Menu

Question about Shurley English placement

Mari

Hello, all!

I'm trying to help out a friend.

Where would you place a nine yr old/ soon to be 4th grader in Shurley English? This is for a boy who reads and comprehends very well but is weak in spelling and has very little formal writing and grammar lessons under his belt. Level 2, 3, or 4?

My ds did 6th when he was 11 years old. I would say that he was advanced though. I wouldn't worry about the spelling aspect or writing, as these are not where Shirley shines anyways. 4th sounds about right, but remember that a student can easily skip grades in Shirley (heck, we only did 6th and 7th which was totally enough). Her son could then go on to 6th after 4th. :)

My ds did 6th when he was 11 years old. I would say that he was advanced though. I wouldn't worry about the spelling aspect or writing, as these are not where Shirley shines anyways. 4th sounds about right, but remember that a student can easily skip grades in Shirley (heck, we only did 6th and 7th which was totally enough). Her son could then go on to 6th after 4th. :)

:iagree: Start in 4th, skip to 6th next. Use a different spelling and writing. Shurley is especially weak in writing instruction.

I would start in 4th. I've heard many say they skip 5th and go on to 6th. The writing was good for us. It got us writing, which is what we needed. The teacher that evaluated them was impressed with their writing. Everyone is different, though. I would try the writing and if doesn't work, you can always switch and try something else. JMO

HTH,

Patty