Menu

Was anyone a Fan of The Lone Ranger?

WandaMarks

I came across a site that is selling these shirts

http://www.rockworldeast.com/store/The_Lone_Ranger_T-Shirt_Tonto

and I was pretty confused. I thought this was an anceint show that is no longer airing?

Then again, I dont watch that much television.

I showed it to a friend of mine who was of the opinion of that the show was overly racist toward Native Americans.

Is that true? can anyone remember specific examples?

I came across a site that is selling these shirts

http://www.rockworld...r_T-Shirt_Tonto

and I was pretty confused. I thought this was an anceint show that is no longer airing?

Then again, I dont watch that much television.

I showed it to a friend of mine who was of the opinion of that the show was overly racist toward Native Americans.

Is that true? can anyone remember specific examples?

I never really watched the TV show (yes, I'm that old), but what I do remember of it, it was racist towards Native Americans, as most westerns of that time were. Anyway, a few years ago someone put some Lone Ranger DVDs in dh's stocking. He and our middle dd had a blast watching those together in the evening. She would set up her horse on the bed (bunch of pillows), get seated and wait for the opening music. There was much laughing at it, and usually some discussion about the way NAs were portrayed. Maybe I'll get them tickets to the new movie - special father/daughter time with some shared memories.

I loved that show as a kid, and was a big fan of Tonto! I had the action figures for both, and Tonto's horse, Scout. Still do actually, although my dc pretty much destroyed them. :( I think that shirt is horrid. Tonto looked nothing like that. I don't think the show was racist, just ignorant. Like much of everything else in those old shows.

I watched done the show as a kid.

Of course, it was in reruns by then, because I couldn't possibly be that old! ;)

I don't think the show was intentionally racist, either; I think people just didn't know any better. And FWIW, no one ever thought Tonto was stupid -- all the kids I knew thought he was really smart and cool.

I watched done the show as a kid.

Of course, it was in reruns by then, because I couldn't possibly be that old! ;)

I don't think the show was intentionally racist, either; I think people just didn't know any better. And FWIW, no one ever thought Tonto was stupid -- all the kids I knew thought he was really smart and cool.

You're probably right. Most people probably didn't find the show racist when it originally aired. Watching it today I do judge it differently.