Menu

My son really enjoyed The Once and Future King as part of his Medieval reading in 10th.

The first section of the book, The Sword in the Stone, was entertaining and appropriate for independent reading.

However, I would caution the reading of the rest of the book. Much editing will be needed even when reading aloud. Here is a link to Ambleside Online discussing this book: http://www.amblesideonline.org/TOAFK.shtm

Janell

This is the first time I have ever heard anyone raise this caution. Your link does not work, by the way.

The first section of the book, The Sword in the Stone, was entertaining and appropriate for independent reading.

However, I would caution the reading of the rest of the book. Much editing will be needed even when reading aloud. Here is a link to Ambleside Online discussing this book: http://www.amblesideonline.org/TOAFK.shtm

Janell

http://www.amblesideonline.org/TOAFK.shtml

I haven't heard concerns about TOAFK voiced before either.

http://www.amblesideonline.org/TOAFK.shtml

I haven't heard concerns about TOAFK voiced before either.

Thank you for the link. Frankly I believe the book is fine reading for high school students. Yes there are immoral actions within the Arthurian tale, but high school is the time to discuss these issues--not edit them. At least in my opinion.

The novel is divided into four "books". The first is called "The Sword in the Stone" and is all about Arthur as the boy "Wart", and his education by Merlin. This is lighter and accessible (and acceptable) for middle schoolers on up.

For a conservative family, there are potential concerns in the last three sections of the book -- mature themes and events that may lead a family to wait to introduce the book in its entirety until later high school years:

- Black magic of Morgaine and her seduction of Arthur; thru the black magic she bewitches him into thinking she is Guinevere. Morgaine is related to Arthur, and so their child Mordred is the offspring of incest.

- The infidelity of Lancelot and Guinevere. Also leads to a series of challenges in which Lancelot defends Guinevere's "innocence" and "honor" -- but both she and he ARE guilty, and so the challenges lead to a lot of other knights being injured or maimed for keeping up a false pretense for the sake of keeping King Arthur from publicly having to expose his wife and best friend. (Actually, that's a pretty modern-day political scandal parallel!)

- Sad marriage relationship of Elaine and Lancelot. They spend one night together as a result of Elaine desiring him and Lancelot desperate for Guinevere, and end up with a child; Lancelot -- while he does the honorable thing and marries Elaine -- spends the rest of the book moping and pining for Guinevere and avoiding his wife Elaine and truly being a husband and father.

- The lusty court of King Arthur. Once everything begins to unravel due to the betrayal by wife and best friend, Arthur's court all become lustful and pleasure-driven. (Again -- modern cultural parallel, anyone?!)

These elements are not gratuitously graphic, but it is quite clear what happens in each case. I believe this is part of the whole point of the actions -- they support the underlying theme that fallen man cannot bring about "heaven on earth", which was King Arthur's hope and plan for Camelot. Hope that is of help in determining suitability for whom and at what age. :) Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.

I just want to chime in and say it is a WONDERFUL book & I personally cannot read the end of The Sword in the Stone, where Wart first pulls out the sword, without getting all choked up and crying a little. Do read it, even if you decide not to use it in your homeschool.

Please forgive me for putting a caution about this book on the high school boards. My oldest is 13 and we are using Ambleside Online.

Janell

No need to ask for forgiveness! Content discussions are frequent over here on the high school boards. Parents of younger children sometimes do not realize how different their fifteen or sixteen year old will become from their now sensitive twelve or thirteen year old. Things that we just think our young teens cannot handle or understand they grasp in just a few years.

If anything, Once and Future seems pretty tame compared to some things that enter classical reading lists!

The novel is divided into four "books".

The underlying theme that fallen man cannot bring about "heaven on earth", which was King Arthur's hope and plan for Camelot. Hope that is of help in determining suitability for whom and at what age. :)

Thanks, Lori. Excellent as always.

I have never been able to make sense of all the King Arthur books out there, so I just haven't covered them at all.

Would you say that the Once & Future King is your top choice for covering the whole story? There are so many different choices, and I'm not sure what to consider "original" or "complete."

I do like the moral lessons you mention in Once & Future King.

Julie

Thanks, Lori. Excellent as always.

I have never been able to make sense of all the King Arthur books out there, so I just haven't covered them at all.

Would you say that the Once & Future King is your top choice for covering the whole story? There are so many different choices, and I'm not sure what to consider "original" or "complete."

I do like the moral lessons you mention in Once & Future King.

Julie

That is the source of our current modern vision of "Arthur & the Knights of the Round Table." It's not very original as far as the actual Arthurian texts. If you want to go a little bit further back but still idealized you can try a translation of Chrétien de Troyes's works.

I read and enjoyed this book at the age of 14. I no longer remember it well enough to know if I'd consider it appropriate for age 14 or not; I was allowed to read whatever novels I wanted to read. I can't remember if I liked that or the triology by Mary Stewart better

1. The Crystal Cave (1970)

2. The Hollow Hills (1973)

3. The Last Enchantment (1979)

).

I can't remember when I read those, since the last one was later, but I think I read all 3. It looks as though there may have been a 4th; it's called the Merlin triology.

I don't remember if I read other King Arthur books anymore as it was long ago and far away. I did like the ones I mentioned.

I suspect that I'd let my dc read it, since I think I would recall if it was terribly shocking. I suspect that if I reread it I'd think it no worse than real history.

Edited by Karin