Menu

HOD USERS (Bigger Hearts for His Glory)

kids&me

I had so much fun with my ds studying ancients 1st grade , and middle ages 2nd grade using Story of the World!

However, my 8yo son did not! For 3rd grade I have been looking at HOD,

Bigger Hearts for His Glory. My son really wants to study

America, Danial Boone, the Red Coats ....etc. I have notice that HOD

only studies America for one year and then a world overview.

What do you think about Bigger Hearts? Is it rich enough ? Is it enough for my ds to have only one year of American History? I really like that HOD seems to incorporate the Lord in the lessons. I see how HOD would have been great for us this year with Little Hearts ! I was trying to follow this "Classical" thing-!? He is going to be 9yo in December so it seems like he is to old for Little hearts.

I Would love any thoughts or suggestions.

Hope I was clear enough!

Angie

:iagree: Or, if you really want to put him in Bigger because of better placement, then you could just get the history books that Beyond uses and read those as extras.

Or, you could get the Abeka history book(s) that cover what you want and just have him read them. This year for my dd's 1st grade, I got the Abeka 1st grade history reader and we just read it. I got an older edition really cheap off of ebay. I didn't get a TM or anything. I just wanted her to have some familiarity, and I needed to keep things simple since we had a new baby last Sept. I do know that Abeka 3rd grade has a lot of biographies of people throughout American history, so it might be more of the same (as HOD's Bigger). But, you could see what 2nd and 4th cover.

Or, you could not worry about it. He'll get to it again eventually! :)

Alison,

Beyond looks good! I thought it was for younger children. How is your

10yo doing with it?

Angie

You could do Beyond first, it is American history from 1565 (ish) to 1800. We're using it with a 10 yr old, almost 8, and almost 6 yr old. I'm really enjoying it. Then you could go to Bigger the next year.

Alison

I would definitely do Bigger Hearts! Your son will love it. It is a wonderful overview. My two boys are THOROUGLY enjoying it. I would (jmho) put him in Bigger and not worry about it being only one year, etc. It is very rich, living, and skill focused.

The best advice though would probably be to check out the placement chart at Heart of Dakota and see where your son falls. If he places better in Beyond- then I would put him there. Beyond is American History too.

Finally- there is nothing wrong with the classical cycle!!! But it is okay to choose something else too.

Hope this helps,

Rebecca

The best advice though would probably be to check out the placement chart at Heart of Dakota and see where your son falls. If he places better in Beyond- then I would put him there. Beyond is American History too.

Rebecca,

He will be 9 in December. By looking at the placements chart it looks like he will place better in Bigger Hearts.

Is HOD considered Classical? Still kinda new at this!:001_smile:

Angie

Is HOD considered Classical? Still kinda new at this!:001_smile:

Angie

Jumping in...

There are many, many similarities to classical and what HoD more truly is, and that's Charlotte Mason. You might enjoy exploring around on the HoD boards for more info.

I have been using Bigger w/my dd for 3rd grade and she's loved it. We're only about 1/2 way through because we just started in January but we started with Columbus and are now on George Washington. Lots and lots of fun stories about historic first Americans, John Smith and the Indians. Good stuff. I think your son would LOVE it!

Jumping in...

There are many, many similarities to classical and what HoD more truly is, and that's Charlotte Mason. You might enjoy exploring around on the HoD boards for more info.

I have been using Bigger w/my dd for 3rd grade and she's loved it. We're only about 1/2 way through because we just started in January but we started with Columbus and are now on George Washington. Lots and lots of fun stories about historic first Americans, John Smith and the Indians. Good stuff. I think your son would LOVE it!

Thanks for the clarification on HOD being more like Charlotte Mason.

Sounds like everyone loves Bigger.

I would really like to stay with one progam, at least for a few years. I haven't enjoyed jumping around. I did a lot of that this year just trying to figure out what was best for my son.

Do any of you plan on using Preparing Hearts after Bigger?

Alison,

Beyond looks good! I thought it was for younger children. How is your

10yo doing with it?

Angie

My (just turned) 10 year old loves it. I just read a post where Carrie mentioned that several books used in the Beyond package were for 3rd, 4th, and 5th grades. I think where you fit might depend on how much of HOD you use. At this point I have my own LA's and math that I am very happy with. I only use HOD to pull together Bible, history, science, poetry, geo., art, etc. I love the way all subjects flow together. I also use it for the storytime (RA's) (love them so far). The Pioneers to Patriots book is wonderful.

If you want to have two years of American History I wouldn't hesitate to use Beyond, just use your own LA's and math, or bump up to the LA's and math from Bigger. I think that's where I keep seeing everyone go to the placement charts...because HOD incorporates everything. Still, my kids don't ever fit well into any placement it seems, and I have to combine them.

I can tell you that using Beyond with my 3 kids, my oldest is getting more out of it, but my other two (7 and 5) are still enjoying it.

So my advice would be that if you want to do two years of American history you could start off with Beyond, then go into Bigger. IF you want just one year then either package would work, but, if you choose Bigger,then I'd buy the Pioneers to Patriots book to read to them also, it's that good. :001_smile:

HTH,

Alison

I am using Bigger with an 11 year old (just started) and he really likes it. I just beef it up by having him use the poems for dictation and he uses his own level of english and math. Since HOD has the option of choosing your own readers my son is going to use his core 5 readers with the DITHOR program.

The stories used in HOD are not twaddle and I sometimes have my older son read aloud the history readings.

It is really easy to "beef up" CM and therefore HOD just by adding copywork or dictations from the readings too.

I would really like to stay with one progam, at least for a few years. I haven't enjoyed jumping around. I did a lot of that this year just trying to figure out what was best for my son.

Do any of you plan on using Preparing Hearts after Bigger?

Hi, I will be using Beyond, Bigger and the CTC this coming year, which is why I haven't jumped in on this thread sooner. I started HOD this past fall and we are using Little Hearts & Preparing and it has been a great fit for us. I definitely plan on sticking with the curriculum.

My (just turned) 10 year old loves it. I just read a post where Carrie mentioned that several books used in the Beyond package were for 3rd, 4th, and 5th grades. I think where you fit might depend on how much of HOD you use. At this point I have my own LA's and math that I am very happy with. I only use HOD to pull together Bible, history, science, poetry, geo., art, etc. I love the way all subjects flow together. I also use it for the storytime (RA's) (love them so far). The Pioneers to Patriots book is wonderful.

If you want to have two years of American History I wouldn't hesitate to use Beyond, just use your own LA's and math, or bump up to the LA's and math from Bigger. I think that's where I keep seeing everyone go to the placement charts...because HOD incorporates everything. Still, my kids don't ever fit well into any placement it seems, and I have to combine them.

I can tell you that using Beyond with my 3 kids, my oldest is getting more out of it, but my other two (7 and 5) are still enjoying it.

So my advice would be that if you want to do two years of American history you could start off with Beyond, then go into Bigger. IF you want just one year then either package would work, but, if you choose Bigger,then I'd buy the Pioneers to Patriots book to read to them also, it's that good. :001_smile:

HTH,

Alison

Alison,

Thank you! I have my own LA and Math, I just wanted to make sure Beyond was good for a 9yo. Thank you for sharing your experience and advice. I never thought about buying both and combining them. I do really want to have 2 years of American!

Blessings,

Angela, You asked if any of us plan to use Preparing after Bigger? I definitely plan to do this. I already have many of the books for Preparing and just need to order my guide. I also have every confidence that we will like it and will move on to the 4 year cycle after that. For me it fits perfectly as my dd will finish with the HoD guides at the end of 8th grade, then on to...who knows for high school! I can't even imagine that far ahead!

Then I'll have all that for my son coming up behind her. I know myself, if I start looking too deeply into other curriculum I instill all kinds of doubts, and it's better for me to be content - which I am - with what God has led me to.

Angela, You asked if any of us plan to use Preparing after Bigger? I definitely plan to do this. I already have many of the books for Preparing and just need to order my guide. I also have every confidence that we will like it and will move on to the 4 year cycle after that. For me it fits perfectly as my dd will finish with the HoD guides at the end of 8th grade, then on to...who knows for high school! I can't even imagine that far ahead!

Then I'll have all that for my son coming up behind her. I know myself, if I start looking too deeply into other curriculum I instill all kinds of doubts, and it's better for me to be content - which I am - with what God has led me to.

Amy,

This year I followed the WTM and pulled most of the curriculum together myself. We had a good year, but now I can see how my son really wants to have more of a bible based curriculum! That is why I am leaning towards HOD! I think you are right about looking at to many curriculums. This is why I want to find something my son likes and stick with it as long as possible! I found that this being our first year of homeschooling I really needed to look at many of the different programs - to see what works best for us. That being said, I am exhausted! There gets to be a point when you just have to go with your decision and stop looking! I have seen nothing but wonderful things about HOD.

Thank you for your input, it has really helped!

Blessings,