Menu

Please Advise Me: ? about 8 y.o's speech delays

Hey Hive,

I was just in a conversation with my husband tonight when the subject of Speech Therapy came up. Just for the record, our 8 y.o daughter was in private speech therapy from the time she was 3, she had minor speech delays at that point, but nothing else. Well, we moved a little over a year ago and discontinued speech when she was 6 (she turned 7 right after we moved). We've corrected a lot of things though the years, but there are still lingering issues. For instance, I was tracking her speech today (spontaneous speech), and she asked the following questions:

"Why you do that?"

"What you do with that chicken?"

and lastly, "Why I have to take another bath?"

You can see that she is leaving out words. We correct her, and when you show her what she has said in writing, then she knows immediately how to correct it. The child has always been my "different" one, left-handed and artistic. Her motor control is exceptional, and she had beautiful cursive at the end of 1st grade, so I don't think there is anything going on.

I guess, other than modeling the correct speech patterns (which we do already), what else can I do to cure her of this problem? My fear is that she will be judged based on her speech impediments, and while that is probably not something that will happen (most people don't notice her issues), I still want it to be correct. Any advice? TIA!

BTW, this child is one who tends to stumble over her words or to not be able to "get it out" when she wants. I don't know if that has anything to do with her word omissions, just another tidbit.

Thanks,

Erin:)

Hey, are you sure you aren't talking about my 7-year-old DD? She is my lefy, artistic child,with better fine-motor skills than her older brothers. She contanstly calls my name and when I answer, simply says my name again.

Mine has been in speech since 3 also, and she has the same issues with sentence construction. However, her problem translates into her writing also. I mean she writes the same way as she speaks.

I'm not sure it is a speech issue as much as a language issue, because the other three of my other kids that needed speech therapy did not have this issue. However, I think a speech therapist addresses both issues. We recently moved and had to redo her speech plan, because it is done through the public school here. They tracked the language separately from the strictly articulation problems.

I don't know what to do at home other than model correct speech and correct her when I catch her saying something wrong. Next year, I plan to add Abeka's Oral Language to her day to help model correct speech.

How do you feel about giving her some cod liver oil? I know not everyone is into alternative things so just a thought... many times a child's word reversal or word dropping is just a misfire in the brain that can be remedied with some good EFA's.

HTH!

Quick question on Speech Therapy. My dd is 8 and is having stuttering/stammering issues. It didn't start until a year or so ago, as far as we can remember, but it's getting bad. She has never been in speech therapy and I am wondering how I'd pay for it. Does your insurance cover such a thing? I don't believe we'd qualify for any assistance from the school district.

As far as modeling, I assume you read aloud a lot and have her read a lot too? I would guess that adding in narration would be a good tool for modeling as well.

When you mentioned that she struggles to get the words out, it brought apraxia to mind.

Sentence order (syntax) is an issue as well, which is why her sentences lack order.

I would strongly suggest having her evaluated by a speech and language pathologist. If you have health insurance, I'd start with your pediatrician / family doctor and ask for a referral. Most hospitals employ speech therapists and you shouldn't have too long of a wait to see one. Your doctor might also know of any private therapists who would be available to see your child.

For the other poster, therapy for homeschoolers through the public schools depends on where you live.

I live in Virginia and therapy is available for homeschoolers. My youngest daughter has autism, and a severe language delay, and she receives speech and occupational therapy free of charge through the public school system. However, we have, in the past, paid for private therapy because private therapy is NOTHING like what you receive in the public schools! In other words, the school has to provide the service -- but it doesn't have to be perfect, or tailored specifically for your child. And the therapy would be provided for your child at the school system's schedule.

Two years ago, the local elementary school's speech therapist had 95 students on her case load. There was simply no time available for her to see my daughter, so we took my daughter to a speech therapist for private therapy. It was $55 per session, if you're interested in a ball park cost figure (and that was 2 years ago).

I hope this helps!

This is not a speech impediment but could be a language disorder. I'd definitely get it checked out - - her speech pattern is pretty far off the range for an 8 yr old, imo.

So much of what you say indicates a possible language disorder - - not being able to get the words out, stumbling over words, recognizing the errors in writing but not in everyday speech. If it's a true language disorder, you can correct her till the cows come home and she will continue to make the same errors.

Can you get an eval through your school district?

Quick question on Speech Therapy. My dd is 8 and is having stuttering/stammering issues. It didn't start until a year or so ago, as far as we can remember, but it's getting bad. She has never been in speech therapy and I am wondering how I'd pay for it. Does your insurance cover such a thing? I don't believe we'd qualify for any assistance from the school district.

As far as modeling, I assume you read aloud a lot and have her read a lot too? I would guess that adding in narration would be a good tool for modeling as well.

Totally depends on your insurance; some cover it, some don't.

Have you checked with the school district? We took speech via the school while hs'ing with no problems; it just differs by district.