Menu

PLease list your very favorite games for learning add/sub facts..

Wanting to purchase more games to help my 7yo with her math facts. We played "Go to the Dump" just now and she really liked it. Wondering if there is a card game in RS that will help her master her facts through 10 and not just sums of 10 as in 'Go to..." Anyway, What else it out there. Looking for board games, card games, computer games, ect.

Thanks,

Sandy

When my dd was there, we'd use dice. She'd roll the dice, and would have to add the total of whatever came up. As she got better, I'd play with her, and she'd try to beat me to the answer. We laughed so hard sometimes! AND she learned her facts, because it was fun! With the addition, she eventually got up to 4 die, but by then she knew it well and we moved on to other things. We ended up doing the same thing later as she learned her multiplication.

Dd really liked "Sum Swamp." Ds has started playing it now. :)

We like it, too. We bought 10 sided dice so we could do larger sums.

I also think we'll use it for multiplication later, they'll either have to divide by 10 and round the answer (42 = 4.2 = 4) or add the digits of the sum they get (42 = 4+ 2 = 6) so the numbers will be reasonable for the board.

When my dd was there, we'd use dice. She'd roll the dice, and would have to add the total of whatever came up. As she got better, I'd play with her, and she'd try to beat me to the answer. We laughed so hard sometimes! AND she learned her facts, because it was fun! With the addition, she eventually got up to 4 die, but by then she knew it well and we moved on to other things. We ended up doing the same thing later as she learned her multiplication.

We do the same thing, in fact I just bought a new set of dice with twelve sides instead of the traditional six. When she masters this set, I'll buy the next set, which has twenty sides.

We like it, too. We bought 10 sided dice so we could do larger sums.

I also think we'll use it for multiplication later, they'll either have to divide by 10 and round the answer (42 = 4.2 = 4) or add the digits of the sum they get (42 = 4+ 2 = 6) so the numbers will be reasonable for the board.

Now why didn't I think of that? Great way to make it useable longer.

Thanks,

Sandy

You can do 'Go to the Dump' to make 9, 11 and 12 too.

We also have 'how to make 10 days' where we concentrate on the fact that make 10, or whatever number we are working on that day. We make the sums with slips of paper then glue then in a notebook with the heading 'How to make X'. DD enjoys doing that because she has to work out what makes that number first, she has also started to remember how many ways there are to make something so knows when she is missing 1. We use manipulatives to aid where necessary.

We like to use dice to and have 6 sided, 10 sided and ones labeled +4, -3 etc which are great.

We play bean bag catch for the simple +or-1, +or-2 which don't need to be checked with manipluatives. We also stand together in the middle of the room. One step back towards to the door for a correct answer, one step forward away from the door for incorrect, first one out the door wins.