Menu

Heading to Colorado Springs...need your best advice

We'll be in Colorado Springs for about a day and a half and would love to hear your "not to miss" things to do list.

We're heading up Pike's Peak on Sunday morning but so far that's all we have planned for certain. Our hotel is near the Air Force Academy so we'll bop in there and have a look around. I'm mostly interested in your best advice for manageable, biggest bang for your buck (i.e., time--since we don't have much) hikes, historic walks, etc.

My impression of Manitou Springs is that it's very tourist-y. Is that a fair impression? We're interested in seeing Garden of the Gods--is that a good use of our time--any favorite hikes to do there?

Our boys are 11 and 12 if that helps in your advice.

Thanks so much!

Yes, Garden of the Gods is a must-see. There are various hikes of different levels you can do there, athough you may want to just drive through. You'll be at about 6,000 feet, and hiking without acclimating to the elevation might be tricky. Garden of the Gods will certainly be the best bang for your buck, though.

Other things to consider, if you have time are: Seven Falls. It's on the southern end of the city, and you'll be north near the Academy, so you may not make it to this. But it is worth seeing.

Also, if it's something you're interested in: Focus on the Family has it's national headquarters there.

Have a great time. I'm happy to be back east, but I do still miss the Springs a lot.

ETA: Yes, Manitou is very touristy, and over-priced. It's pretty good for shopping, and possibly a bite to eat. I'd imagine your boys might find wandering through gift shops a little dull. Since you only have a day or so, I'd say skip it.

Edited by RegularMom

Drink lots of water when you are here it is very arid and high altitude. Visitors are prone to altitude sickness. The pikes peak drive is rather long and is much more enjoyable if you plan to stop at least twice on the way up, bring snacks. The doughnuts at the top are great.

Red Rocks Canyon is a great hike. God of the Gods is awesome with plenty to see. Stop at the visitors center to get a good overview and hiking maps. They do have horseback riding tours that your kids are old enough for.

Cave of the Winds is very nice. It is quite a bit more narrow than many other public caves and you get a very good look at cave geology.

Manitou has a great, outdoor penny arcade (takes quarters) that is a nice break for the kids. There is a free, pioneer museum in downtown Colorado Springs that is small but has a nice collection if you want something free and historic. It is a good, inexpensive way to spend about an hour. The zoo is very good - not huge but good. It is a hike by itself. You can feed the giraffes, and they have a nice mountain lion enclosure that lets you walk under the lions. The grizzlies are usually swimming or wrestling for visitors. There is also a ski-lift type sky ride that takes you above the zoo and over the animals with a rock climbing wall at the top. cmzoo.org is their website.

The Cheyenne Mountain Zoo is stellar! It has some older cages and stuff so you can get quite close to some of the animals. We especially enjoyed the monkeys and primates.....if they wanted to throw poo, we'd have been easy targets. (newer zoos have the animals in such huge pens and have us the visitors stay 12 feet away.....) The Will Rogers Castle thing was well worth it also....... if you go to the zoo...you will see what I'm talking about. The zoo provides a nice workout, as well. Go in the morning and plan a big dinner at the Texas Roadhouse which was close by.

OTher than the Academy which was a favorite of all the kids... the Ghost Town Museum was on their list.....We've been 4 years in a row. Its cheesy and all but if you ask my kids what we need to do in CO Springs, the Ghost Town Museum is number 1 on the list.

Garden of the Gods is nice, pick an interesting hike. The adults liked this more than did the kids. Biking it would be better.

There is a house close to the Broadmoor, in that neighborhood that we accidentally happened upon. It has huge metal structures (arty) that move with the wind. We stumbled upon it and now every time we go back we try to find it....... Your aged kids would probably really appreciate them. The art is huge. You may get pressured into doing something like that in your yard.

The cliff dwellings just west of town were kind of a waste, however, it houses the largest gift shop I have ever seen in any kind of tourista trap. We were in the dwellings for 20 minutes and the gift shop for over an hour.

Thanks, everyone! I appreciate the advice. (Looking forward to the doughnuts at the top of Pike's Peak--I hear they're ginormous.) We're taking the train up--our big splurge--we didn't want the stress of driving up and down the mountain!

I'm glad to hear Garden of the Gods is not a waste of time--it looks like a great way to spend the afternoon.

Thanks all!

You must visit Garden of the Gods. It is beautiful there! That & Pikes Peak would be my musts, but you've already planned PP. Have fun! We'll be there in July... it's one of our favorite places!

I'm glad to hear Garden of the Gods is not a waste of time--it looks like a great way to spend the afternoon.

My girls love to hike around Garden of the Gods, and climb on the smaller rocks. I think your boys will love it!