Menu

library bookclub and teenagers???

Our local library has a new position. A friend of mine is the new librarian for teenagers. Does anyone have ideas that would encourage teenagers to read? Shanon has already contacted several kids on their My Space page to see if the library can be a friend. This is a great idea.

Does anyone have anyother ideas for encouraging reading with teenagers?

Thanks-a-bunch,

Helen in OH

I went to a tech school and wonder if teen story time wouldn't have been a good idea for those kids who couldn't/didn't read our English texts. Sitting there dreading the teacher calling on them to read couldn't have been too encouraging... I don't know. I guess teenagers either read or don't?

Rosie

Here are some examples:

• The library website also features a podcast for teens to recommend great books to fellow teens, as well as "Top Ten" lists for favorite books and authors recommended by the YA (Young Adult = Teen) librarian, and links to info about various authors, books, etc.

• They have an Author of the Month YA Book Club. This month's author is Lois Duncan; next month's is Gary Paulsen. To participate, teens read a book by the selected author and post a brief review on the library's YA blog.

• In February, the library sponsored a teen writing contest. A local girl won with a poem she wrote.

• Each month, the library offers several activities for teens; scheduled activities for next month (May) include several kinds of craft activities, an author talk, a few movie nights, and board game night.

Meet with the kids and see what they are interested in. Get things like magazine subscriptions to what they like to read (you have to ask -- not everyone likes the same stuff) so they feel welcome. Make sure they know who she is. Often YA librarians meet with the schools and can work together, and she can likely go make a pitch to kids in their classrooms (English or Life Skills-type classes are common choices). Meet and greet the kids who come to the library, and encourage them to come back and bring their friends. Be their advocate when grumpy old patrons complain when they see anyone under the age of 60 in the library. Freshen up the collection and get outdated stuff off the shelves! Have fun activities -- ask them what they're into (sports, fashion, origami, CPR certification for babysitters, whatever) and find someone who can do it.

Most of all - make the kids feel comfortable in the library. If they are comfortable there, start to get an idea where things are and what is available, then they will come to the librarian for help or be able to find what they need on their own.

Make sure she gets the reading list for summer reading from the local schools and make a display of those books. Maybe feature some of them as book club books (as suggested above).

If they have a website for teens put up links for sites that would be of interest in regards to those books (I'm thinking sparknotes and folger library etc)