Menu

Please help!! Not sure what to do...

I am not sure what to do. We have recently moved to East Texas and need to find a place that does independent study, or maybe like an umbrella school. I am not exactly sure what we are needing. Heres the short story. We have brought my husbands 15 yr old sister here to live with us. She has always gone to public school. She thinks she wants to continue on with public school next yr (junior). For now I am looking for some type of independent study program or some type of umbrella school that will handle her transcripts. I am not sure how to go about this. The local school here said that they did not know what independent study was. Her old school in CA will not release her transcripts to her mother. They say they need to fax them to the new school.??? I do not have a new school yet. I have been giving her work here so at least she is doing something. Does anybody know about any umbrella schools here or anything to that nature. How do we get her transcripts?? Please help as I am totally lost on what to do. We are about 2 hrs east of Dallas if that helps.

Erin

Mom to 6 + 1 more

In Texas the colleges/universites accept a homeschool transcript--no need to join and 'umbrella school'---so you will probably not find one in the state.

If you are looking for a correspondance school then Texas Tech has one that is considered a Public School and will issue a diploma from the State Board of Education (Public Schools MUST accept all credits/grades in a transfer). You can start classes at any time. http://www.depts.ttu.edu/uc/

Also see if there is a community college near your location. Most in Texas will allow students to take classes once they are 16. In the Austin area our students can take 2 classes each semester for FREE (well other than expensive text books!)--I pay an out of district fee of $40 per class for my dd. These classes can count for high school AND college.

Most school districts in Texas reserve 'independent study' for students with health issues... and in those cases a teacher is assigned to check on progress.

I am not sure what to do. We have recently moved to East Texas and need to find a place that does independent study, or maybe like an umbrella school. I am not exactly sure what we are needing. Heres the short story. We have brought my husbands 15 yr old sister here to live with us. She has always gone to public school. She thinks she wants to continue on with public school next yr (junior). For now I am looking for some type of independent study program or some type of umbrella school that will handle her transcripts. I am not sure how to go about this. The local school here said that they did not know what independent study was. Her old school in CA will not release her transcripts to her mother. They say they need to fax them to the new school.??? I do not have a new school yet. I have been giving her work here so at least she is doing something. Does anybody know about any umbrella schools here or anything to that nature. How do we get her transcripts?? Please help as I am totally lost on what to do. We are about 2 hrs east of Dallas if that helps.

Erin

Mom to 6 + 1 more

They don't do that here. (I'm from California originally, and owned/administered an ISP there).

FTR, you should be able to get a *transcript.* Schools are funny about releasing *cum files* to the parents, but a transcript...they owe you that, for goodness' sake. You can't even enroll a high school student without a *transcript.*

Why don't you contact the local regional support group, Heart of Texas? They will not know what an umbrella school/ISP is, but they might know of a resource, such as a homeschool-friendly Christian school that would temporarily enroll your niece long enough to request her records.

I tried to start something like an ISP here, but folks just weren't all that interested.