Menu

Has anyone used Jackdaws primary source documents for logic stage history?

mazakaal

Jackdaws- absolutely worth the $$$ for us. The documents are of very high quality. I have books loaded with primary docs, but there is something about the realistic feel of them that appeals to my student (and the grown up kids around here too). We have never done every single activity in the activity guides, but the ones we've done are great. I'm really picky about what I buy for history and Jackdaws kits are some of my favorite resources out there.

I haven't used them, because I can't see paying that amount of $$ for something that can be found rather readily at much better prices (or free). It's all reproductions, and the comments I've read over the years don't make think that the Jackdaws are anything exceptional.

We've picked up several 'museum in a book' books over the years at bargain prices that do the trick for us - - this is the type that has lots of flaps and envelopes that reveal reproductions of documents, along with photos, maps, etc. Even at full price, they are half the cost of Jackdaws (but patience will help you find them for ten bucks or so).

It depends on what you want - - I have a plan for history, I don't need lesson plans and so forth, just the documents. Also, if my kids read and explore the $10 book on their own, fabulous! An 8 yr old dragging a $60 Jackdaw around would make me nervous.