Menu

What have you all used for American History?

My dd is going to be a senior (!), and we need to to American History and Government with her.

What recommendations do you have for this?

I'd think about Sonlight Civics, but that's a whole year course and she needs the history too. Their American History is on too low a level for her.

What about Notgrass?

Is there anythng that has the history and the civics/government? in one?

We could do a textbook I suppose.

This year she did Sonlight's 20th Century course and loves the reading.

I am coming up short on ideas, and I'm saying to myself, after all these years home schooling, how is this the case?!

But it is.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks so much!

Hello! As the mother of a rising senior, I can commiserate about getting vital things done in only one more year. We are using TOG for history, so that is no help for you. However, If I only had one year to do Am History, I would consider Bill Bennett's new program, called, America, the Last, Best Hope (or something to that effect). I looks like it comes with some cool teaching goodies (maps, project ideas, etc). If you like the looks of Notgrass, would it be possible to use both the Am Hist and Gov't in one year? We need to do a comprehensive overview of Am Gov't for my senior, so I may look at Notgrass. Another gov't possibility is from Great Source. I don't have the book myself, but I have seen it recommended by others on this board. I could certainly be done in a semester by a motivated student. The Civics core from SL looks totally awesome to me, and if we have indefinite amounts of time to complete this homeschool journey, I would really look hard at it. Unfortunately, my son just doesn't have time for that on top of TOG year 4.

Have you done econ? if so, what did you use? We need to do that this year as well. I am planning to get the econ lectures from the teaching Co (currently on sale, I hope...), but I am not sure what text I want to use.

If your student would like the challenge of AP courses and your wallet can take the hit, you might wan to look at some of the offerings from PA Homeschoolers. I don't have a link, but I am sure some wonderful person here could supply it for us (grin). They offer AP US Gov't and AP Comparative Gov't as well as AP US History. The comparative gov't class looks very cool - my younger son would probably enjoy that in another year.

Blessings as you get this all figured out!

April

Jumping in here because I am wondering the same thing. Does Bennet's book set come with the materials you mentioned or is there a separate education set? I did not see a separate homeschooling set when I googled it.

If you like the looks of Notgrass, would it be possible to use both the Am Hist and Gov't in one year? ... Have you done econ? if so, what did you use?

April

Thanks April --

I thought I would contact Notgrass and find out what they think about doing the American plus the Gov't the same year.

I guess it might depend on the total amount of course work she will have to work on.

We have not done economics. Okay, there's something else to add. Uh oh.

But thanks, I will look at your suggestions. Also, yes, the SL Civics did look good to me too.

Jumping in here because I am wondering the same thing. Does Bennet's book set come with the materials you mentioned or is there a separate education set? I did not see a separate homeschooling set when I googled it.

All I could find was online extras you could buy access too at their website. They claim to have everything a teacher could want, but I couldn't find details. The samples were pages of the book, which can be browsed at Borders.

Has anyone bought access to them? Is it worth it?

I used Notgrass' American History this past year for my 9th and 11th graders and was very pleased with the program (2nd edition). I like how they combine English and History together too.

This coming year I will use them for Government, but I haven't looked at the actual book for that yet.

Just wanted to say that I had ds do Sonlight 300, as you did. I called it "The 20th Century: American History in The World Context" on his transcript, since he needed some sort of AH for college, but I wanted to remain in the rotation and set that history in context. I felt it focused enough on America that I could count it. He was accepted. It probably helped that he did a lot of American GB's.

Thanks everyone. I guess I got blindsided with the fact that this is her last year (duh, she's a junior this year). There has been too much going on in my family, and here I am with her a senior in the fall. Well, I guess my first choice would be to look into the Notgrass American History plus the Government; I will talk to them and see what they say. I do like the idea of getting the credit for English, Bible, and History with Notgrass. DD likes the idea of that too. But I will look into the Bennett book as well, and of course, there are always textbooks we could do, and Teaching Company videos, etc. Hey, speaking of videos, there are probably enough Ken Burns films for a whole American History course! Now there's an idea for enrichment.

I gotta get all my catalogs out now.

Thanks for the thoughts!!

My dd is going to be a senior (!), and we need to to American History and Government with her.

What recommendations do you have for this?

I'd think about Sonlight Civics, but that's a whole year course and she needs the history too. Their American History is on too low a level for her.

What about Notgrass?

Is there anythng that has the history and the civics/government? in one?

We could do a textbook I suppose.

This year she did Sonlight's 20th Century course and loves the reading.

I am coming up short on ideas, and I'm saying to myself, after all these years home schooling, how is this the case?!

But it is.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks so much!

I switched to Notgrass American history mid-year. I am very happy with it, and my dd is learning a lot. I could kick myself for not using it from the beginning. I like its narrative flow and conservative POV that does not deny some of the darker times in American history.

It is a separate set. The site is Roadmap to the Last Best Hope. http://www.roadmaptolastbesthope.com . I found it very worthwhile. If you go to the site, last time I checked, they had a whole sample chapter online. It has a lesson plan, maps,timelines, primary source list, essay questions,debate questions, multiple choice test. I think it was something like $30. For me, that was a verey good deal.

I do like the idea of getting the credit for English, Bible, and History with Notgrass.

I know My Father's World is piloting 1/2 of Notgrass American with Government and Literature, and their years usually achieve a credit in Bible, English, and History.

That is just to say that I think your plan can be done! However, if you did it this way, you might have to choose which half of American History you do in your one remaining year.

• 1 month later...
It is a separate set. The site is Roadmap to the Last Best Hope. www.roadmaptolastbesthope.com . I found it very worthwhile. If you go to the site, last time I checked, they had a whole sample chapter online. It has a lesson plan, maps,timelines, primary source list, essay questions,debate questions, multiple choice test. I think it was something like $30. For me, that was a verey good deal. __________________

Does the $30 get you the Teacher and the Student materials? On the same password? Or does dc have access to the assessment materials, once I give him access to the student materials?