Menu

How do you learn to draw freehand maps of the world?

home4fun

We learned to freehand draw the US map this year, but looking for ideas on how to proceed to learn the rest of the world. Not sure how to divide up so it is not so overwhelming. Any ideas or suggestions on how you have done it?

Thanks

Angie

(home4fun)

I used Mapping the World by Heart with my older three and I'm about to do it again with my middler. Its a bit expensive for the barebones lessons you get, so buy it used or borrow if you can. It does, however, have detailed instructions to lay out lines of longitude and latitude. The kids then take two-three weeks to draw a map of the world by heart, idenitfying countries, capitals, physical landmarks and drawing the map symbols/legend/decorations.

HTH,

Lisa

Mapping the World By Heart seems like a good one. I bought it used here, and sold it used here. They run about $25 or so on the WTM board when they are up for sale. Not a bad price--especially since it includes a VHS tape (the one I got, and sold, did anyway)!

WinterPromise offers a program called Draw Your World that divides the world up into areas, then those into steps so you slowly develop the ability to draw it freehand. I have the original edition, which most people found difficult to use with kids younger than 13. I believe they've made changes, but I'm not familiar with those.

We just practice. Some weeks we trace maps. Some weeks we free-hand it. We started with a world map, the seven continents and oceans, this year. Next year we'll be focusing on historical maps.

I'm eyeing Maping the World with Art by Ellen McHenry, author of The Elements & Carbon Copy, that lists a release of early summer 2009.

You can view chapter samples at the provided link:

http://www.ellenjmchenry.com/id144.html

This one looks good. I'm not sure where I'm going to fit it in with my older dc unless it were Summer or one or both dc want to become cartographers or architects ;)

WinterPromise offers a program called Draw Your World that divides the world up into areas, then those into steps so you slowly develop the ability to draw it freehand. I have the original edition, which most people found difficult to use with kids younger than 13. I believe they've made changes, but I'm not familiar with those.
I just went to look this up. I decided to go ahead and get it for $19. As I went through the check-out process, up comes the shipping charge--$9.00! :glare::confused: I can't pay a $9 shipping charge for a $19 item! So, I'm looking for it used, if anyone has it!

Thanks for the suggestion!