Menu

s/o from e-gadgets in recitals - twitter in church!

Twittering in Church, with the Pastor's Encouragement

I just tripped over this - and I don't really know what I think.. interesting, the use of current technology to reach out... but.... hmmm.

Figured I'd toss it here and see what people thought... both of the churches we've attended here have big signs about turning OFF your phone.. heh, one of them was funny - it said something like:

God: I'll b talking 2 u 2day but I won't be txting u or calling u on ur cell. Plz turn it off!

I laughed so hard the first time I saw that :lol: - our churches back home never had any signs, but cell phones are waaaaaay more prevalent here than they were there. Everybody and their dog has 'em here..

anyway. Twittering churches?

A church that did that wouldn't be interesting to me personally. But that is because in-depth verse by verse expository teaching is important to me. I like to concentrate deeply, writing notes and following the train of thought of the message. I couldn't do that while "twittering"! And I'm thinking that a pastor who twitters probably has a different style of preaching than what I like.

As far as sharing my thoughts about what God might be teaching me, that is fairly personal to me. That's why I share stuff like that on the World Wide Web!:D

If it's being done so that church is cool and hip and inviting to the culture - then I think its wrong - Worship is for God , not for the congregants. Our worship needs to be pleasing to God, not to man.

Now - if it's being used to take sermon notes - I don't see anything wrong with that, as long as it's not distracting to those around the twitterer.

I would hope that tweets of Christian twitterers are reflecting their faith in Christ 7 days a week and not just in the Sunday morning worship hour.

This caught my attention:

And there's another benefit too: no more misplaced musings jotted down on that day's program. "With Twitter," he points out, "your notes are there forever.")

I nearly always jot my notes on the back of our hot sheets (that's what our programs are called). And then I stuff them into the bottom of my purse. Then I lose them. So I can see the benefit of your musings being saved.

I don't know if I would ever twitter in church. I don't twitter any other time. I'm just not twittery.

If it's being done so that church is cool and hip and inviting to the culture - then I think its wrong - Worship is for God , not for the congregants. Our worship needs to be pleasing to God, not to man.

Oh, I don't know. I can't see how being hip and current and trying to draw in people who might not otherwise come to church is wrong. I don't think it is an either/or (as in hip OR pleasing to God). I think you can have both. God looks at the heart, not the hymnbook.