Menu

SO of Denise's post - Where can I get a non-home-made looking diploma?

Nan in Mass

Denise's post has confirmed my fears about homeschooling diplomas. I don't regret homeschooling. : ) Without homeschooling, I wouldn't be worrying about high school diplomas and international visas. I would just be worrying about high school diplomas, period. The international part is due to homeschooling. The situation with UMass Amherst isn't helping to calm my fears. (Fortunately, youngest has chosen to go elsewhere.) So - in my state, I can legally issue a high school diploma. I would like to do so using the name of our school. Where can I get a diploma that uses our school name and looks like any other high school diploma from an official, large-scale organization like a town high school? I could make a lovely handwritten one myself on parchment paper from the art store but that is not looking like the best option, with my children wandering all over the world. I want something that does not say homeschool and that is as official and legal looking as possible.

Nan

Nan,

Check out homeschooldiploma.com. The standard one has wording that might imply homeschooled, but if you get one of the personalized options, it can be customized. I looked through and found one for about $33 that seemed good. You can choose state wording, and special seals with the year of graduation. On the personalized one, you can also customize the signature lines so they just say Administrator, and not signature of Instructor. You can also add an "Honors" seal.

A few years back, I ordered one for my oldest, and it was nicely done.

Brenda

Nan,

Check out homeschooldiploma.com. The standard one has wording that might imply homeschooled, but if you get one of the personalized options, it can be customized... You can choose state wording, and special seals with the year of graduation. On the personalized one, you can also customize the signature lines so they just say Administrator, and not signature of Instructor. You can also add an "Honors" seal.

Agree. We got a diploma for each DS from there and were very pleased with their service and quality. Homeschool Diploma.

Thank you Lori and Brenda. That looks just like what I want. What an interesting niche market for a printing company.

Joan - Transcript for a job application... hmmm... in that case, I wonder if perhaps the English 1, English 2, English 3, etc. approach might be better than the more descriptive names I used. My approach was to make my boys' high school transcripts reflect as closely as possible what they actually spent their time doing and studying in high school. I also put SAT scores on it, etc. This might be too specific for job applications? I did it that way because I thought it would be better than a more generic approach for college application purposes. It didn't occur to me that it would be needed for anything else. I wonder if this is true in the US also? I know there are some jobs requiring security clearance or something where they investigate one's past history in great detail, but I'm not sure I've heard of any cases where the high school transcript was important. I have heard of situations where one needed to show one's high school diploma.

Nan

Nan - you made me wonder about my ds1's transcript from a private school and what was on it...

There is a place for Honors and Awards and another place for External Examinations.

For the subjects, they just gave the

Subject - year (included 'level', grade, and credit)

English - 9th (including actual year), 10th + year, 11th + year, 12th + year, 13th + year (they do 13 years in GE)

There isn't any course description per se, though it says for more info, look at the School Profile which they send with the transcript...That shows the SAT results with number of candidates, universities where their students are accepted, etc. Things impossible to replicate on our transcripts...

I'm hoping that either in this thread or another we could find out more of what people 'in the system' are getting for 'transcripts'

I'm going to ask my other son who's done job aps already...

Joan

Nan,

Check out homeschooldiploma.com. The standard one has wording that might imply homeschooled, but if you get one of the personalized options, it can be customized. I looked through and found one for about $33 that seemed good. You can choose state wording, and special seals with the year of graduation. On the personalized one, you can also customize the signature lines so they just say Administrator, and not signature of Instructor. You can also add an "Honors" seal.

Brenda

This is where we got dd's this year. $33 sounds about what we paid as well. We got it personalized with something like "12 years of Christian education" since she was not homeschooled from the K. But it does look professionally done. People with younger high school kids at her party were wondering where we got it.

One thing the paper copy of the transcript had (by that I mean the copy of the diploma + transcript + School Profile which came together in the sealed envelope)

is a red stamp reading

Official Copy

Guidance Department

_____School of Ge.....

As for the wording on the Diploma itself...

School name and insignia at the top

High School Diploma

This is to certify that

"name of student"

having successfully completed the required

courses of study, graduated from the Senior Class

of this School on 'date'

signature of director

Director

space to the right (ETC - LEFT) of that last - stamp of Official Copy (see above)

Also, just to say that the transcript from the umb school for ds3 was not nearly so pretty as what homeschoolers are doing...but it had all the exams and everything on it...

Joan

Funny story re. diplomas. Within the US, one occasionally hears of a requirement for a diploma, but the vast majority of what people or institutions want to see are transcripts, i.e. a records of what a student studied in their high school years. <P> Ds wants to move on in his work and no longer continue in his entry level teen job. He has also, coincidentally, opened a new bank account, and the manager invited him to apply for a job there. Ds inquired what was needed, and the manager said he had to have a high school diploma, and then he listed off several other requirements which ds meets nicely. When ds came home and recounted the conversation, I started laughing, pulled out the box that had arrived from the company mentioned upthread, and said to ds, "It's too bad you didn't tell the manager that we had ordered your diploma and it came in the mail two days ago!"

Funny story re. diplomas. Within the US, one occasionally hears of a requirement for a diploma, but the vast majority of what people or institutions want to see are transcripts, i.e. a records of what a student studied in their high school years. <P> Ds wants to move on in his work and no longer continue in his entry level teen job. He has also, coincidentally, opened a new bank account, and the manager invited him to apply for a job there. Ds inquired what was needed, and the manager said he had to have a high school diploma, and then he listed off several other requirements which ds meets nicely. When ds came home and recounted the conversation, I started laughing, pulled out the box that had arrived from the company mentioned upthread, and said to ds, "It's too bad you didn't tell the manager that we had ordered your diploma and it came in the mail two days ago!"

Oh that is too funny! My oldest called from Alaska (!!!) yesterday and was totally outraged when I said I was ordering youngest's diploma. His is from public high school. I could see him stomping around as he said, "And this cost HOW MUCH? You mean I could have ORDERED a diploma? Why did I bother going to school then?" (He hated high school so very much.)

Nan

I ordered Kid's diploma from HS diploma (above). We gave our HS a proper name a long time ago (it isn't "Asta's Happy Homeschool" or anything), so that went across the top, and the rest just looked like a "normal" college prep diploma. I like that HS diploma co. will do hand calligraphy and has real embossed seals so that it doesn't look like something made at Kinkos.

His school wants a high school diploma but not a transcript. Their take is that transcripts are meaningless, as there are no universal standards for coursework. All they wanted were standardized test scores. It kind of bummed me out after all the work I'd put into the d@mn course descriptions and formatting a decent transcript...

A

Asta (and everyone else) who signed it? There are various options for signatures. What titles did you choose and who signed over those titles?

I named the school a long time ago, Maureen translated our long-time modus operandi translated into Latin to use as the quote, and designing the seal is going to be fun (after I figure out how to operate the silly paint program). I like the "state" wording. The company seems to have worked out a great wording, nice and official and honest. I'm a big believer in honest lol. The signatures worry me.

Nan

What titles did you choose and who signed over those titles?The company seems to have worked out a great wording, nice and official and honest. I'm a big believer in honest lol. The signatures worry me.

Some families have both parents' signatures, with father as "principal", and mother as "instructor" or other "educational overseer" type of title. If having two signatures, both with the same last name as the student seems like it will cause a problem, then just go with one signature.

Maybe mix-and-match and create your own title from these ideas:

academic . . . . . . administrator

educational . . . . . superintendent

scholastic . . . . . . supervisor

. . . . . . . . . . . director

. . . . . . . . . . . counselor

What titles did you choose and who signed over those titles?

Nan

I thought there was one option that allowed you to use one of the lines for "Date" and the other for some kind of signature, so that would at least eliminate one of the signatures. I was leaning towards "Administrator" for the other one.

Brenda

We did Administrator/Instructor. To be honest - I let kid choose which one he wanted. And it won't matter that we all have the same last names because our signatures are completely illegible. :lol:

a

That's what my husband said, but unfortunately, my signature is legible. I haven't had to sign my name enough times for it to become illegible. It was getting there and then I taught two children cursive and developed a teacher's handwriting and it unillegibled itself. All that happens now when I go fast is that it looks more like a child's, one who is just learning cursive.

I thought there was one option that allowed you to use one of the lines for "Date" and the other for some kind of signature, so that would at least eliminate one of the signatures. I was leaning towards "Administrator" for the other one.

Brenda

That might be best.