Menu

Abeka or BJU for high school history and science?....need advice.

My 16 year old son is asking me for Abeka DVD program for this year. He wants something that has a schedule for him to know exactly what comes next. He wants a schedule. He doesn't like feeling like he doesn't know from day to day what he should be doing. He is even willing to pay 1/2 the cost for this curriculum. I was currently considering MFW or Winterpromise for him. I'm wondering if I could just buy Abeka or BJU's science and history w/o the DVD and have it still work for him. Would it be too teacher intensive to go that route? I have 4 other children at home as well.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Tracy

My 16 year old son is asking me for Abeka DVD program for this year. He wants something that has a schedule for him to know exactly what comes next. He wants a schedule. He doesn't like feeling like he doesn't know from day to day what he should be doing. He is even willing to pay 1/2 the cost for this curriculum. I was currently considering MFW or Winterpromise for him. I'm wondering if I could just buy Abeka or BJU's science and history w/o the DVD and have it still work for him. Would it be too teacher intensive to go that route? I have 4 other children at home as well.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Tracy

My oldest has done the BJU Life Science and Earth and Space Science independently (no DVDs) the past 2 years. They are both heavy courses but definitely doable. We will be using the DIVE into Science Physical Science CD-Rom with the BJU textbook next year.

You also want to ask on the high school board, but I'd lean toward getting him the dvd's, as he wants. That's a pretty strong thing, when a kid is willing to cough up a lot of his money at that age. It must mean a lot to him! But definitely show him the BJU dvd's as well. There are samples for each and every class at http://www.bjup.com I've heard the abeka classes get dull as toast, because you're watching a teacher teach a class. The BJU videos are a teacher speaking directly to you, the student, in sessions recorded just for this format, much more engaging. And now the BJU stuff comes in multiple ways, including a hard drive that you just plug in and go. No dvd's to lose!

You can see feedback on the bju harddrive, homesat, dvd's, etc., by searching the boards here. It can be a VERY good option.

If you only want science w/ DVD the Dive Sci program uses the BJU high school science text and they are cheaper than the actual BJU DVD's.

We haven't used either programs DVD's ---we've looked at both and will be using BJU's for high school primarily for science/math --but by the time you pay almost $400 per subject you might as well get the entire program.

Well, I have used both, Abeka and BJU, and I will recommend BJU hands down.

Personally, I think he will do much better with the DVDs than going it on his own with the curriculum. BJU's high school sciences are tough and very teacher intensive. What grade is he going into? I know he is 16, but that doesn't always line up grade-wise. I have used many of the BJU hs DVD classes and can give you a few heads-up or recommendations if interested.

Also, if he is wanting to use a complete BJU DVD grade level...which is actually cheaper than leasing two separate classes...You may want to look carefully at their English. Unless he is very solid in English Grammar, you may want to jump down a grade or two in that area. BJU's English can be very tough when jumping in it in hs...ask my older boys! ;) I can highly, highly recommend BJU's American Lit DVD class....we loved it! The teacher made the study so interesting that I found myself watching the classes with my son. It was good stuff.

I have not used the DIVE discs that you can purchase to go with BJU's sciences, but I have used them with Saxon math. If they are even close to the Saxon Discs, I would choose the BJU DVDs if at all possible. The BJU teacher's are excellent and make learning fun, they also show many of the labs in class which was very helpful.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask!

Blessings,

Well, since DVD programs and MFW can both be done independently, I'd look more into the curriculum's philosophy, literature, Bible, and other components of each curriculum as you make your decision. Based upon independence alone, any of the options you mentioned would work. (I think... I only have experience with one DVD course so far.) Even MFW's recommendations for math and science are materials in which the student can work independently. OR, use MFW for History, Bible and Lit/English, and then do math and science by DVD from Abeka or BJU. The best of both worlds. ;)

(I don't know anything about WP, btw, so I can't comment on that one.)

My oldest ds did the 10th grade BJU Curriculum. It was GREAT! He really had to buckle down and study, which was good for him! :) He recently told me that, as hard as the 10th grade English was, he is now SOOOO glad he took it, as it really helped strengthen his English skills. He is graduating from a Christian highschool this year, and is wanting to major in Spanish and Engish, and teach it somehow, or be an interpretor. The other classes were great too, he learned a lot, and much of it was done in a fun way with the different teachers. He likes variety, so he enjoyed that year!

That said, my ds that will be going into 10th grade next year would NOT do well with the 10th grade English! He's doing the BJU 8th grade English, since that is more at his level. That doesn't bother me, I'd rather he learn at his level!

I recommend the DVD's, it really helps the courses be more interesting, come alive and makes the info. easier to comprehend.

Thank you everyone!

I'm sure he would prefer the DVD's also.

Thank you for the heads-up on the English class. I wondered about that. I would probably need to back him up a grade level or two. How would that affect his high school credits I wonder?

Melissa,

can you tell me if they had to do hands-on science experiments or was it all just on the DVD? My son would actually prefer not to have to do experiments, I think, but would do them if they were a part of his program.

Does BJU give you a daily schedule/checklist type of thing that the student can look at what comes next, etc?

I'm sure I'll have more questions but that's all I can think of right now. :-)

thanks again,

tracy

PS I'll also take the advice to post this on the high school boards.

For the 10th grade curriculum, each class had a schedule /checklist. That was a lifesaver for me and my son! I could look and see what was supposed to be done next and make sure he was following the schedule and getting things done!

As to highschool credits--When I compare curriculums and schedules for public schools, christian school and homeschools, they vary widely! What one place considers a full credit, is not even a half credit at others. So, I figured that if the work is rigorous, and my child works hard and advances well, he deserves to get the credit for the advancement he/she made. I think SWB and JW say that you give credit for work done, even if it's not exactly the same work that others are doing.

Is that clear as mud? ;) Hopefully that makes sense! I know that R&S and BJU are not a walk in the park, and seem much more advanced than other programs I've seen, so the credit given is well-deserved for the work involved!

Thank you everyone!

I'm sure he would prefer the DVD's also.

Thank you for the heads-up on the English class. I wondered about that. I would probably need to back him up a grade level or two. How would that affect his high school credits I wonder?

Melissa,

can you tell me if they had to do hands-on science experiments or was it all just on the DVD? My son would actually prefer not to have to do experiments, I think, but would do them if they were a part of his program.

Does BJU give you a daily schedule/checklist type of thing that the student can look at what comes next, etc?

I'm sure I'll have more questions but that's all I can think of right now. :-)

thanks again,

tracy

PS I'll also take the advice to post this on the high school boards.

I don't think I would worry a bit about the hs credits for English. BJU's English is more English grammar than I ever saw in my life...let alone in high school. I would have absolutely no qualms about using the 9th grade class for 10th or 11th. In fact, when we started BJU's English for the first time my boys were in 9th and 11th. I put them both in the 9th grade class as my older son has LDs and always worked about 2-3 grades below grade level. They both had a very difficult time of it! Even my then 9th grader who did very well in every other program we used prior...the problem was that we had used some awfully simple, yet popular, homeschool Grammar programs which, honestly, I came to find out were not up to par. :blink: Unless you have been using something tried, true, and solid...beware! :D

As for the labs, my son did a lot of them because they were fun. I don't recall if they show every complete lab on the DVD, or just the ones too difficult to complete at home. I do know that they at least talk about every lab. My son is at school right now or I would ask him. I recall that the Physics labs were very, very difficult and he would get sooo frustrated because he couldn't get some of them to work. About mid-year I let him drop the labs as he was only required to have one lab science through our ISP and he'd already completed three (Phy. Sci, Chem, and Bio). When he gets home this evening I'll ask him about them and if they show them on on the DVD, or just partials, etc.

As for the schedules, it's just as Brindee said...yes! You get a daily schedule that tells you what is to be completed each day. Some of the Math and Science classes come with extra packets made by the teacher: fill-in notes, worksheets, special tests, quizzes, etc.

I've been using the DVD from BJU this year for Algebra, Spanish and English/Lit. My ds is in 9th this year but we did step down the English/Lit to the 8th grade - good move on my part as he has learned a lot, grown in his skills and overall had a great but very challenging course load. I had started the year with just ordering the Algebra and Spanish but after 2 months of another program looming for disaster I ordered the Lit/Grammar - unfortunately that meant that I spent more than it would have been to just have ordered the complete set of all courses for the year. My son has asked to do all DVD next year and we are going for it. All the classes have scheduleds printed out in calendar form with the assignments listed (although sometimes a teacher on the DVD will change that just like in real life) and they even have a sub (I think that was in Spanish? for the week) so it really is class-like. My son loves the courses. I did look up some more info on their science, bio since we've done physical this, and found that they also offer an additional DVD that includes all of the dissection labs on it (I think it actually has all the labs). I've had issues with the lab portion of coursework because my son doesn't want to do the bio dissection stuff as he is uncomfortable so I've been trying to figure out how to handle this part. I did look at my local area's high school course catalog and on all the lab courses there is a disclaimer that if a child is uncomfortable with dissection for religious or other reasons, other activities will be assigned. Well, this is what would happen with him (or so I think) so I'll find some activities - watch the lab and then do the write-ups. Sadly, in many schools around the country the teachers are doing the labs, not the kids due to cost. I spoke with a child who is in AP BIO and she has done 1 lab and watched all the rest on a video screen in the classroom or observed the teacher. I'm not going to stress - he's not a science major! I found my son could have taken a co-op course, too, but the cost was actually more than renting the DVDs and that didn't cover the cost of gas! Go figure. At any rate, I digress, all to say that we have really enjoyed the DVDs from BJU and he has learned more than I could have taught him and the best part, it has allowed me more time to work with my 3 youngers.

Just to update...

I spoke to my son last night about his DVD labs. He said that yes some of the harder to complete labs, due to expensive equipment, etc., the teacher did fully in class. He said that with the other labs the teacher would talk about them, go through a few of the steps showing you what to do, and then leave the rest up to you. Meaning, it was your job to conclude the lab and get the answers to fill out your lab sheets.

He only got to use BJU's Chemistry and Physics though. I think I mentioned that the Physics labs were difficult. He really, really enjoyed his Chemistry labs. Mr. Harmon made Chemistry very fun.

I have BJU's Physical Science and Biology recorded from the satellite for my youngest to use one day...I've watched several lessons of both and they look great! ;)

Mr Harmon taught physics this year - i'm wondering if i could manage to take it myself! LOL!!

Thanks for the english part in this thread - DD is struggling with 7th writing and grammar and i need to lighten up some i think. I'm pretty sure that i didn't cover this stuff (i have my 9th grade textbook - i should go check it huh?).