Menu

Apples and Pears Spelling - can you tell me more? I have a few questions please

I am looking at Apples and Pears Spelling and have a few questions. Maybe you can answer them for me?

First of all, what level of spelling is a student at when they finish Level D? Will they need any further spelling lessons?

What is a morpheme? I noticed this is used in the lessons and I am not familiar with the term. I am familiar with a syllable, but not a morpheme.

Do you find that this program covers most, if not all the words a student needs to learn?

Do you get through a lesson/step a day? I am thinking of using with a 14 year old.

Do you find many words you have to change due to it being from England?

I would appreciate any help you can give me.

Thanks!

I started with book A, currently halfway through book C. My DS is close to 13. Once we do book D, I'm done with spelling. I'd say book D goes through what typically is taught in spelling, through grade 6, right?

I had never heard the word morpheme either, I assume it is the same as syllable. They use it for prefixes and suffixes, learning spelling rules for adding these to base words.

I split each level over two days, my DS has dysgraphia, and it would be too much writing otherwise. But if your DC can handle it, you could do a lesson a day. It would be a fairly long lesson, though. It takes us around 10 minutes to do a half lesson each day, maybe a couple minutes longer.

I haven't encountered any words so far with a British spelling, although I had worried about that same thing. There are some sentences that wouldn't be found in an American spelling book though, such as I am a drinker, not a thinker said the sad clown. Cracks us up! Oh, and there was a lesson that used the word "rubber" instead of eraser, and "sweet" instead of candy. It hasn't been a problem.

I think I got all your questions. Apples and Pears has been a great spelling program for DS, who could not spell at all prior to its use. In fact, it is the ONLY curriculum of any type I have stuck with through multiple levels.

Michelle T

Thanks Michelle for explaining this. By the way, I am in Southern Cal too!

I am still wondering just what a morpheme is?

I am thinking of using this with my 14ds who really struggles with spelling. I think I would prefer this over using Sequential Spelling with him. If we can do this and finish it in a year I would be happy. If we do Sequential Spelling and try to finish all the books, we would be doing spelling until he is in 12th grade!

If anyone else can give me their opinions on this I would appreciate it.

I wish they had a scope and sequence.

Thanks,

Tami

We use Apples and Pears spelling as well. I LOVE it. I like how there are no word lists and everything is application. This really helps it carry over to other school work.

Very easy to use. We do break the lessons down over 2 days as well.

Thanks for the definition. I did the placement test and went ahead and ordered Levels B & C. It looks like just what I need for my son. I like that it has no manipulatives. We tried AAS, but since my son is 14 it seemed too babyish for him and he didn't like using the tiles.

Tami

Thanks for the definition. I did the placement test and went ahead and ordered Levels B & C. It looks like just what I need for my son. I like that it has no manipulatives. We tried AAS, but since my son is 14 it seemed too babyish for him and he didn't like using the tiles.

Tami

This is one of the main reasons I ordered. Also, no spelling lists! I really dislike spelling (probably something from my childhood) and this was the only sample I could deal with. Now that the books are here and we are using them my feelings are confirmed. Big thumbs up here!