Menu

Cozy Grammar ( Why isn't it more popular?)

Hunter

I just subscribed and downloaded package #1 of Cozy Grammar and Punctuation from Mindbites.com for $99.00. Why isn't this curriculum more popular? I just sat and watched grammar for 4 hours, and enjoyed it :-0 When she was in her house she reminded me of a hobbit :-)

She explained when one type of punctuation should be used instead of another. That type of explanation might be narrow and controversial, but it is really helpful to me right now. When I have been writing I have had too many choices and have had no idea which one is preferable or even definitely correct. I feel confident that I can follow her rules and not be wrong.

So...there must be something about this curriculum that I'm too uneducated to notice is lacking?

The only thing I noticed is that there isn't as much practice as some families would like. It looks enough for families who use unit studies and would be applying what is introduced in the videos and worksheets to their unit study texts. I've seen many many curriculums with just 20 practice problems, though, so...?

OK...please sell me. :D I've watched her sample lessons for years and years and never put down the cash to buy it. I think my bottom line fear is that none of her lessons will *stick*, regardless of how endearing she appears. I just want to live in her cottage by the beach.

I printed out the 2 workbooks last night. If there were any more review I think people would be complaining there is too much review, in the way they complain about Saxon. I'm not sure why all the reviews I've read, say there isn't enough review :-0

I have recently started diverting the bulk of my educational budget towards basic language arts curricula, that in the past decades, I only covered with cheap workbooks.

I think it was a mistake to divert the bulk of money towards the maths and sciences and foreign languages. As my boys went through junior college and I watched a good friend transfer from a 2 year college to finish her degree at a 4 year college, it was always basic language arts where I saw all 3 of them stumble. None of them used their advanced maths and sciences in school, never mind their careers.

Part of my schooling was in Bermuda where the teachers and available resources in English and basic maths were strong, but the higher maths and sciences were weak. When I click on educational websites on the island today, they are still crying out for maths and sciences competitive to the USA. I think they are making a big mistake. In the past their schools may not have produced many doctors, but their graduates could read and write and do basic math far above the Americans.

I have moved myself back to about 4th grade Language arts and am starting over. I'm buying the best I can afford. I'm pulling back from maths and foreign language to make more time for it.

$99.00 is a lot!! But I see people here spending more than that on all sorts of stuff. So...it's more that people don't spend money on grammar...than that they don't spend it on Cozy Grammar? Hopefully Marie is going to teach me alternatives to the "..." I always depend on to get my point across :-0

I'm tired of not being able to spell and punctuate and write. It's a rare moment when I'm sorry about my math and science weaknesses.

Funny that this program should come up - we're actually reviewing this for the Canadian distributor right now and so far we're very pleased. The review should be up by the end of May, but my initial impressions will be on my blog later in the week.

Please let us know when you post it. I'm interested to read your review.

I'm assuming you are also reviewing package #2 of the intermediate materials. I know so little about Grammar I have no idea what to even look for in an intermediate program, and if I even need one.

I knew I needed punctuation help, and threw in the basic grammar, as it wasn't much more expensive than the punctuation alone.

mindbites doesn't seem to be offering the essay course. Are you reviewing that too? I'm pretty well set with writing for right now with my Step Up to Writing materials...but...interested to hear about the essay videos.

I'm just fed up to my eyeballs with certain language arts weaknesses that I want fixed as soon as possible. I had a similar issue with my handwriting last winter and am so happy with the results of having spent some time and money on this skill. Spelling and punctuation are next on the list.

I think it's worth every penny!!

I partnered it with Primary Language Lessons and Intermediate Language Lessons, which has worked well for us.

I'm going to be ordering Intermediate Grammar 1 for my soon to be 7th grader.

ETA: I think a lot of people haven't heard of it.