, I've been able to cut back my dosage some and still be ok

Read this book by John Lee "What your doctor won't tell you about pre-menopause"-really helped me and I know others on this board like it too!

Someone has taken my tweezers again. I never remember being so furious in my life.  :cursing:

I'm not alone!  Rage.  Pure rage.  Over missing scissors, dog leash, sharpie, whisk broom, etc.  If one of my "tools" is missing, I am ready to decapitate some family member.  And if they don't jump up off their behinds and start helping me to look for the missing item, I explode.

I'm surprised DH hasn't moved out.  He is the first one to be blamed for missing items.  The poor man can't do anything right.

BTW, I've started buying duplicates and hiding them in my bedroom.  I now have my own fingernail clippers, scissors, and sharpies.  The kids understand that it is death upon removal.  The don't borrow anything from my drawers!

I have this nice little plastic tool box that was stored in the broom closet.  Since the tools snap in place I can always tell when something is missing.  Enter youngest child and DH.  So many of my tools are missing that I recently  bought a new one and it is hidden in my closet.

I will win!  Lol!

i didnt really PMS at all, and the last 6 months its been at least 5 days.  its horrible.  Esp since my cycle is also often only 23 days.  its a fourth of the time, just sitting around wanting to give up and fall through the floor because my life sucks and its all my fault. 

:grouphug:  I mistakenly thought that my cycles would get longer.  Not so.  My last one was 21 days.  And I spotted nearly every day.  It feels like my life has become one big PMS fest. 

BTW, I've started buying duplicates and hiding them in my bedroom.  I now have my own fingernail clippers, scissors, and sharpies.  The kids understand that it is death upon removal.  The don't borrow anything from my drawers!

I have this nice little plastic tool box that was stored in the broom closet.  Since the tools snap in place I can always tell when something is missing.  Enter youngest child and DH.  So many of my tools are missing that I recently  bought a new one and it is hidden in my closet.

I will win!  Lol!

Several years ago, my aunt showed me a safe she had in her bedroom and told me that's where she keeps the scotch tape. 

Another plus: I am no longer a doormat and a professional victim.

It's typical for cycles to get shorter and then get longer. I've also had periods go away under stress and then come back.

I'm hoping they're gone for good this time, because I like this "plateau" of high energy and little need for sleep but I'm pretty young to be done.

My tolerance for idiots is pretty low, so I just avoid idiots. It's a good thing I had a "heads up" from my older friends, because my younger friends are concerned about my reclusive behaviour and it's geting on my nerves.

No HRT for me; I see it as a much needed second adolescence. There is no way I could have continued being the Amazing Martyr Mom for another 30-40 years and it wouldn't have been good for my kids if I had. Even my five year old is able to respect personal property like tweezers and help me look for them when I'm the one who misplaced them. No more spending all day walking across town because somebody thought their beer was more important than my bus fare and then apologizing for not having dinner on the table 40 minutes before I got home.

Maybe thats why i'm not a bitch, i am polite but i dont take crap, not since i left the first husband.  I didnt need to find my inner bitch.

i have to say, my period is sort of late - i expected it thursday or friday.  but 4 weeks would be wednesday, so i guess its just going the full 28 days. or skipping one, cuz i really thought i ovulated 16 days ago.  which also surprised me - i really thought i'd stopped already.  i'm 48, and recently just started looking at people having babies as kinda foreign - not just as in, i'm done, but as in, "Oh, look at the mating habits of the young humans, how cute" . . . . like it just has nothing to do with me.

My tolerance for idiots is pretty low, so I just avoid idiots. It's a good thing I had a "heads up" from my older friends, because my younger friends are concerned about my reclusive behaviour and it's geting on my nerves.

Interesting. I've become a bit of a recluse, too, and I like it too much to care much about what anyone thinks. And I'm generally a people lover. 

I was going to make a snarky comment about having to keep my eyes closed all day if I wanted to avoid idiots, but that would have been in poor taste. 

:smilielol5: You all are killing me!

not just as in, i'm done, but as in, "Oh, look at the mating habits of the young humans, how cute" . . . .

I was going to make a snarky comment about having to keep my eyes closed all day if I wanted to avoid idiots, but that would have been in poor taste. 

Pretty sure I told my mom the other day that I doubted my family members' intelligence.  Why would anyone continue to misplace my tools when they know it makes me go ballistic?