Menu

Home Economics?

Guest Cheryl in SoCal

Guest Cheryl in SoCal

We are using Alpha Omega LIFEPAC's and my kids are hating them. Not only do they find them boring but the LIFEPAC's seem to be written for girls, and they are not girls:tongue_smilie: Don't publishers know that boys take Home Ec?! Do we really need units on Inner Beauty in a Home Ec book? They are in the unit on cooking right now, which isn't as bad as some of the previous units, but they aren't liking it and I'm a little afraid to find out what the sewing projects will be.

What else is out there? I ended up with this because I couldn't find anything else at a High School level. Am I just not looking in the right place? HELP!!!!

Though it doesn't include hands on, take a look at Paradigm Curriculum. They have a course called Practical Home and Shop Skills. After your student completes that, they could decide on an interest and pursue it. CLE has textbook courses for small engines, etc. Bunkhouse Sewing has materials for boys. There are many options for cooking, but Sue Gregg has a few courses -- baking with whole grains is one.

P.S. How do you schedule home ec/ life skills? Bt the time we finish the academic day and music practice, we are done!!

Edited by 1Togo

My boys will be doing Home Ec because I think it's going to be valuable to them as future bachelors and then hopefully as future fathers...I'd like some grandkids thank you very much.

But, Home Ec has been largely abandoned by secular publishing companies and religious ones somehow think it's only the province of women, men need not be able to have any life skills that do not revolve around power tools and cars. So, I am going to do my own. I'll use a health course first. There are several that are 1/2 credit and one that is kind of life fitness based but then during the second semester, I will teach them basic sewing skills, cooking, meal planning, etc. I know of several single dads who wish their mothers had taken the time to teach them. They'll have to do the family laundry for one week, grocery shop and cook all of the meals for one week (with the caveat to Mr. Pizza Boy that the family will only eat pizza once that week!), put together their own first aid kit, discuss pediatric medicines and proper dosaging, dd is going to give them a course in CPR (they won't be certified but they will know how to do it), thoroughly clean from top to bottom the kitchen and bathroom, learn to make homemade non-toxic cleaners, and make a household budget.

For the budgeting, dh and I decided we would have them assume that they will be making what dd will make as a full-time paramedic. This will "provide" them with enough hypothetical money to plan for a tiny apartment in our county, beater car, car insurance, some living expense money, etc.

It will be mostly self-designed but I'll keep some work in a portfolio so I can document the credit of home ec for boys, should a college ever ask.

Faith

We do a self designed "course", too, if you wan to call it that. I won't award credit for it - it is something I would teach my kids even if they were attending public school. Just part of life. I expect my kids to have enough credits so they won't need it on the transcript to fulfill the requirements.

I see this as an ongoing education throughout their childhood. Not sure how I would define "high school level home" ec - they get to learn tasks appropriate for their ages.

We will combine this with personal finance which, again, we do without a bought curriculum - we discuss finance on an ongoing basis and the older they get, the more insight they get into the family finances and their management.

What I will outsource is a first aid course which I consider very important (in my home country, you have to be certified in first aid in order to get a driver's license, and you must carry a first aid kit in your car at all times.)

P.S. How do you schedule home ec/ life skills? Bt the time we finish the academic day and music practice, we are done!!

The same way I schedule housework around my job and homeschooling. Home ec simply happens when household tasks happen. Sometimes that is during the weekend, or on evenings, or during school break.

Much of our financial ed happens during family meals.

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
Though it doesn't include hands on, take a look at Paradigm curriculum. They have a course called Practical Home and Shop Skills. After your student complete that, they could decide on an interest and pursue it. CLE has textbook courses for small engines, etc. Bunkhouse Sewing has materials for boys. There are many options for cooking, but Sue Gregg has a few courses.

Thank you!!! The Paradign course looks like it would be a good add on to the LIFEPAC Home Ec course (add on because it doesn't cover cooking, and sewing - their request). I'll bet I could take out the girly units (it's a 1 year course) to condense it into a semester and then use Practical Home & Shop skills.

I actually have the boys sewing book from Bunkhouse Sewing. Unfortunately, my boys are way too big for the patterns (the 15 year old is 6'2" in his bare feet, LOL). I think we could probably make it through the the sewing unit and modify anything too girly as I am a pretty proficient seamstress.

Time, what is that? Hahahaha! Well, we are behind in Home Ec because it takes a back seat to academics and they aren't liking the girlishness of it if it makes you feel any better (we've only completed about 1/4 of the 1 year course. I think what I'll do is weed out half of the units so it's more appropriate for them (they do want to learn sewing and cooking) to complete this year for a 1/2 credit Home Ec course and do the Paradigm course next year. Thanks again!!!

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
My boys will be doing Home Ec because I think it's going to be valuable to them as future bachelors and then hopefully as future fathers...I'd like some grandkids thank you very much.

But, Home Ec has been largely abandoned by secular publishing companies and religious ones somehow think it's only the province of women, men need not be able to have any life skills that do not revolve around power tools and cars. So, I am going to do my own. I'll use a health course first. There are several that are 1/2 credit and one that is kind of life fitness based but then during the second semester, I will teach them basic sewing skills, cooking, meal planning, etc. I know of several single dads who wish their mothers had taken the time to teach them. They'll have to do the family laundry for one week, grocery shop and cook all of the meals for one week (with the caveat to Mr. Pizza Boy that the family will only eat pizza once that week!), put together their own first aid kit, discuss pediatric medicines and proper dosaging, dd is going to give them a course in CPR (they won't be certified but they will know how to do it), thoroughly clean from top to bottom the kitchen and bathroom, learn to make homemade non-toxic cleaners, and make a household budget.

For the budgeting, dh and I decided we would have them assume that they will be making what dd will make as a full-time paramedic. This will "provide" them with enough hypothetical money to plan for a tiny apartment in our county, beater car, car insurance, some living expense money, etc.

It will be mostly self-designed but I'll keep some work in a portfolio so I can document the credit of home ec for boys, should a college ever ask.

Faith

We do a self designed "course", too, if you wan to call it that. I won't award credit for it - it is something I would teach my kids even if they were attending public school. Just part of life. I expect my kids to have enough credits so they won't need it on the transcript to fulfill the requirements.

I see this as an ongoing education throughout their childhood. Not sure how I would define "high school level home" ec - they get to learn tasks appropriate for their ages.

We will combine this with personal finance which, again, we do without a bought curriculum - we discuss finance on an ongoing basis and the older they get, the more insight they get into the family finances and their management.

What I will outsource is a first aid course which I consider very important (in my home country, you have to be certified in first aid in order to get a driver's license, and you must carry a first aid kit in your car at all times.)

Thank you both!!

They will be doing a separate Consumer Math course (MUS Stewardship) and First Aid course (First Aid for Colleges and Universities by Pearson). I'm an RN who used to be ACLS (Advanced Cardiac Life Support) certified so I too feel a detailed first aid course is mandatory. I also require A&P for similar reasons. They have also already completed a Health course (boring LIFEPAC, we'll use something else with the rest of our children and are open to suggestions!).

They do know the basics (they often make their own food, clean the house, home repairs, etc) and haven't receive credit for them but wanted something "official" to teach them the finer points of cooking/sewing/etc. When we had a roofing tile slip last year it was my 9th grade ds who climbed onto the roof and made the repairs:001_smile: My dh was going to do it but my ds WANTED to do it so my dh instructed/supervised. Neither of us know anything about cars so the Paradigm course looks like it will be a good fit. My 16 yo has also studied basic first aid on his own with his survival books (personal interest). He has a fully stocked first aid kit/survival kit and can start fires without matches:001_smile: If we are ever in an emergency situation I want to be with him!

Just thought I should explain better in case it helps bring in additional suggestions:001_smile:

Edited by Cheryl in SoCal
put in ds instead of dh, LOL.

Regentrude, I understand your point about it being life-skills and not awarding credit. However, I require it from both a life skills and an academic perspective. My boys have to write a term paper each semester of my self-designed course...one on a first aid topic, one on a nutritional topic. Eight pages each, full bibliography. They have "lab" notebooks to keep, notetaking to do, and far more projects to complete than if they were just learning those skills as they worked along side me. Additionally, I require other academic work besides just basics. It is actually quite intensive. So, it is worth high school credit.

We require eight credits hours per year of high school, so I guess our transcripts probably look rather "padded" to begin with though I don't know how two years of formal logic, two years of high school Latin in addition to two/three years of modern foreign language, practical drafting, astronomy, etc. can be "padding". I guess I bristle at the concept that something that was once quite revered in high school (my mom took so much Home Ec in high school that she learned catering, blueprint and schematic reading, etc.) can be considered unworthy.

But, I see your point that if it is really only based on working with mom and learning the skills as you go without formal structure and research assignments, then not giving credit is wise.

Faith

Guest Cheryl in SoCal

OK, now after looking at CLE's courses I'm torn. Their "Home Repair & Maintenance" and "Car Care" courses look great. Has anyone used these?

Their descriptions of their Home Ec courses made me chuckle. Um, probably not appropriate for my boys, LOL.

Home Economics I

10 LightUnits - 1 Credit

This 10-LightUnit course introduces high school girls to skills and knowledge needed to be godly wives, mothers, and homemakers. Many hands-on assignments provide practice in these skills.

LightUnits 1-4 cover food preparation from basic nutrition to smart shopping to putting tasty food on the table. LightUnits 5-7 teach sewing from the basics of sewing machine operation to actually sewing clothing. LightUnit 8 discusses how to keep a godly home clean and clutter-free. LightUnit 9 covers child development from birth to the preteen years.

LightUnit 10 focuses on the student herself, giving her guidance in becoming a godly woman. She is challenged to understand herself, God’s plan for her body, her relationship with God, friendships, modesty, singlehood, and Christian courtship. (Grade 9 and up)

Home Economics II

Each LightUnit - .1 Credit

The three LightUnits in this course give step-by-step directions on how to prepare a conservative Mennonite-style cape dress pattern, sew a cape dress, and construct a three-piece, cap-style Mennonite woman’s veiling.

The materials include guidelines on modest dress for Christian women, how to choose and alter a pattern, Biblical directives on the women’s veiling, care of the veiling, three cap-style veiling patterns, a hanging veil pattern, and tips on care of the veiling.

The three LightUnits together make up three-tenths of a high school credit. (Grade 10 and up)

Just a comment on the classes. I got a book on the history of our county from the library. It was published in the 70s, but at least up to 1975 our local high school had a carpentry class. It says CLASS not club and there is a picture of a house they built in the book. A brick raised ranch with a brick fireplace. It's quite nice looking for a 70s ranch. I remember home ec in high school(1985 graduate), but not carpentry so that was neat to see. As my dh is a carpenter my ds will undoubtedly end up with at least one full carpentry credit on his transcript. I like the idea of doing a term paper in conjunction with the hands on experience. Thanks!

I guess I bristle at the concept that something that was once quite revered in high school (my mom took so much Home Ec in high school that she learned catering, blueprint and schematic reading, etc.) can be considered unworthy.

Oh, I had not meant to imply that it was unworthy! I really did not want to give that impression. And I see how you make it credit worthy by fleshing it out as an academic course.

I personally am just not that interested in housekeeping to bother making it an academic course -of all the things I would want to go deeper, this would be on the bottom of my priority list because *I* don't particularly enjoy it. I aim at the skills, that's good enough for me, and prefer to spend our time with other stuff- I'd rather have my kids earn a credit in rock climbing and mountaineering ;-)

In public school, my older ds made a duffel bag for sewing. It was a good experience, but it was in 7-8th. My youngest did sewing (mostly repairing, changing his clothing & things) & other projects (leather, wood, etc) in 7-8th. The high school sewing I've seen at convention displays is far beyond my ability!

For high school, I like the Julicher's materials. Ds & dh have done some of the Cooking & Science book, and possibly will do some of the Car one in the spring:

http://www.castleheightspress.com/

Ds also is allowed to stop his book work for any project with his dad. So not planning out all of the credit helps allow for the spontaneous experience. If he doesn't do much with dad, I like the idea of finding another mentor. In the end, I will probably combine all his experiences into an elective. I probably won't call it Home Ec, but will find an appropriate title from the Family and Consumer Science classes at our local schools.

Julie

Regentrude, rocking climbing and mountaineering? That is sooooo COOL! My middle boy would love that. Unfortunately, if he and I attempted to embark on such an adventure, we'd likely be killed on the first day of class! LOL

I think that's wonderful.

Oh, and to the OP. When dd was in the midst of her college interviews, the unusual credits on her transcript were always brought up in the interview and in positive ways. You'd be surprised how many professors thought it was really neat that she knew how to sew clothing, create a meal plan, read a blueprint, and could spout of the nutritional needs of the average four year old or how to cook a diabetic friendly meal. They said it was a breath of fresh air because every single prospective freshman that came through had pretty much the exact same things, ad nauseum, on their transcripts. I guess that's a testament to how little choice there is in many schools. These individuals spoke well of her Latin, astronomy, logic, music theory (as opposed to just choir or band or music appreciation), etc.

I wonder what they will say about ds's MIT opencourseware Kitchen Chemistry along with Chem I or his Visual Basic Programming credit?

Faith

Edited by FaithManor

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
Glencoe has several options for Family & Consumer Sciences. I just got their Food for Today and it looks like an excellent introduction to foods.

That looks very good. Did you order just the student book and workbooks or also the teacher edition?

That looks very good. Did you order just the student book and workbooks or also the teacher edition?

So far, I only have the student text and the workbook. The workbook is very good, but if money were tight you could get by easily with just the textbook. I found them both (although I did get the 2005 edition) on Amazon for less than $20 total. I haven't bought the teacher edition, and so far in this book, I don't see any reason I'll need it.

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
So far, I only have the student text and the workbook. The workbook is very good, but if money were tight you could get by easily with just the textbook. I found them both (although I did get the 2005 edition) on Amazon for less than $20 total. I haven't bought the teacher edition, and so far in this book, I don't see any reason I'll need it.

Thanks! That's good because the website seems to suggest that they only sell the student materials to individuals. I'll show it to my ds who is most interested in cooking. It would definitely be an improvement on the 2 measly LIFEPAC's that cover cooking.

Are the student materials consumable?

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
The student text is non-consumable. The workbook is consumable. If it would be helpful, I can list the units and chapters tomorrow.

Thanks! I was able to find the Table of Contents online but thank you for offering!

We are doing a Life Skills course. It includes:

Home Maintenance: housecleaning, meal planning/budgeting/grocery shopping, laundry (includes some simple sewing repairs), lawn care, house repairs and upkeep (minor stuff).

Car Maintenance: routine maintenance, cleaning, repairs (either DIY and/or having it repaired). Our CC often offers a 8 hr course over the summer for teens.

Job Preparation: preparing a resume, interview skills, job hunting and gaining work experience, networking.

Volunteering/Community Service: we do this alot through church, scouts, and Civil Air Patrol. I want them to learn that there is more to their community than what they typically experience in their daily lives. It goes beyond "doing good deeds". It is important for them to know their community, community leaders, private owned businesses, etc.

Personal Finances: we are doing this as part of a Consumer Education and Economics course.

Technology/Computer Skills: Doing this as a Computer Fundamentals course. Also plan to have the teens do at least one online course to familiarize them with that format of classes.

Health Care: We used Lifetime Health as a health course. But also they will take a First Aid/CPR course this summer that is offered through CC.

And some other basic life skills such as managing time and study skills, relationship/communication skills.

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
Please provide a link as I would like to take a look at the TOC. Thanks!

It's on the drop down "Program Information" menu.

https://www.mheonline.com/program/view/2/20/1333/0078883660/

Unit 1 Food in Your Life

Chapter 1 The Amazing World of Food

Chapter 2 Diversity at the Table

Chapter 3 The Food Supply

Chapter 4 Food Science and Technology

Unit 2 Nutrition Basics

Chapter 5 Nutrients at Work

Chapter 6 Carbohydrates

Chapter 7 Proteins and Fats

Chapter 8 Vitamins and Minerals

Chapter 9 Water and Phytochemicals

Unit 3 health and wellness

Chapter 10 Nutrient Guidelines

Chapter 11 Keeping a Healthy Weight

Chapter 12 Health Challenges

Chapter 13 Life-Span Nutrition

Unit 4 Food Decisions

Chapter 14 Eating Patterns

Chapter 15 Vegetarian Food Choices

Chapter 16 Meal Planning

Chapter 17 Shopping for Food

Chapter 18 Serving Food

Unit 5 Kitchen Basics

Chapter 19 Food Safety and Storage

Chapter 20 Preventing Kitchen Accidents

Chapter 21 Equipping the Kitchen

Chapter 22 Conserving Resources

Unit 6 The Art of Cooking

Chapter 23 Using Recipes

Chapter 24 Preparation techniques

Chapter 25 Cooking Methods

Chapter 26 Developing a Work Plan

Chapter 27 Creative Additions

Unit 7 Food Preparation

Chapter 28 Fruits

Chapter 29 Vegetables

Chapter 30 Grain Products

Chapter 31 Legumes, Nuts and Seeds

Chapter 32 Dairy Foods

Chapter 33 Eggs

Chapter 34 Meat

Chapter 35 Poultry

Chapter 36 Fish and Shellfish

Chapter 37 Beverages

Unit 8 Food Combinations

Chapter 38 Sandwiches and Pizza

Chapter 39 Salads and Dressings

Chapter 40 Stir-Fries and Casseroles

Chapter 41 Soups, Stews, and sauces

Unit 9 The Art of Baking

Chapter 42 Baking Basics

Chapter 43 Quick and Yeast Breads

Chapter 44 Cakes, Cookies, and Candies

Chapter 45 Pies and Tarts

Unit 10 Global Foods

Chapter 46 Foods of the United States and Canada

Chapter 47 South America

Chapter 48 Foods of Western, Northern, and Southern Europe

Chapter 49 Foods of Eastern Europe and Russia

Chapter 50 Southwest Asia, the Middle East and Africa

It's on the drop down "Program Information" menu.

https://www.mheonline.com/program/view/2/20/1333/0078883660/

Unit 1 Food in Your Life

Unit 2 Nutrition Basics

Chapter 6 Carbohydrates

Unit 4 Food Decisions

Chapter 16 Meal Planning

Chapter 18 Serving Food

Unit 5 Kitchen Basics

Chapter 23 Using Recipes

Unit 7 Food Preparation

Chapter 28 Fruits

Chapter 29 Vegetables

Chapter 32 Dairy Foods

Chapter 33 Eggs

Chapter 34 Meat

Chapter 35 Poultry

Chapter 37 Beverages

Unit 8 Food Combinations

Unit 9 The Art of Baking

Chapter 42 Baking Basics

Unit 10 Global Foods

Chapter 47 South America

Thank you!!! This looks great.

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
Does anyone know the major differences between Glencoe's Food, Nutrition, & Wellness and Food for Today?

Food for today has more pages (868 vs. 579). From what I can tell Food, Nutrition, & Wellness is more about dietetics with some food prep while Food for Today's focus is on food preparation with some dietetics, if that makes sense:lol: And, that is just my impression from reading the website and TOC. Here is the TOC for Food, Nutrition, & Wellness:

Unit 1 Food in Your Life

Unit 2 Nutrition Basics

Chapter 6 Carbohydrates

Unit 4 Food Decisions

Chapter 16 Meal Planning

Chapter 18 Serving Food

Unit 5 Kitchen Basics

Chapter 23 Using Recipes

Unit 7 Food Preparation

Chapter 28 Fruits

Chapter 29 Vegetables

Chapter 32 Dairy Foods

Chapter 33 Eggs

Chapter 34 Meat

Chapter 35 Poultry

Chapter 37 Beverages

Unit 8 Food Combinations

Unit 9 The Art of Baking

Chapter 42 Baking Basics

Unit 10 Global Foods

Chapter 47 South America

It looks like you accidentally posted the same thing again. Here's the TOC I come up with for Food, Nutrition & Wellness:

Unit 1 - Choose Wellness

Chapter 1 Wellness and Food Choices

Chapter 2 Physical Fitness and Active Living

Unit 2 - The World of Food

Chapter 3 Food and Culture

Chapter 4 Food and the Marketplace

Unit 3 - Food and Kitchen Safety

Chapter 5 Food Safety and Sanitation

Chapter 6 Kitchen Safety

Unit 4 - Food and Your Body

Chapter 7 Nutrients: From Food to You

Chapter 8 Dietary Guidelines

Chapter 9 MyPyramid and You

Unit 5 - Nutrition for Life

Chapter 10 Choices for Your Healthy Weight

Chapter 11 Fuel Up for Sports

Chapter 12 Nutrition Throughout the Life Cycle

Chapter 13 Vegetarian Choices

Chapter 14 Special Health Concerns

Unit 6 - Smart Food Choices

Chapter 15 Consumer Issues: Fact vs. Fiction

Chapter 16 Planning Nutritious Meals and Snacks

Chapter 18 Eating Well When Away From Home

Unit 7 - From Kitchen to Table

Chapter 19 Kitchen Equipment

Chapter 20 Skills for Preparing Flavorful Food

Chapter 21 Cooking Basics

Chapter 22 Organizing the Kitchen

Chapter 23 Serving a Meal

Unit 8 - Learning About Foods

Chapter 24 Grains

Chapter 25 Vegetables

Chapter 26 Fruit

Chapter 27 Milk

Chapter 28 Meat, Poultry, and Fish

Chapter 29 Eggs, Beans, and Nuts

Chapter 30 Fats and Oils

Unit 9 - Combination Foods

Chapter 31 Salads

Chapter 32 Quick and Yeast Breads

Chapter 33 Mixed Foods and Snacks

Chapter 34 Desserts

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
It looks like you accidentally posted the same thing again. Here's the TOC I come up with for Food, Nutrition & Wellness:

Unit 1 - Choose Wellness

Chapter 1 Wellness and Food Choices

Chapter 2 Physical Fitness and Active Living

Unit 2 - The World of Food

Chapter 3 Food and Culture

Chapter 4 Food and the Marketplace

Unit 3 - Food and Kitchen Safety

Chapter 5 Food Safety and Sanitation

Chapter 6 Kitchen Safety

Unit 4 - Food and Your Body

Chapter 7 Nutrients: From Food to You

Chapter 8 Dietary Guidelines

Chapter 9 MyPyramid and You

Unit 5 - Nutrition for Life

Chapter 10 Choices for Your Healthy Weight

Chapter 11 Fuel Up for Sports

Chapter 12 Nutrition Throughout the Life Cycle

Chapter 13 Vegetarian Choices

Chapter 14 Special Health Concerns

Unit 6 - Smart Food Choices

Chapter 15 Consumer Issues: Fact vs. Fiction

Chapter 16 Planning Nutritious Meals and Snacks

Chapter 18 Eating Well When Away From Home

Unit 7 - From Kitchen to Table

Chapter 19 Kitchen Equipment

Chapter 20 Skills for Preparing Flavorful Food

Chapter 21 Cooking Basics

Chapter 22 Organizing the Kitchen

Chapter 23 Serving a Meal

Unit 8 - Learning About Foods

Chapter 24 Grains

Chapter 25 Vegetables

Chapter 26 Fruit

Chapter 27 Milk

Chapter 28 Meat, Poultry, and Fish

Chapter 29 Eggs, Beans, and Nuts

Chapter 30 Fats and Oils

Unit 9 - Combination Foods

Chapter 31 Salads

Chapter 32 Quick and Yeast Breads

Chapter 33 Mixed Foods and Snacks

Chapter 34 Desserts

Oops, guess I stayed up too late, LOL. Thanks for posting the correct info!