Menu

Keep fit and joyful

Guest Jeannie

Guest Jeannie

Please Help!! I desperately need to be fit!!! I have tried many diets and exercises, but to no avail. I manage to lose a few pounds initially whenever I start something new, but I am back to square one again! I am completely exasperated and feel depressed. I do not know what to do. I will go to any extent to get a fit body.

Slow and steady is the key. You have to make changes that you can live with because we all know we won't eat something if it tastes bad, in the long term, no matter how beneficial it might be; and we're not going to keep going to the gym if it bores us to death. "Get fit" is a very short phrase for a very complex issue. Write yourself a list of priorities, pick one and keep at it until it is such a habit you aren't doing it to be healthy, but because that's just what you do. Then you're ready to pick something else off your list. These things might be eating more fruit, learning to cook vegan a few days a week, adding a salad to your dinner each day, finding a sport you like, growing some herbs to make your own teas, or whatever your number one personal peeve is.

Good luck, it's a journey and not accomplished in a week, and each thing you do is a worthy contribution. Naturally you have to eat a vanilla slice every now and then to remind yourself how much healthier and more virtuous you feel when you don't eat them. Otherwise you'll start taking it for granted ;)

:)

Rosie

Muscle strengthening first. Don't diet, don't worry too much about aerobic activity. Build muscle slowly. Walk for pleasure, not progress.

The goal should be health, health, health. Eat real food. Eat non-processed foods- in other words, don't become the nutrisystem, lean cuisine dieter. That won't work.

Build muslce. Try this book as a starting point- http://www.amazon.com/Strong-Women-Stay-Miriam-Nelson/dp/0553379453/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1241510385&sr=8-2

I wish you the best.

Slow and steady.

Jo

We got a Wii Fit for Christmas. I *hate* regular exercise...never have enjoyed it but instead looked at it as a punishment. :tongue_smilie: There is a difference with the Wii. I get up early with dh and have coffee, and after he leaves for work, I turn on the Wii machine. The aerobics section has a free step choice that you can do for as long as you desire...while watching TV. My kind of exercise! I started with 10 minutes and could barely breathe. Worked up to 20 minutes, which are now a breeze. I added small hand weights, too. Just 20 minutes a day is all the time I have to spare during school mornings, but I do it 5 mornings a week. I can't believe how much this has helped! I feel more energetic, my clothes fit much better, and my dh has noticed, too. I am very thankful to have this exercise option that I enjoy for the first time in my adult life. Worth every penny.

Ginger

Guest zachary

Only need to exercising, jogging & Yoga as well. Remove calories food from your routine diet & eat vegs, fruits etc low fats food.

This doesn't work for everyone, but can you get up early and get a walk/jog in before your husband leaves for work? It's the only way I get a good work-out in. The early mornings are so peaceful. I feel great after walking, but I think I love being out early in the morning even more (and I'm talking 6:30, not too early!). You can add hand weights, too. I power walk, which was embarassing at first (we live in a neighborhood), but now I don't care--I doubt anyone is looking. :001_smile:

Hope you find what helps.

Hi Jeannie,

Welcome to the boards!

Being fit and healthy is a little like being a homeschooler. It's a lifestyle choice.

I've just gotten active over at Sparkpeople again, too. It does help to check in there each day to record what I've eaten or how many minutes I've worked out. Seeing my stuff in writing is convicting and motivating. ;)

Pick up a couple of fitness or nutrition books at the library. Reading about fitness and health helps me stay focused.

You can make positive changes! Small steps lead to big steps.

Guest janainaz

I started using a jump rope and strength training at home. I also have an exercise ball and have been using that. I picked weeds in my yard and was in pain for two weeks..... and 40 is around the corner. I decided I'm not going to feel like that.

I'm in AZ, I can't do anything outside in the summer. I don't have a pool and if I did, I'd be swimming because that is such great exercise. I really hate being part of a gym - it is not for me. I had an elliptical and sold it because I got bored with it and it collected dust. I finally decided that I have to find stuff I like to do (ok, stuff I can tolerate) and those things I need to be able to do at home.

Jumping rope is amazing exercise and you work up a sweat fast - it's great cardio. The first few days were pretty funny, tripping over my rope, getting it stuck in my pony tail, getting it hooked on the bar stool, smacking myself in the face with it - I'm not so coordinated, but I am doing better and actually think it's fun. I have a few exercise DVD's, but my favorite is Linna Messig's One-Minute Workout. You can select what part of the body you want to work on for the day and how much time you have - plus, she's pretty easy for those of us that are clutzy, uncoordinated and get confused easily with the moves - that would be me!

I've been switching off lower and upper body every other day and doing at least 5 days of cardio. I'm the classic yo-yo dieter, I have been all my life. I hardly eat and then when I do - it's carb-central. I'm a cereal and sugar addict. I have arrived at the conclusion that you just have to take it day by day, eat healthy - we all know how to do it (for me it's protein, veg's and fruit - easy on the carbs), get some exercise - find something you can do that you don't absolutely hate and just do something about it. Just get mad! :tongue_smilie:

All the regular advice:

Do find something you *like* to do that's physical. It doesn't have to be the very best activity, it's more important that you don't hate it. I'd lose more weight if I used the elliptical, but I don't enjoy it so I find reasons to put it off. I do enjoy aikido though, so I go whenever I can.

Don't try and go for a fad diet. Especially don't cut out *everything* you love -- this is often a good way to end up binging on something and then angry at yourself for your weakness.

Do track your intake. This is the serious part. If you attempt to do nothing else, track your intake. And don't think you know what a portion is or that you don't need it -- most of us have no idea. Measure it at first until you're reaccustomed to what a serving really is. Any tracker will do. I use www.mypyramidtracker.gov but others I know use sparkpeople or fitday. The important thing about tracking is that it makes you notice that it's not just breakfast, lunch, and dinner that's killing you, but often the bag of doritos in the car, the hot dog at the game, etc.

Do try to eliminate grazing. If you must graze, graze on raw vegetables or something that's chewy but nutritious.

Don't get upset and quit when you have an off-day. Say "Well, that sucked," and start over again the next day. Just because you fall off the wagon doesn't mean you need to stay on the ground.

I'm going to pass on the tip I got from here. SparkPeople.com It has helped me enormously with sticking with it which has always been my problem. They really emphasise a lifestyle not a diet or exercise regime. I am a total convert :D So thanks to everyone here who suggested it:D

:iagree:

They started a new challenge this week, "Sweatsuit to Swimsuit" that I joined after reading about it here. VERY do-able.

I guess since I just started I can't comment on it's long-term effectiveness, but SparkPeople has the most potential of anything I've read or tried.

Good luck to you!