Menu

Phonics freaks--how many syllables in "William"?

So I wouldn't force "Will-ee-am" down the throat of anyone who wanted to be Will-yum.

Oh, no, my original question was really within the context of what is phonetically correct, not how the people speak the name out loud. It snowballed out of that with many posting opinions. That's obviously fine, but I enjoyed reading the reasons behind why people thought the name is two or three syllables. I'm surprised by the number of responses in the thread, but names are so interesting!

I didn't want you to think that I was trying to force someone to pronounce their own name differently. :D

Three.

Wow, what a question! I asked my family, and now the kids are all running around, laughing and shouting, "Will-EEEE-Um, Will-EEEE-Um." My husband is shaking his head. His favorite answer if from SpyCar. This question is fun. Thanks for the laugh this morning. We needed it. :lol:

Well I'm William, my dad is William, and my son is William.

I say 3.

The name is Wil-lee-um not Will-yum, although I'd entertain the argument that the ee-um sound is a diphthong technically making it two syllables. I think?

But I've heard plenty of dissenting opinions, including those of my wife the English major. But I put my fingers in my ears :D

Bill (really William :tongue_smilie:)

This reminds me of a family for which I used to babysit... WAY back then, in the teen days. The little boy's name was Ian. His father's name was Ian. His father's father's name was Ian. His mother's father's name was Ian. His mother's brother's name was Ian.

His father, both grandfathers, and an uncle were all Ians, and it was a bit confusing, because none of them had nicknames... just "Ian." Drove me crazy. Thanks for the laugh, Bill (really Will-i-am). You made my day.

How do y'all pronounce onion?

or the famous OIL? :D

the sounds of i= i, I, y, E [yeah,i know, SWR insists it doesn't say E!]

tin

tine

onion/ William

machine

the sounds of y= y, E, I, i

you

happy

psychologist

myst

I tell the guys to hum the word.

if it hums three times, you got 3 syllables.

it tends to be a bit easier to notice the stops between syllables w/ humming.

where does the air "stop" when you try to hum it?

since i am pronouncing the 'i' as a /y/, it is easy enough for me to hum will-yem. If one pronounces the 'i' as an /E/ then it is easy enough to hum will-EE-em.

remember that syllbication rules don't necessarily go by what letter we're looking at, but the sound being produced.

I do think that "officially" i would count William as two syllables, but encourage 3 syllables for aesthetic means at times [poetry/ personal preference].

*and yeah- personal names get to break any pronunciation rules ;)

I vote for 2.5 syllables.

I have a William, whom I named after another William. Most of the time we say Will-yum, maybe more like Will-yem, but sometimes, mostly when I am yelling for him, it's Will-lee-um.

Then again, I often call him Bubba. I was born and raised in the southwest, so I have no idea where that came from. I'm the only one who does it (and the only one he allows).

Bless you for getting it!

Signed,

LAUra who is all too often called Lora

Laura is one of my all-time favorite names, but I hesitate to use it because some people in my family (who live in the same house; not extended relatives) won't say LAUra and not Lora.

I'm thinking about using Lorelei now because the /or/ sound doesn't bother me there. The /or/ sound doesn't bother me in the name Lora; I just happen to like Laura better.

This has been a fun thread.

This reminds me of a family for which I used to babysit... WAY back then, in the teen days. The little boy's name was Ian. His father's name was Ian. His father's father's name was Ian. His mother's father's name was Ian. His mother's brother's name was Ian.

His father, both grandfathers, and an uncle were all Ians, and it was a bit confusing, because none of them had nicknames... just "Ian." Drove me crazy. Thanks for the laugh, Bill (really Will-i-am). You made my day.

Shall I make matters worse?

My Mother? Carol

The wife? Carole

Grandfather? Carroll

Are you seeing a pattern?

Uncle? Carroll

Cousin? You guessed it! Carroll

Not much imagination in my family :D

William

Shall I make matters worse?

My Mother? Carol

The wife? Carole

Grandfather? Carroll

Are you seeing a pattern?

Uncle? Carroll

Cousin? You guessed it! Carroll

Not much imagination in my family :D

William

:lol:

I vote three syllables as well. My dh's name is William, fondly known as Billy.

I think we can infer from the name Liam (2 syllables) that William is 3 syllables.

I have a Will-i-am.......he was at Kindy the other day and they were being taught to clap out the number of syallables in their name before washing their hands. William clapped out 2.....I was confused, so I asked the teacher, why is he clapping two? (I had taught him 3 at home). I then received a long lecture on phonics etc, to which I politely pointed out then using (their) phonics rules that would be 3 syallables...:tongue_smilie:

I then became that "homeschooling Mum".:D

Interesting enough, when we lived in France, the French dont tend to pronouce the double l and nor could William pronounce it (3yr old). He called himself Wimwam.

I think alot of it depends upon the accent....in French they tend to accentuate the second/third syallable eg Wil -LI-am. Here in Australia we tend to say WILL-i-am or just Will.

Fi

William clapped out 2.....I was confused, so I asked the teacher, why is he clapping two? (I had taught him 3 at home). I then received a long lecture on phonics etc, to which I politely pointed out then using (their) phonics rules that would be 3 syallables...:tongue_smilie:

I posted this audio of my son earlier in the thread saying his name and when he casually says it, it comes out Will ee um but when he claps it, he says Will Yum. :confused: I have no idea why he is clapping two or why he says it differently when he breaks it down because he has not been taught that by someone else. Weird.

After I recorded him saying William, I taught him to clap out 3 syllables. :D

My dh just gently but emphatically explained, and without hesitation when I asked, that William is indeed 3 syllables. I am going to defer to his decision, given that he has taken many more linguistics and grammar classes than I.

Specifically, he said that it has 3 syllables regardless of how it may be commonly pronounced.

My new vote: 3 syllables.

Laura is one of my all-time favorite names, but I hesitate to use it because some people in my family (who live in the same house; not extended relatives) won't say LAUra and not Lora.

I'm thinking about using Lorelei now because the /or/ sound doesn't bother me there. The /or/ sound doesn't bother me in the name Lora; I just happen to like Laura better.

This has been a fun thread.

When my husband and I got married I finally had to break down and correct him. Interestingly enough, he doesn't often call me by my first name. Lorelei is a pretty name, too.

I never voted on William being 2 or 3 syllables. My official vote is 3, but being a Southern gal I know it sometimes sounds like 2. :D