Menu

Is this song appropriate for a ladies tea?

I've been asked to sing at our church's spring tea for the ladies. The theme is "Sowing Seeds of Kindness"...and, I originally thought of singing "How Beautiful" by Twila Paris. I don't know why I thought of that song...because I am not one to sing "contemporary" music. Smiles!

Anyhoo...my hubby heard me practicing this afternoon and said, "Isn't that an 80's wedding song?"

UGH!! Is it? Is this a bad choice? I have other songs I can sing...but, nothing I can think of really "goes with" the theme of the tea.

Thanks for any opinions.

~Holly

I've been asked to sing at our church's spring tea for the ladies. The theme is "Sowing Seeds of Kindness"...and, I originally thought of singing "How Beautiful" by Twila Paris. I don't know why I thought of that song...because I am not one to sing "contemporary" music. Smiles!

Anyhoo...my hubby heard me practicing this afternoon and said, "Isn't that an 80's wedding song?"

UGH!! Is it? Is this a bad choice? I have other songs I can sing...but, nothing I can think of really "goes with" the theme of the tea.

Thanks for any opinions.

~Holly

I love that song. I've sung it for our Ladies' Tea. I've sung it for a couple of weddings. I've also sung it for communion. It fits perfectly for many different occasions.

I think that people choose it for weddings because it has the word "bride" in it. But I don't think they really listen carefully to the rest of the song. The "bride" in the song refers to the body of Christ (the church) waiting for her groom (Christ); it's not talking about a literal bride and groom. So, weddings are actually the least relevant occasion to sing that song. It's still beautiful, though.

When I sang it for our Ladies Tea a few years ago, I introduced it by thanking the women who had put so much of themselves into serving us, and I reminded the ladies how Jesus had come with a servants heart, and how he told us to be servants to one another. You could easily bring the theme of kindness into the servant heart theme of the song.

It'll be perfect.