Menu

7th & 8th English/Literature recommendations

Jenileigh

Here you go:

Lightning Literature can be found at http://www.hewitthomeschooling.com/book/blight.asp. We used LL7 for 7th grade.

Pros:

• Gentle intro into literature and literary analysis

• Pick up and go (minimal teacher preparation)

• Written to the student so it can be done independently

• Nice variety of books and genres (biography, poetry, novel, short story, etc)

• Uses whole books

• Books readily available at the library

• Not too much work – we were able to use a separate grammar and writing program and read other literature without stress

• Secular

Cons:

• None

I've been thinking I need to "do something" for literature analysis, but after re-reading that section of TWTM, and people's comments on what SWB talked about on the subject at the recent conference...and knowing how much my kids don't like busy work but do like discussing things with me......I am wondering if one is necessary at all.

I've been thinking I need to "do something" for literature analysis, but after re-reading that section of TWTM, and people's comments on what SWB talked about on the subject at the recent conference...and knowing how much my kids don't like busy work but do like discussing things with me......I am wondering if one is necessary at all.

I don't think you need one at all. I wasn't confident in my ability to discuss literature with a monosyllabic only ds. I've read Deconstructing Penguins, but I don't have a group or a clue how to 'lead' a student through a discussion. I've tried to read TWEM and felt intimidated. There are great discussion questions in there. I keep thinking about buying Teaching the Classics but I am not convinced that I will sit down and watch it. So, LL did a good job of hand-holding me through it. Yes, there is more work to do. I may get there and I may not.

I just bought 2 guides that were recommended here. One was Walch Toolbox Prose and Poetry. The other was Figuratively Speaking. Together they cost about $35. We are going to work through those to nail down literature and poetry techniques, style, terminology, etc. Then we will dive into literature discussions with books of either our chosing, or ones that are in our history program.

I was actually contemplating this a few weeks ago myself, and have decided to use CLE's Reading 7. It covers a lot of what I was wanting in a Literature program for 7th grade (Poetry, Rhyme Scheme, Compare & Contrast, Conflict & Crisis, Vocabulary work, Setting & Mood, Onomatopoeia, Alliteration, Metaphor, etc.)...plus the price was right. ;)

The only con is that it does not use whole books, but I am fine with that as my son will also be reading his Y2 TOG Lit. He'll get plenty of reading for pleasure (TOG), alongside reading for "school" (CLE).

The only LL I have used is a British Lit one. My son enjoyed it and did well with it. I will probably use that again for my youngest when he gets there, unless something else catches my eye. :D

We have also used Progeny guides...my boys disliked them with a passion.