Menu

History- am I missing something with modern?

I've been looking at history options now that my oldest is in high school and my youngest will finish SOTW soon. Most programs I'm finding tend to "bottom out" early. I was just looking at MFW high school, and it ends at 1877. BF ends around the Vietnam War. MOH is still in development. Am I missing programs that have a more complete modern timeline? I'm thinking of a timeline that goes into the 1990s.

Ones I know off hand that go past Vietnam War: Story of the World, Vol. 4, Human Odyssey (World History), and Hakim's History of US, Vol. 10. I also believe that BJU's US Hisitory and World History texts go to current history.

Dd and I added SOTW Vol. to the end of her world history this past year, we really enjoyed it!

Good Morning!

We just finished up TOG Year 4 Redesigned, which covers American and World history up through the first year of Obama's administration. Highly recommended! AS you probably know, Tapestry of Grace is a a4 year history rotation: Yr 1 covers ancient history through the Fall of Rome, Yr 2 covers the fall of Rome through the signing of the American Constitution, Yr 3 covers the 19th century, and Yr 4 covers the 20th century. Literature is studied chronologically.

Hope this is helpful for you!

Blessings,

April

A Short History of the 20th Century, Geoffrey Blainey, is very well done, and a really nice read. I would also look for a coffee table type book, the ones w/ all the pictures. We find that they make a really nice framework and jumping off place.

I was just looking at MFW high school, and it ends at 1877.

MFW's fourth year of high school (1877 to modern history) is still in the pilot stage, but I'm sure it will be out next spring. They've put out a new year every spring for as long as I've been using them (except the first year of high school took two years of pilot families). If someone was desperate, it's possible they could join the pilot program this coming year.

Does that help?

Julie

Good Morning!

We just finished up TOG Year 4 Redesigned, which covers American and World history up through the first year of Obama's administration. Highly recommended! AS you probably know, Tapestry of Grace is a a4 year history rotation: Yr 1 covers ancient history through the Fall of Rome, Yr 2 covers the fall of Rome through the signing of the American Constitution, Yr 3 covers the 19th century, and Yr 4 covers the 20th century. Literature is studied chronologically.

Hope this is helpful for you!

Blessings,

April

April: Were you able to jump into Year 4 without doing Years 1-3?? Very curious.

Faithe

I've been looking at history options now that my oldest is in high school and my youngest will finish SOTW soon. Most programs I'm finding tend to "bottom out" early. I was just looking at MFW high school, and it ends at 1877. BF ends around the Vietnam War. MOH is still in development. Am I missing programs that have a more complete modern timeline? I'm thinking of a timeline that goes into the 1990s.

Ambleside Online's Year 11 is Modern Hx.

Faithe

Of course, it's not World History, but it's not unusual to do a year of American focus in high school.

Hey there Holly-

After finishing TOG Year 3, I began searching for another option for 20th century. Decided not to reinvent the wheel and stick with TOG for Year 4 =D . All three of my remaining kiddos will study the same period. The teacher's notes are awesome, student accountability questions challenging, requires much thought to complete than Sonlight's. In addition, I like studying American and World concurrently to see how it all fits together.

JMHO,

Teresa in NC