Menu

What do you use for 7th/8th grade vocabulary?

Jenileigh

I bought it to use over both 7 & 8th grades but we started it this week because my ds was finished with his spelling. We'll do chapter 1 then stop for the summer and resume in Sept.

My older ds uses Vocabulary for the College Bound Student at his private high school; I liked the format which is the same as VFTHSS.

I did NOT like Voc. from Classical Roots.

I have no experience so I can only tell you what we have planned for next year. We will be moving on to our 3rd year of Latin and completing 2 progeny press guides with the added vocabulary in addition to lots of reading of quality literature. I hadn't really thought of adding a separate vocabulary program. I have been considering vocabulary development to be one of the reasons we are doing Latin.

We began using Vocabulary From Classical Roots this year, and I have been pleased. I also started having the children keep a notebook with them as they read this year. When they come to a word they don't know, they write it in their notebooks. After looking up a certain number of words to define, they get a small reward, like a new paperback of their choice. This has seemed a very practical approach to vocabulary.

Terri

Have you considered the words found in Word Power in the Reader's Digest? I'm guessing that most of the adults on this board can easily get through them but the average American adult, I'm finding, often does not know the words and so, I'm guessing, that it would greatly benefit a middle-schooler. HTH!