Menu

SOTW 1 over 2 years?

has anyone done this? I'm thinking of using SOTW 1/AG for my first grader next year, but i'm not sure if I want to try and do the whole thing or just half of the book. Our approach has evolved into a more CM approach so i'm thinking I would like to do just two rotations of history. Thanks

We're doing SOTW 1 and it will definitely take us more than one year, though maybe not as much as two. I wanted to do a lot of activities and extra readings and just have fun with it, so it's taking us longer to get through. I don't have a problem with that at all, especially since we started with it young. Becca loves history!

I combine AO and SOTW readings, but we read nearly all through the summer, too. Otherwise, yes, it would take me at least a year and a half to get through one SOTW book and supplemental readings. :001_smile:

If the interest is there, I don't see anything wrong with your plan.

I planned to use it over 2 years. My girls are only 4 and 5 years old, and we started in late August. However, we just finished chapter 3, which is fine by me. I think my youngest will get more out of it as she matures a bit more. We might or might not get it done by August of 2010, but again, that's fine by us. We have plenty of time. :)

We are working on our second year on SOTW Vol. 1 (we didn't plan it this way, I was just really bad with getting to history last year in our first year of h/schooling). Now, though, that we are really starting to enjoy history, I have decided that I personally wouldn't want to go through a whole book in one year. I am also leaning towards the CM way of stretching history out and reading a really good book (or two) to bring it alive (not several books read as quickly as possible to get through to the next portion of history to be studied).

Just enjoy it! :001_smile:

We are working on our second year on SOTW Vol. 1 (we didn't plan it this way, I was just really bad with getting to history last year in our first year of h/schooling). Now, though, that we are really starting to enjoy history, I have decided that I personally wouldn't want to go through a whole book in one year. I am also leaning towards the CM way of stretching history out and reading a really good book (or two) to bring it alive (not several books read as quickly as possible to get through to the next portion of history to be studied).

Just enjoy it! :001_smile:

Thank you!!

One caution about going too slowly/too deep at this age--remember that it's just a taste of history, just a "get your feet wet, isn't history fun and wonderful!" kinda deal.

I have a df who added a ton to MOH because she didn't want gaps. She bogged down in so much detail that it was inappropriate for grammar stage, and entered logic stage rather burnt out.

So, of course, you can slow down and enjoy, and maybe not even get to everything, but I'd say be careful of going too deep and missing the forest for the trees. (Or the Vikings for the Egyptians...or something like that! :D)