Menu

We have mice...again!

Had to get pest control out here last year about this time for a mice problem. Well, they are back. Ds saw one downstairs and when I went to look, lo and behold there is this very bold little mouse sitting in the middle of the floor. Nice. I hate mice. I loathe mice. How do they keep getting in? We thought pest control sealed off all possible entry locations. Guess not. How do we keep them out? My house is far from squeaky clean (no pun intended) but certainly not "mouse material" if you KWIM. Sigh...I won't be sleeping well tonight. We teased my ds9 that he needed to tell his hamster to stop inviting his "friends" over.

We had gray field mice get into our new house quite frequently. (Three cats, so we often found gruesome remains. Dh is masterful at trapping live mice in buckets and carting them back outdoors.) Builders came and plugged up all the holes they could find. Still had mice. Finally, dh went around the house himself during the summer and sprayed insulating foam into every possible crevice. He thinks they were getting in via an extremely intricate route from one of the heating/cooling ducts. Anyway, that did it. We haven't had a mouse since (except for one that came in from the garage). You *really* want to stop them coming in so they don't start reproducing inside the walls and floors. (We had that happen in our old house while it sat empty waiting for sale. The mice chewed through the dishwasher hose!)

Yrs ago we adopted the kitten of a stray (I am pretty sure the mom was a ferral cat) She is an awesome hunter. Every yr when it starts to get cold, critters try making their way into our attic. She starts camping out in certain spots, yr after yr. Never have never heard anything for more than a couple of days, so she knows where they are trying to get in and takes care of the problem before it becomes a long term one.

We tried to give her to the people that are buying our house b/c this mountain is her home. She has been here since she was a little kitten. They declined. I am sad for her and for them. They have no idea the amount of wildlife she keeps away and sad for her b/c she is so used to roaming and being queen of the mountainside. I did find someone on land to give her to. I just hope she doesn't run away from them. :(

I can sympathize. We had a bad mouse problem when we lived in a house trailer. I was a mess. I couldn't sleep because you could hear them running about. During the day, I would see them in amongs the kids toys. :eek: It was awful.

We moved three years ago to an older home. I thought, whew, the mouse infestation is over. Wrong. We have them here too. Mind you, it's not as bad as it was in the trailer. My dd told me yesterday that she saw a grey blob (we are assuming that is a mouse and not some other living creature) moving down the hallway. This is the second mouse that we have seen upstairs this year. I know there are more in the basement, but out of sight, out of mind.

We have tried everything, Mouse traps, glue traps, humanitarian traps, cats, steel wool. You name it, we have tried it, but nothing works. I think they are making mice too smart these days.

Julia

mom of 3 (8,7,5)

When I first read the thread I thought maybe you got mice as pets again!

Then I read what you wrote:rolleyes:

Fortunately my cats take care of any rodent, insect or unknown species in my house.

So, maybe you can borrow a cat from someone for a few days??? Or better yet, go buy a kitten:D

Guest Virginia Dawn

I second the cat. Ours caught one in my son's room 2 days ago. We haven't had them for a couple of years, but this winter appears to be colder. I know there is at least one more in here, because of the way the cat has been staring under the washing machine.

Had to get pest control out here last year about this time for a mice problem. Well, they are back.

We have garage kitties - dh and 1 child have mild allergies to cats. But our garage has never ever had any live mouse in it. Is there a chance you could borrow someone's cat for a couple days? hehehee

Other than that, the only thing you can do is some detective work to try to find out how they are getting in. Check especially around any pipes exiting the house - like pvc exhaust pipes for your water heater, furnace, etc.

Had to get pest control out here last year about this time for a mice problem. Well, they are back.

I laughed this morning when I saw this, and thought of you. It looks like it will really work. Enjoy!

How to Catch a Mouse With a Toilet Paper Tube

Last time we had a mouse problem we tried this method. Looked simple enough, but it didn't work. We have the catch and release trap now which worked, but our problem was way beyond that by that time. When I heard one in our bedroom one night, I called pest control the next morning. I didn't care how much I had to spend. Once they invaded MY space, they were DEAD! LOL! Thanks for the link, though!