Menu

Anyone see this article about endorsements in "mommy blogs"?

[shrug] It's a temporary phenomenon, a technical glitch, if you will. Companies are trying to figure out how to make money from the internet, and they're throwing money up against the wall to see if it sticks.

And your opinion only holds water with me if I know something about you that makes your opinion worth more than the electrons they're printed on. Caveat emptor, as always. Know your sources, and look for bias.

I really don't see that this is an issue that the FTC should be taking up at all. Just about every single book review published in a newspaper, magazine or journal was reviewed by someone who got a free copy of the book.

When I read a review of a camera or a video or a music cd, I have every reason to believe that the reviewer did not pay for the item they reviewed.

And your opinion only holds water with me if I know something about you that makes your opinion worth more than the electrons they're printed on. Caveat emptor, as always. Know your sources, and look for bias.

:iagree:

I just don't get the whole mommy-blog thing, though. I don't get excited about reading how another family, with whom I have no connection, have kids with orange fingers. And it certainly doesn't make me want to run out and buy a bag of Cheetos. :tongue_smilie:

I don't have interest in reading blogs from unknown people (even those I have something in common with such as motherhood or homeschooling) who ramble about odd and mundane things. I may read a recipe blog from time to time looking for something special, as long as it's not interwoven with odd rabbit trails of vomiting kids, job stresses, and trips to the park. But I really don't follow blogs of people outside of family and a couple of friends. I have a blog and it's predominantly pictures of my kids and family news--but it's written to be read by grandparents, aunts, uncles, and such. Strangers would find it terribly boring, and I want it that way! :)

Probably one of the most annoying things of all is to read on a message board (this one sometimes, but others are worse) how a poster has something very important to say so click on the blog link to find out. Now I have an idea why. No thanks!

The advertisers mentioned in the article just don't like me! However, I am curious to see if this type of "subversive advertising" works in the long run.

Probably one of the most annoying things of all is to read on a message board (this one sometimes, but others are worse) how a poster has something very important to say so click on the blog link to find out. Now I have an idea why. No thanks!

(In my experience) Most of the time that someone does that, it's because they've already written the story/etc out, added photos, etc - it would be kinda silly for them to re-write the whole thing, attach/link the pics, etc... much easier to link to the blog post. ;)

(In my experience) Most of the time that someone does that, it's because they've already written the story/etc out, added photos, etc - it would be kinda silly for them to re-write the whole thing, attach/link the pics, etc... much easier to link to the blog post. ;)

I do not advertise anything on my blog. Like you said, it's just easier than retyping what I've already written.

I read quite a few blogs, but I'm really tired of the contests and reviews. I have one IRL friend who is really bad about it. She gets lots of stuff free from advertisers in exchange for reviews on her blog. Blech. I've noticed her blog doesn't have the meat it used to about homeschooling.