Menu

Canada and the US: the give and take

OK. We get free medical care.

But you get liquid graphite pencils?! How is that fair? Those things look sooooo awesome! From what I understand from a friend, they write smooth, never need sharpening and erase with zero mess. Zero mess! :drool5:

Why can't I find these in Canada? BOO HOOOO!

P.S.: I'll trade 5 hours in hospital for a pack of those pencils!

lol Here in Alberta the healthcare isn't even free either. BEtween the premiums to be paid for alberta healthcare plus all the services it no longer covers that we have to pay out of pocket to get done it's not even a huge selling point anymore lol

Now cool pencils like that I want! I am always on the hunt for new writing tools, and now I want those.

And the ability to use so many coupons I can get a cart of groceries for $3.25 like they do on Oprah. The only coupons here get you 0.30 cents off something that is so over priced the "discount" doesn't matter anyway.

OK. We get free medical care.

But you get liquid graphite pencils?! How is that fair? Those things look sooooo awesome! From what I understand from a friend, they write smooth, never need sharpening and erase with zero mess. Zero mess! :drool5:

Why can't I find these in Canada? BOO HOOOO!

P.S.: I'll trade 5 hours in hospital for a pack of those pencils!

LOL I love it. I can just imagine like a news reporter asking an American, "You always say that your country is the greatest in the world. What do you base that on?" Answer: "graphite pencils!" hehehehe

Sorry, I have a strange sense of humor and a waaaay too vivid imagination. :) I should be Canadian! ;) :) :D

Edited by Ibbygirl

OK you win... we will give you the pencils, BUT you must promise NEVER to give us your health care system.

OK, first off, thanks for the pencils! :D But I have to ask, because I truly don't know what the general consensus in the U.S. is on our healthcare, but what's with that? Is there something I don't know? My cousin is a dr. in Michigan and is always wanting to switch healthcare with us here. :confused: http://www.ktka.com/news/2007/apr/18/health_care_breakdown_us_vs_canada/ Sorry, I just really don't get why that is funny??? Do people really think we live in igloos and operate with rusty knives or tools we carved from caribou bone or walrus tusk? :confused: Or is that just an anti-Canadian attitude? Please enlighten me because I truly don't get that...

OK, first off, thanks for the pencils! :D But I have to ask, because I truly don't know what the general consensus in the U.S. is on our healthcare, but what's with that? Is there something I don't know? My cousin is a dr. in Michigan and is always wanting to switch healthcare with us here. :confused: http://www.ktka.com/news/2007/apr/18/health_care_breakdown_us_vs_canada/ Sorry, I just really don't get why that is funny??? Do people really think we live in igloos and operate with rusty knives or tools we carved from caribou bone or walrus tusk? :confused: Or is that just an anti-Canadian attitude? Please enlighten me because I truly don't get that...

I don't get it either (and I'm in the U.S.). I assume these people must have excellent health care plans. We don't. We're self-employed and have HAD it with private health care (ZERO coverage of anything we needed, crappy doctors, constant raising of our rates, etc. etc.) We canceled it four years ago, and pay out of pocket for everything: doctor, dentist, eye doctor (two of our children have glasses). You can imagine our health care bills (or maybe not, since you're in Canada :) ) And we still have our same crappy doctor because nobody is taking new patients (read: patients without health insurance). We all go without regular check-ups...we only go to the doctor when absolutely necessary.

So I am one of those people who doesn't understand the hostility toward Canada's health care system. I've never heard any complaints from any of the Canadians I know. And it sure as heck can't be any worse than ours.:glare:

I don't get it either (and I'm in the U.S.). I assume these people must have excellent health care plans. We don't. We're self-employed and have HAD it with private health care (ZERO coverage of anything we needed, crappy doctors, constant raising of our rates, etc. etc.) We canceled it four years ago, and pay out of pocket for everything: doctor, dentist, eye doctor (two of our children have glasses). You can imagine our health care bills (or maybe not, since you're in Canada :) ) And we still have our same crappy doctor because nobody is taking new patients (read: patients without health insurance). We all go without regular check-ups...we only go to the doctor when absolutely necessary.

So I am one of those people who doesn't understand the hostility toward Canada's health care system. I've never heard any complaints from any of the Canadians I know. And it sure as heck can't be any worse than ours.:glare:

I think most American's opion on health care depends on if they personally have good insurance or not. We have very good insurance, so I don't want it tossed for medicare or a similar gov't program. But I know we are super fortunate to have it. Something needs to be done for the less fortunate.

But back to the liquid graphite pencils. WHERE are they sold in the US?????? I haven't seen them. :tongue_smilie: