Menu

I'm looking for a unit study on presidential elections. Any recommendations?

I recently bought Spotlight on America: Elections from Teacher Created Materials. It's for Grades 4-8. I am going to use some parts of it and omit others. It would work well in a classroom/co-op setting because of the public speaking, debate and class election activities.

another plug for some teacher books geared for classroom use :-)

Our co-op is doing Gvt/Citizenship this semester which will lead to a unit on elections in August. We have already selected a few little bopoks from the local teacher store to utilize. But they are at a friend's house so I don't know what the titles are, lol.

Good luck!

In 2004 C-Span in the classroom had some great stuff. They sent me a huge US map that had all the electoral college information on it and a few other things. I'm not sure what they're offering this year but here's the link: http://www.c-spanclassroom.org/Campaign2008_Resources.aspx

hth

That website has some really great resources. We don't have tv service, so it's nice to be able to flip through the campaign ads and see what the buzz is about.

Sebastian

Percival Blakeney Academy

This is a storybook about a local election, not a unit study. But it covers aspects of an election that normally don't appear in kid's books like debates and what if mean (or untrue) things are said about the candidate. I discovered this the year that we were helping MIL run for reelection for a local office. It's a nice intro to how elections work.

Sebastian (a lady)

Percival Blakeney Academyhttp://blakeney-academy.blogspot.com/

I have no unit study recommendations, but here are the titles of some of the books my younger son and I have enjoyed on the topic:

Presidential Elections and Other Cool Facts

Election Connection: The Official Nick Guide to Electing the President

Presidential Campaigns: From George Washington to George W. Bush

Duck for President

None of these are affiliate links if that sort of thing matters to you.