Menu

transcript paper

Guest Barb B

Guest Barb B

So, I want ds's transcript to look like all the other's admissions people see. So what kind of paper does one use? Security paper? I know this seems trivial, but I hear that as homeschoolers it is good to have transcripts look like all the others coming in to admissisons. No use having our transcript scream "homeschooler alert". What kind of paper to use; I already plan to get an embosser made so our transcript looks like it is from a brick and mortar school.

Barb

We just used regular old printer paper here last year!:glare:

I'd read that many of the colleges just have office workers scan the guidance counselors' materials into their computers for the admissions officers to read online. So I made sure to use white paper/new black ink cartridge so that the transcript would scan well.

Four years ago, for my ds, we used a nicer quality paper I'd purchased at the office store. No embossers for either kid, though we were sure to label it as an "Official Transcript" and to sign it at the bottom.

~Kathy

The universities we applied to all scanned the documents in before even looking at them, so I don't think the paper matters.

Why don't you want them to think she is a homeschooler, though? My daughter applied last fall to colleges, and got in *because* she is a homeschooler! She applied to regular large universities. They all want a diverse population, and so being different is good!

Yep. Plain white paper.

Why don't you want them to think she is a homeschooler, though? My daughter applied last fall to colleges, and got in *because* she is a homeschooler! She applied to regular large universities. They all want a diverse population, and so being different is good!

I totally agree! In my view, my ds's homeschool status was an advantage. He didn't blend in. I would encourage you to highlight the ways that your student's homeschooling experience enabled him to move beyond the traditional, and explore/achieve/contribute in ways that would not have been otherwise possible.

Best of luck with the college process!

Yep. Plain white paper.

I totally agree! In my view, my ds's homeschool status was an advantage. He didn't blend in. I would encourage you to highlight the ways that your student's homeschooling experience enabled him to move beyond the traditional, and explore/achieve/contribute in ways that would not have been otherwise possible.

I'm sure it was the homeschooling experience that helped my daughter get into really great universities and programs (and money!). Because she was homeschooled, she had lots of interesting extracurriculars (theater, dance) that don't ordinarily go with a science major.

We used plain white paper and an embossing stamp, and all the transcripts were acceptable, except for one university.

One university sent it back saying it was not official and had been opened and they needed an official transcript sent directly from the school. I decided to placate them. I didn't know what they were actually looking for, so I printed another one, added the word "Official" to the top, used the same embossing stamp, and placed it into an envelope labeled "Official Transcript". I placed that envelope into a second envelope and mailed it. They accepted that transcript. I don't know if they liked the word "official" or the second envelope, but apparently they got what they wanted.

Guest Barb B

Thanks all! Trying to get all my work for admissions done before the school year starts! I did order an embosser today. I decided to go with regular paper.

Barb

I agree with others that any homeschooling is considered a benefit these days at many universities. I just used plain white printer paper. My husband made up a table for me that I inserted my info into. The schools wanted to see my course descriptions, too, so I attached those voluminous lists. No one had any problems with my documents, so far as I know. Ds got into all but one school (and we knew that one was a stretch).

We used plain white paper and an embossing stamp, and all the transcripts were acceptable, except for one university.

One university sent it back saying it was not official and had been opened and they needed an official transcript sent directly from the school. I decided to placate them. I didn't know what they were actually looking for, so I printed another one, added the word "Official" to the top, used the same embossing stamp, and placed it into an envelope labeled "Official Transcript". I placed that envelope into a second envelope and mailed it. They accepted that transcript. I don't know if they liked the word "official" or the second envelope, but apparently they got what they wanted.

:lol:

One university sent it back saying it was not official and had been opened and they needed an official transcript sent directly from the school. I decided to placate them. I didn't know what they were actually looking for, so I printed another one, added the word "Official" to the top, used the same embossing stamp, and placed it into an envelope labeled "Official Transcript".

I was warned by several people to be sure to put Official in the name at the top. So ours said: Our High School Name -- Official High School Transcript

Not sure why schools are so worried about that word -- but they seem to be. :)

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
Silly question, but.......What's an embosser? :001_huh:

Not silly at all; I was thinking the same thing:lol:

Guest Barb B

An embosser is the thing that puts a raised seal on paper. If you look at a transcript or diploma from a school - you will see a round seal, usually with the school name around and a symbol of some sort in the middle. Office Max and Office depot carry them and you can order them with your own information on it. I ordered one for about $30 - I put "Prince Edward Academy" (Prince Edward Ct is the name of our street - thought it sounded cool for a school name) along the outer circle and the picture of a book in the center. I don't know if it is needed but it was fun to pick out and hopefully makes the transcript look official for any picky schools!

Barb

• 3 years later...

Many schools you will just be submitting a PDF anyway. As a counselor I see lots of public, private and homeschool transcripts. Public and private transcripts are simple, no fancy fonts, no colors, not a lot of different point sizes. It should be about including the necessary information in an easy to read layout. You should know that if you are submitting on paper it will often be scanned and viewed on the screen. Some schools also work from the transcript to fill out their own form and calculate a new GPA. Embossing, fancy flecked paper, lots of fonts, fancy folders, etc. just get in the way. The most professional presentation is really simple.

I'm also a fan of clear labeling and appreciate it if "homeschool" is included in the name of the school. Sometimes when homeschool isn't included it creates a hassle for financial aid with processing. At our state university if your homeschool is named something like Pine Street Academy financial aid assumes the school has submitted your paperwork for the scholarships that come directly from the state. If it is called Pine Street Homeschool Academy they know they need to do the extra step. That's not to say it is a disaster if it doesn't say homeschool, but I personally don't see any advantage in trying to make your homeschool look like a traditional private school. Own your difference and make the most of it.