Menu

Dishwashing detergent in washing machine?

I found one "yes" response:

"Yes you can. I used Dawn dishwasher soap all the time when i'm out of laundry detergent, just use a little bit. I just usually give one squirt around the bottom of the washing machine then throw the cloths on top to prevent a lot of bubbles. We've all been there before. You can basically use any kind of soap for laundry just use less than you would of laundry detergent."

Be careful if you have dishwashing soap with bleach; that could cause trouble.

I would be hesitant, but if you're desperate to do laundry, it might be worth a try. Is there no place near you to get a little more laundry soap?

I don't have a dishwasher, so I've never used dishwasher soap in the washer - but I *have* used regular dish soap (many kinds) and shampoo both, when I've run out. Come to think of it, I was supposed to pick up laundry soap yesterday...and forgot. This morning might be a dish soap wash. ;)

Dishwashing liquid is fine.

Dishwasher detergent is much harsher and usually has bleach or a bleach-like substance. You might want to test a bit on colors and see if it's OK.

I had found a recipe online for taking stains out of baby clothes that used Cascade powder and hot water. It worked very well, but anything that was red, ran . . . So I'd be careful about what colors you use it with - whites or lights should be fine, but anything red may not (I don't know if other dishwasher detergents do the same thing, or not).