Menu

Help me plan a Jane Austen girls night out party

I am considering having a Jane Austen themed girls night out party at my house. Please give me your best ideas for this type of a party. Should we watch a movie, if so which one. What foods and beverages would you provide? Would you request that the guest bring a food and or beverage?

What do you think would be the ideal number of guests? I have a fairly large house that can accomodate a fairly large party, although I think I would want to keep this on the small side. Or do you think the idea is just dumb and I should forget it? Thanks any and all help would be appreciated.

If your girl friends are of a mind to want to wallow in their femininity and good manners! Of course, if you provided a Mr. Knightly or a Mr. Darcy to hang around...then you'll need all that space you have, because the whole neighborhood of women will want to be there!

Ideas --

Everyone wears a period hat or an empire waist dress

Serve mulled cider and wine (what did they drink?)

Watch Emma or Sense & Sensibility

Play Mozart

Go out somewhere all dressed up (do you dare?) and acting the parts.

Found this for you as well. Have fun!

Doran

I think this is a wonderful idea, and I'm extremely vexed that I don't live close to you!

I would serve tea and those little short bread cookies with the crystallized sugar on top. I would invite 12-15 ladies and encourage them to wear a long dress with gloves and a hat. I would also teach them one of the period dances that you see in P&P. I know it's all ladies, but I think it would still be fun, and of course, I would have to learn the dance myself first (don't know if that's even possible, but it sounds like fun).

I think I would pass on the movie because it will kill any conversation; although you might have one playing without the sound to discuss what the actors are wearing or how they are acting, etc. In that case I would pick a popular movie that most would have seen or at least be familar with like P&P.

These are just some quick thoughts this morning as I read your post and got myself all dreamy about my own Jane Austen party.

Oh, one last thought. You will definitely need someone sitting in a corner playing a pianoforte...

My girls wrote invitations in calligraphy.

All the girls were requested to recite a favorite piece of poetry or come prepared to play a musical instrument.

We also talked about how girls would 'take a turn around the room' and the girls paired up and did that.

They really had fun with this!

I was surprised how much they enjoyed linking arms and giggling as they walked around the room.

As for dress, if they had Empire style dresses , they wore it, otherwise they were asked to just wear a nice dress.

My girls don't actually like tea, so I served punch in a punch bowl with pretty teacups, and served triangle sandwiches, cookies, and fruit.

The party was a big hit-we'll probably do another one in spring and play croquet.

Perhaps each person could read a favorite part from a book? I would do for entertainment what they did. Learn whist, play cards, sing for each other...even if you are uncomfortable and it feels silly...does someone play an instrument they could bring...? I always wanted to try my hair ala Emma...I"m thinking gloves, posies, small embroidered trinkets for favors...empire dress/top items shouldn't be too hard to come by as all are in style...could everyone bring embroidery...Or each person to a few stitches on a piece for you to have as a keepsake of the night?

Sounds really fun!

P.S. A bit behind on the thread...just read the Mr. Darcy comment...do you have some dashing man in your life who could come in for awhile and entertain?? Wouldn't that be a hoot!