What's with the ads?

#1 Mommyfaithe

Mommyfaithe

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8134 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 09:26 AM

Is it religious...other-than or non-Christian????

If it is neutral...that would be great. I like the creative look of it...and prefer religiously neutral materials for our science/ history. I can teach creation perspective easier with non-sectarian materials. I was also wondering if I can buy these manuals used so I can be free to pick and choose which activities to use.

Anyone here have any experience so far with Oak Meadow? I may just go buy a guide to see for myself, but would love opinions.

Faithe

#2 EKS

EKS

Qualified Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10299 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 09:37 AM

From what I've seen, it is secular.

#3 crstarlette

crstarlette

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1853 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 09:44 AM

We've used K, 1, and 5. Keep in mind we don't go straight through the book and do everything, so it's entirely possible that it said something religious/spiritual and I just missed it, but I haven't seen anything. It might say some spiritual things in the K-3 TMs. It's been awhile since I've looked at those, but those are really just for the parent to read to gain an understanding of the Waldorf philosophy of child rearing and education. They're not really "curriculum".

You can buy the books used on ebay or on a couple of different yahoo groups.

OM_HS

waldorfcurriculum-suppiles

#4 NanceXToo

NanceXToo

Cupcake Defender

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7196 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 10:15 AM

I've used K, 4, 5 and 6. It's secular. I have a lot about OM (for those grades, anyway) in my blog. Reviews and various stuff in the sidebar to left, daily blogging in the main entries.

#5 Jay3fer

Jay3fer

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1069 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 10:45 AM

Yup - everything I know about Oak Meadow, I know from Nance's blog. :-)))

#6 FairyMom

FairyMom

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1031 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 10:51 AM

Is it religious...other-than or non-Christian????

If it is neutral...that would be great. I like the creative look of it...and prefer religiously neutral materials for our science/ history. I can teach creation perspective easier with non-sectarian materials. I was also wondering if I can buy these manuals used so I can be free to pick and choose which activities to use.

Anyone here have any experience so far with Oak Meadow? I may just go buy a guide to see for myself, but would love opinions.

Faithe

It is secular because the curricula is accredited and used in public charter schools. In the younger grades, however, there are fairy tales and fantasy. There are gnomes and fairies and Father Sun, that kind of thing. In Social Studies there are lessons on other cultures and their faith, including Judeo/Christian, but they are presented as history lessons, not fact. Science is taught from the point of view of evolution, so I guess it depends where you fall on that measuring scale as to what you would be comfortable with. It is not anti-religion of any kind. We've done K, 1 and now 2.
Hope that helps.

#7 kewb

kewb

Empress Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4052 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 11:01 AM

I use Oak Meadow for English and Science and have found it to be secular.

#8 stripe

stripe

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13162 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 11:15 AM

So it's Waldorfy? I am not sure if that's exactly neutral, to me.

#9 kewb

kewb

Empress Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4052 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 11:26 AM

I have found it to be more Waldorf inspired. It has the nature emphasis that I like for the older grades without the stuff I don't like about Waldorf.

#10 FairyMom

FairyMom

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1031 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 11:36 AM

So it's Waldorfy? I am not sure if that's exactly neutral, to me.

Well, it is Waldorf inspired, but it isn't like Christopherus which has Saints, Old Testament and other Christian traditions. Oak Meadow is fairly neutral. What specifically would bother you?

#11 Annie Laurie

Annie Laurie

Empress Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3173 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 11:39 AM

Well, it is Waldorf inspired, but it isn't like Christopherus which has Saints, Old Testament and other Christian traditions. Oak Meadow is fairly neutral. What specifically would bother you?

She may be referring to Anthroposophy, which, from what I understand, is not present in Oak Meadow. But I've never used it so I could be wrong.

#12 FairyMom

FairyMom

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1031 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 01:35 PM

She may be referring to Anthroposophy, which, from what I understand, is not present in Oak Meadow. But I've never used it so I could be wrong.

It doesn't. There's no eurythmy or block lessons in Oak Meadow either, which is yet another reason Waldorf purists don't care for it.

#13 NanceXToo

NanceXToo

Cupcake Defender

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7196 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 06:04 PM

Right, it's Waldorf-inspired in the earliest years but not true Waldorf.

#14 Mommyfaithe

Mommyfaithe

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8134 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 07:05 PM

I've used K, 4, 5 and 6. It's secular. I have a lot about OM (for those grades, anyway) in my blog. Reviews and various stuff in the sidebar to left, daily blogging in the main entries.

Thanks...I will check it out.!!

What's with the ads?