Menu

Please don't laugh, but...

what about produce from Mexico? I just pulled out some squash for dinner & noticed that it said it was from Mx, didn't think anything of it, but then as I was rinsing, I thought about the person who picked it & what they might be doing right now &...well...I'm wondering now. Feeling kind-of connected & all.

If you were comfortable with produce from Mexico *before* this, I would think you're okay to eat it now.

3-4 years ago we made a decision not to purchase produce/food from Mexico, so it wouldn't have been in our fridge to begin with. :)

Hmmm...I've never paid attention to where stuff was grown. I just *happened* to notice this squash's label. It's some unusual variety, & we were going to try something new, kwim?

What motivated your decision to avoid Mx produce?

It is a respiratory virus, but it doesn't really care how it gets in your oropharynx- droplets through sneezing and coughing work, but so does touching (or eating, of course) a contaminated object then touching your nose/mouth. Flu viruses can survive up to 48 hours on inanimate objects.

But the squash probably left Mexico a lot longer than 48 hours ago. Just wash it real well and wash your hands. Washing and cooking would both get rid of any virus that happened to be lurking.

What spurred me to not purchase produce from Mexico?

In a nutshell, it was the multiple news stories and first-hand accounts (my dh works in the food industry, so he interacts with people from ALL OVER) about produce imports from Mexico.

Standards of hygiene, cleanliness, and products used on/around produce there is widely varied and unreliable. Multiple news stories reporting the sheer volume of produce that is turned away from the border made me nervous about what might have been missed as it was let through.

For the record, since the numerous incidents involving tainted food and lead in products from China we also don't buy food/produce from there either.

I realize that the majority of items imported from those countries might be fine. However, we've decided to spend out money elsewhere. We buy food produce from the USA, and I buy locally if I can find it.

Other people here will have other opinions. YMMV. but this is what we've decided for our family. :)

What spurred me to not purchase produce from Mexico?

In a nutshell, it was the multiple news stories and first-hand accounts (my dh works in the food industry, so he interacts with people from ALL OVER) about produce imports from Mexico.

Standards of hygiene, cleanliness, and products used on/around produce there is widely varied and unreliable. Multiple news stories reporting the sheer volume of produce that is turned away from the border made me nervous about what might have been missed as it was let through.

For the record, since the numerous incidents involving tainted food and lead in products from China we also don't buy food/produce from there either.

I realize that the majority of items imported from those countries might be fine. However, we've decided to spend out money elsewhere. We buy food produce from the USA, and I buy locally if I can find it.

Other people here will have other opinions. YMMV. but this is what we've decided for our family. :)

:) Same here.

Aubrey- I think you are find just make sure the produce was washed.

Edited by caitlinsmom

Aubrey- back to your original thought.

I live in So Cal. Tonight we went out to dinner. I thought about how many people working in the restaurant are from Mexico; how many of those have just visited with someone who is sick, etc.?

You're right. We are all connected. We can do things about some things... and others, we ask for God's protection (some cross their fingers, others pray or knock on wood...) and we continue to live our lives.

We live in a global society. Travel and trade mean you can play "6 degrees of separation" from any perceived health or other scare. I guess... we just live with it.