Menu

New to homeschooling

adams101

OK, I am new to this. We are having problems with the schools not providing enough for our kids, so we have decided to pull them out. We always knew this was a possibility, and here we are. Both kids are bored. They will be in the 4th and 6th grades, but are at least a grade level ahead of where they should be. The oldest reads on a high school level, and his math is probably close to that. The youngest reads on a middle school level and at least a grade ahead in math. This is what I plan to start with. I know we will probably have to make some changes, but I wanted to get some opinions from those who have been doing this. For the 6th grader I have Apologia General Science, Saxon math 87 (this is what their placement test said to put him in), Easy Grammar for 6th grade, Spelling Workout, and I am doing Story of the World with both of them. I will pull supplemental books, etc. that are appropriate for their levels. For the 4th grader I have Apologia Zoology 3, land animals (I let her pick which one she wanted to start with. When she finishes, I'll get another one.), Saxon math 54 (what she tested into), Easy Grammar for 4th, Spelling Workout, and Story of the world. What am I missing? They will both continue to play sports and I will make sure they do something for PE when it isn't sport season. We are looking into 4-H since my youngest want to be a vet. Is this too much, not enough? I really feel like it is a good start. Maybe after we get settled, I can add more. They are both extremely bright, and I hate to hold them back. I really don't expect some of this to last long. I just needed a place to start from.

Welcome!

Your curriculum sounds fine.

Have you thought about what you will be requiring from the kids? I don't see a writing program--will you be doing narrations for now? I think they are a great way to get started gently and I'd strongly encourgae them for your kids.

It takes a lot of courage to step into the unknown and forge a new relationship with your kids and do this strange thing called "homeschooling." Good for you.

I think it looks good. It shouldn't take more than a few hours a day which is a good homeschool day for kids IMOP. There are tons of literature books lists on the internet you could print for them as well in order to assure they get some great reads. On my homeschool blog I have many links for great ideas on literature with many being free ebooks to download. Good luck and enjoy this special time with your kids.:lurk5:

Easy Grammar 4 might be really boring for a kid of 4th grade age who is working above grade level and is good at grammar. If your student hasn't had much grammar, which is totally possible in public school, you still might need to compact it. In other words, there are lots of pages on the same concept- if your child has already mastered the concept, let him move on. I'd even suggest ordering the grade 6 and letting it arrive before ordering the level 4. It might be that your two students can use the same book at different paces. EG is a very user friendly program though, and effective.

I don't have experience with any of the others (except SOTW) but I think your plan looks good, especially since you are just starting out.

Welcome to homeschooling!

I do plan on them writing. I am going to pull from their History, Literature, and Science for topics. I have gotten several things on how to write papers, but I kind of need to see where they are before I decide what to expect from them. I have test scores for their reading and math levels, but no idea where their writing is at. I've been subbing at their schools for a couple of years, so I have had access to some ideas. Plus I got quite a few from the internet. I figure we can always add later if we need to. Thanks for your help! It feels good to be reassured about what you are doing.

Like I said, this is a place to start. If they need to move more quickly through the Grammar books, that's fine. I know they had a lot of grammar practice at their old school, but I"m not sure about it since we moved just over a year ago. We decided to start at grade level and move quickly, just to make sure they don't miss anything. I've ordered everything and it should be here over the next couple of days. I'll have a better idea of what I have when it gets here.

It sounds like you have an excellent plan, and -- more importantly -- you have a great attitude!

I would suggest that you may wish to take a few weeks to relax before getting too academic. Your kids might need a little time to adjust to being at home, not seeing their school friends every day, having a new routine, etc. I noticed, though, that you're being very reasonable about your expectations, and that you're flexible about making changes as you go, so I think you'll be a "natural" at homeschooling, and it will be wonderful for your kids.

One last suggestion -- if you get going on the schoolwork and the kids complain about everything, that's perfectly normal. You are not a dismal failure! Homeschooling is rarely like you see in the Sonlight catalogs, with all those happy, smiling, attentive faces! It can be great, but don't expect too much of yourself right away. We all worry so much about what the kids are learning, that we forget about ourselves and our own feelings and expectations. We think we should be perfect -- even when we say we don't, and I just want to give you permission to make mistakes and not blame yourself for every little thing that goes wrong.

Oh -- and become a regular here -- it will be a huge help to you!

WELCOME!

:party:

Cat

I think that looks good as well. You said that your dd is ahead in math. If that's the case, then you may want to let her move through Saxon 54 as quickly as possible and skip stuff she already knows, then go right into 65. My dd did Saxon 76 in 4th grade, which is maybe a year ahead. Just saying that you may want to recheck her math level, or make sure you're open to allowing her to proceed at a quick pace through and just slow down for problems she runs into. Just don't want her to get bored and think she doesn't like math!

Welcome and best wishes!!!

Honestly, I'm not sure that anything I have will last them as long as it is intended to. I know that there will be a lot of it we can move through quickly. I just figured this was a good place to start, and I don't have so much money invested in it that I would be upset if it doesn't fill the year. Both of my kids are the ones that you pretty much show them once, and they've got it. My son is in "advanced math" at the school now. He does the whole weeks worth of homework before the teacher even teaches the lessons. He is actually doing really well too. If we have to move ahead, we will. It is just hard not knowing where to start. They really want to do some stuff this summer, so we may ease into it. My 3rd grader is so bored now that she is asking for "school work" that isn't too easy. Thanks for all your help!