Menu

Photography Class Resources

I plan to develop a high school level photography class for our co-op. Does anyone have any resources you'd recommend?

So far, I'm thinking that I'd like to cover:

• Basics of how a camera "sees"
  • Snapshots vs. Photography
  • Composition
  • Light (& Shadow)
  • Exposure
  • Perspective
  • Macro Photography
  • Landscape Photography
  • Portraits
  • Action
  • Still Life

The text that Landry Academy uses for one of their courses focuses pretty heavily on the digital aspect -- saving files, editting, online scrapbooks, that sort of thing. I'd prefer to teach a course about how to compose and take photos with any kind of camera.

Any ideas or suggestions would be much appreciated!

Creative Live has produced a series of "podcast" lectures by John Greengo that is outstanding for beginners, explaining focal length, aperture, shutter speed, etc. It is ten, 2-hour sessions for $129. Even though it is entitled "digital photography", it really applies to both print and digital photography: "Fundamentals of Digital Photography".

For a "textbook" that covers it all, perhaps consider Michael Langford's "Basic Photography".

I might be able to help. I did a course like this before my photography degree, it was a brilliant course, I still have my folders and could outline what we did, I just have to get them back as I think they are in my husband's car since I lent them to his brother. Basically it went through all aspects really methodically with lots of exercises. I'll write more when I track them down.

Kareni,

You are brilliant! I've been on these forums for several years and have never thought to winnow my search results to only the title. So, of course I spend far too much time slogging through irrelevant posts in any search I do. For that one tip alone, I am forever grateful.

Having just gone through the threads on this much more efficient search, I came up with many more resource ideas to paste on my OneNote page.

Thank you!

I'd prefer to teach a course about how to compose and take photos with any kind of camera.

I just wanted to say that I love this approach. It is too easy to think only about the latest and greatest photoshop and digital skills which will be fleeting as technology keeps changing. Having a good eye, thinking about composition, and creative seeing are skills which will last a lifetime and transcend technologies.