Menu

Independent reading

Are we the only parents with a 6 yr. old ds who does not read independently? He reads fine out loud when told but does not care to read a book by himself. Any thoughts to get him to do so?

Blessings

Lisa

wife of 23 years mother to dd 18 and ds 6 :auto:

My son didn't really start liking to read independently until about 3rd grade. I finally let him read the Harry Potter books and something in him snapped. I can't make him stop now. The same thing happened with my daughter. She is in 3rd grade now, and just really started enjoying reading around Christmas. I wouldn't push it too much. If you force it, like my mom did, they may not get to the point where they enjoy it. I hate to read. I only read what I absolutely have to, or to get information.

Well, my 9yods is not a big fan of reading for his own enjoyment. There are certain book series he likes, such as You Wouldn't Want to Be... books, but it's not high on his list of fun things to do. When we go to the library, I still have to help him find anything to select, or he will just get Pokemon books or the same You Wouldn't Want books. I'm currently struggling with the question of whether to require specific time to then read the books that I already had to "help" him pick out. Makes the term "Free Reading" a bit oxymoronic.

Some people are just not thrilled with books, although I cannot imagine it! :drool:

He's still pretty young for truly independent reading. You might need to cater to his interests a little to entice him. What does he love? There are tons of early chapter books on a huge variety of subjects. Becca loves horses, princesses, and fairies, so I confess to getting her some easy chapter books to encourage free and independent reading. She's loving Pony-Crazed Princess and Butterfly Meadow books. Charlotte Mason, don't come after me! :001_huh:

My main, big picture goal is to get her to love reading. So maybe a peek of lighter or easier fare would convince your son to curl up with a book.

(Yes, we do keep our house stocked with excellent quality literature and it constitutes about 90% of our reading! ;))

My guys can stay up late as long as they are reading. Ds6 is still allowed to read picture books if he wants (although right now he's reading the National Audobon Society First Field Guide for Rocks and Minerals :001_huh:), but ds8 & ds9 can read 1 picture book and then it has to be a chapter book.