Menu

Seeking on-line options for fine arts - something NOT limited to only homeschoolers

I haven't posted on here in awhile, but I knew you all would have some suggestions for me.

My son was homeschooled until high school. He is now enrolled in a public charter. He is working on scheduling his classes for his senior year next year. He is planning on dual enrolling at the local U for Honors Cal III as well as taking multiple AP courses. The challenge is working in the state required 1/2 credit for health and 1/2 credit for fine arts. The health is easy - the school has an on-line course they can facilitate. The challenge is the fine arts. We are looking at a few options. Ds is doing a summer college program this summer at WashU and could potentially take a fine arts class there (though he has already registered in two other classes - not sure if the couple of fine arts classes are still available - we are checking on that). Another option is dual enrolling at a community college. I *think* there is a once-a-week evening course he could do in music appreciation. He is already planning on enrolling in a Cal III Honors course at the local university, so that would mean he would be dual-enrolled at two different places.

I am trying to determine if there are any on-line courses he could do. It has to be something that is available to public school kids as well as homeschooled kids, however. I can't seem to find a list of courses for the Florida Virtual School? Do they have any fine arts courses? Ideally, it would be something that would be self-paced and totally independent. He's very self-disciplined, and it would be great if he could knock it out quickly. But, it is going to have to come from somewhere "accredited" (whatever that means), I suppose.

I have to admit, this fine arts 1/2 credit is a bit frustrating! He feels like it is getting in the way of the more "rigorous" courses he wants to take. He has studied classical piano for 12 years! But that doesn't count, of course! ;) We have an awesome GC, and she is willing to work with him so he can take what he wants at school, but we are all trying to work together to come up with some fine arts ideas.

Thanks in advance for any ideas!

FLVS has been the victim of a DDoS attack over the last couple of days and has been experiencing intermittent outages. That may be why you can't get to their course list.

They do have a music appreciate course, though, which my son finished a couple of weeks ago. It was a full credit, but I suppose your son could take just one segment. It was light. My son enjoyed it.

I believe they also have an AP Art History course.

And I know they have some things like guitar and photography, if those would count for him.

Okay, I just managed to open the course catalogue: http://www.flvs.net/Students/Documents/Course%20Catalog.pdf

It looks like they have a new, half-credit, non-AP Art History and Criticism course, too.

Bumping this up.

Can someone tell me if FLVS is self-paced?

Even though it is a bit pricier than Keystone, I seem to be reading better reviews about it. I thought I saw a one-semester music appreciation course as well?? But maybe not.

My ds is going to want to "knock out" whatever he goes with. I think the guitar would be fun for him, but I can't see him getting through it super fast. Seems like one would have to improve a certain amount which would occur over a semester!

Take a look at "Discovering Music," which has an online option for $15 per month. The course is self-teaching with online quizzes and options for projects. A motivated student could work through it during the summer.. You can contact Prof. Carol to see what she can provide in terms of documentation. She is very willing to help her students. You will also need a subscription for online music service for the listening exercises -- not expensive at all.

Will they count it if does a "free lance" type of option on his own time, squeezing it in between now and the fall? The Creative Live courses are actually for adults, and most don't assume prior knowledge. You watch the live version for free as a streaming option, or buy the recorded version to watch on your own. Many of them are 20-24 hours of class instruction. You could couple the course class hours with some hands-on projects to create a homeschool-style 0.5 credit. ;)

Here's the website: Creative Live. The options are mostly various types of digital photography, and then working with various image-manipulation software programs (which would easily count as a Digital Arts Fine Arts credit). I *highly* recommend the John Greengo Fundamentals of Digital Photography.

If you were interested in the Creative Live option, here are past threads with ideas on Photography Credit, and, Photography Class Resources.

BEST of luck! Warmly, Lori D.