Menu

What are some good books for a going into 5th grade reluctant reader girl to read...

Love2Smile

Hmm. My going into 5th grader this coming year daughter loved :

The Classic Starts series( not dumbed down just easier for them to read at their reading level ) :

Treasure Island

Swiss Family Robinson

Robin Hood

Magic Tree House Books

Henry Huggins

Ramona Quimy age 8

As a read aloud

Detectives in Togas ( they are just loving this story ) . I think its a little bit above a 4th/5th grade reading level in my opionion .

Those are just some I can think of at the moment . I'm all for letting her pick out what she likes to read as well as stories that I chose too . That kind of evens it out for the both of us .

My reluctant reader girls at that age liked to read Magic Treehouse, Lemony Snicket, and the goofy maid girl who always gets words wrong (Ramona?). It also helped them to have an audio version to listen to as they read. I found that it helped them to learn words that they had difficulty pronouncing, and improved tracking speed.

My youngest is a rising 5th grader and dyslexic. She is actually reading at grade level now though. These are the books she has enjoyed reading.

Warriors series by Erin Hunter -- animals

Samurai Mysteries by Dorothy Hoobler -- mysteries set in samurai Japan (pretty obvious from the title)

Percy Jackson and the Olympians series by Rick Riordan -- fantasy

Children of the Lamp series by P.B. Kerr -- fantasy

City of Ember series by DuPrau -- future earth

Lionboy series by Corder -- sci fi/fantasy

Artemis Fowl series -- fantasy

The series that turned my extremely reluctant reader into a bookworm is the "Magic Attic" series that a girl in her art class recommended to her. They did the trick!

She really enjoyed the Trixie Belden Mystery series that she started around that age.

She can't get her nose out of a book right now (parts of a series we picked up at the HS Convention for $1 each - from YWAM Publishing) - but if she will i'll hit her up for some other suggestions.

I have a RR too. She's loving Calvin and Hobbes right now. But Lemony Snicket got her going. She's also enjoying the Redwall Series, although to be honest we listen to much of those on tape. It's a bit beyond her reading level at this point. She also really enjoyed Chasing Vermeer and The Wright 3 by Blue Baillet (I believe that's the last name...)

There are some great suggestions here! I"m going to save this thread to refer to later...some of these we've never heard of!