Menu

Help! I think my Borders email had a virus in it this morning!

I hit send/receive and one email came in--my weekly Borders bookstore coupon. It always comes in black and white, and I have to click at the top to change it into the colored advertisement. When I clicked on it, my computer shut down and restarted.

The coupon, when I clicked on it, was now sent from "unknown sender" and had two attachments (NO Borders coupon has attachments and there was no paper clip on the side of the coupon in my in box). I immediately deleted it and am running a McAfee scan.

And now I cannot open up Mozilla. I'm typing this on another computer.

Ugh. Ugh.

What else should I do?

Jean

I ran the McAfee scan and nothing was found. I call Borders, and their automated answering machine said they had a heavy number of calls waiting and did not suggest waiting for an operator (my translation of their words, LOL!). I'm guessing they have their hands full this morning.

When I restarted my computer, my Mozilla started working again. So all seems to be O.K.

Don't know if it was a mess-up by their computer programmers or if they were hacked.

Jean

Dear Jean,

Thank you for contacting Borders.com about the e-mail you received, which resembled a Borders message.

Please be assured that this e-mail did not originate from Borders, nor does it appear that your e-mail address was obtained from any records that we maintain. If you have provided us with an e-mail address, you can be assured that Borders has not shared your address with any other organizations for the purpose of solicitation. We take our customers privacy seriously and protect that privacy with strong policies and practices in place.

We are investigating this incident fully, however, at this time it appears that both you and Borders may be the victims of a "spammer" who has replicated our Borders e-mail for commercial gain. At this time, the e-mail does not appear to have been circulated widely, yet any unauthorized use of our brand and Borders marketing materials is unacceptable. We are working now to identify the source and to respond with appropriate legal measures.

While Borders had no role in this incident; we do understand that it has caused you frustration and concern. We apologize for this and want to assure you that we are doing all we can to get to the bottom of the issue and remedy it. In the meantime, we do appreciate you bringing this to our attention and want to offer you a coupon to use in our stores. The coupon link is below. Please note the expiration date. Just print it and bring it to your local Borders or Waldenbooks store.

(deleted)

Below I have posted the link for our newsletter Shortlist.

(deleted)

Please feel free to contact us if you have any further comments or questions.

Sincerely,

Tina

Borders.com Customer Care

http://www.Borders.com

Edited by Jean in Wisc