Menu

Ideas for reading recovery over the summer

jeri

Right now my dd, 9, is in school. She is and ESL student since we adopted her from overseas 13 months ago. Due to her age, she was placed in third grade but she is really struggling. I am going to do some intensive math over the summer with her, but I need some ideas for reading. I would like something she can do on her own, such as online or a cd. Starfall is not thorough enough--it needs to be a more complete program. I'm thinking along the lines of those SRA programs we had when we were kids or a series of levelled books (I know, they are twaddle, but it's what we need right now). Another of my ESL kids used Reading Recovery pretty successfully this year, buut for some reason due to her age dd didnn't qualify. Any ideas?

Jeri

I would try either Headsprout with the I See Sam readers (sets 1-3 go with the first half of Headsprout, set 4 goes with the 2nd half, sets 5-8 will take you up to 3rd grade level) or Abecedarian with the I See Sam readers.

Headsprout is on the computer and is pretty thorough for what it covers. It only goes up to middle or late 1st grade level though.

Abecedarian requires a teacher, but has levels that go up through 6th grade.

Another option is Phonics for Reading by Curriculum Associates. It is intended for remedial use and starts at the beginning. http://www.curriculumassociates.com/products/detail.asp?topic=T0R&sub=T0R3&title=PhonicsReading&Type=SCH&CustId=8614316713005101103223

She actually knows her phonics pretty well, thanks to SWR. The problem is finding her enough easy readers and listening to her read! She just needss to do it over and over to build up fluency. I was hoping for a fun, game-type program, that would let her see some success.

Any other ideas?

jeri

:iagree:Books on tape are great. My BIL was ESL when he came to live with us. Reading along in the book (repeatedly if needed) while listening to the words was great help to him. He stuggled the first year, then all of a sudden all he ever used was English. Good luck.

Danielle