Menu

Ebay Question

Can Ebay sellers go in and change the shipping amount after the auction has ended? I bid on 2 handwriting books from the same person (100% rating). I asked them if they would give a discount on shipping if I won both. They said they would. I did win them.

The original amounts it showed was $3.00 each for shipping. She is now saying that she miscalculated it, raised one of them to $5 and it's showing me $3 for the other, so that's $2 more than it originally showed, when she promised me a discount. I sent her a message, nicely acting like I was trying to understand why I would now be paying more than I originally thought. I asked if she could send me one invoice for both. Is that something she should be able to do. I would never raise the shipping after the fact. I would just count it as my loss if I figured it wrong.

When you post something to sell on ebay it asks the seller to pick a delivery cost and it does say pick a minimum. I think they should put that it their posts though. The first time I sold something I put the wrong price and simply ate the cost. Try talking to them about it. And double check the rules.

It is my understanding that whatever the shipping price is listed at is the price that you pay. If she messed up that is really not your problem. I have been on both sides of this problem, and I simply ate the cost when I messed up.

Ebay has live chat, and you might try talking with them about it. If you chatted with the seller about the lower price via ebay messages the seller may even have to honor that, but I don't know.

No they can't raise the shipping. I am not sure where you can report it, but check out the communitry discussions boards and ask a question. There is one specifically for shipping questions.

I am not that savy, but I think she can put both items on one invoice. She can't raise the shipping claiming it is her error. I would remind her of the email stating she would give discount. If she pursues, you have two choices, pay it..or not. If you choose not to pay it, she could file and Unpaid Item strike against you, which you would have the option of fighting and then you would present the emails stating the promised discount and her error..and you should win the case.

Edited by KatieinMich

No they can't raise the shipping. I am not sure where you can report it, but check out the communitry discussions boards and ask a question. There is one specifically for shipping questions.

I am not that savy, but I think she can put both items on one invoice. She can't raise the shipping claiming it is her error. I would remind her of the email stating she would give discount. If she pursues, you have two choices, pay it..or not. If you choose not to pay it, she could file and Unpaid Item strike against you, which you would have the option of fighting and then you would present the emails stating the promised discount and her error..and you should win the case.

The mention of a negative review will many times bring them around.

The original amounts it showed was $3.00 each for shipping. She is now saying that she miscalculated it, raised one of them to $5 and it's showing me $3 for the other, so that's $2 more than it originally showed, when she promised me a discount.

She is not allowed to do that. She was probably hoping the books would sell for a higher price, and when they didn't, she tried to find a way to make more money for herself by padding the shipping charges. This is against eBay rules.

Honestly, it would never cost $5.00 to mail a handwriting book via media mail, and 8.00 for two books? No way -- not even if she sent them Priority Mail! She's pulling a fast one.

Cat

It's all cleared up. She was trying to give me the discount by putting the total shipping on one invoice, but hadn't removed the shipping on the other. She did fix it for me. Thanks for the responses. I knew she had 100%, but from what she said the selling part is new for her.

The mention of a negative review will many times bring them around.

Most folks on the boards over there say to avoid the negative feedback comments ahead of time. If Ebay eventually gets in volved, they are not thrilled with anyone who does that.

I am thrilled the OP got it all worked out.