Menu

Lively Latin; Help getting started

Alison in KY

Some of you may have seen where I posted last night my fear for spending the money and buying Lively Latin. Well, I went with your blessing and bought the BB1 downloadable files. Now I'm confused, so please help me.

#1, what's the easiest way to get to where you need to be at (I had a time just getting signed up :glare:)

#2, which pronunciation should I use?

#3, how do I listen to the chants, I clicked on there earlier and my computer was working but nothing ever happened.

#4, should I dive right into lesson 1, or do the pre-lesson 1 stuff?

#5, what's the easiest thing to do...print off the entire lesson and answer sheets, or print only the lesson and use the computer for the answers, etc?

#6, do you have to use the vocab. cards? and if so, do you just glue them on as she has said, or is there an easier way?

#7, anything I've forgotten? I think I'm a bit intimidated...I miss opening a book and doing a lesson (I'm an open and go queen).

Thank you SO MUCH!!!

Alison in KY

#2 I had planned to use Ecclesiastical, but ended up doing Classical instead. Turns out it didn't really matter much since dd won't follow the rules. :001_rolleyes: We started out listening to the chants but I just have her do them on her own now.

#4 We did the pre-lesson 1 stuff. I like that sort of thing & dd enjoyed it too.

#5 I just print off one lesson at a time & use the computer for answers. I also only use color on the pages where it really matters--e.g. art prints.

#6 Yes. I have dd write the Latin on one side of a 2x3 index card & the English translation on the other. I think having to actually write the words helps with memorization. This is what she does for a "lesson" one day out of ten. We then store all the cards on a metal ring & she goes through them every day before beginning her lesson.

It's really been open & go for us. I don't do any prep work except printing the lesson. Each one lasts for 2 weeks in our house so that's not bad. :)

Signin/login at the top. Scroll down to Big Book 1 in the center under courses and click there.

It's a matter of personal preference. Will your child be listening to church Latin? Are you classical literature fans? It's not that big a difference, though. And no native Romans are going to laugh at your attempts to communicate with them.

#3, how do I listen to the chants, I clicked on there earlier and my computer was working but nothing ever happened.

This depends on the settings in the preferences panel of whatever browser you are using. Do you have a pop-up blocker? If so, turn it off or tell it to allow pop ups from that domain. If not, look behind your browser window or see if it opened in another tab.

Your child should work through Big Book: Introduction. It has essential info on picking a Latin name and the complicated relationship between English and Latin. Even before you do that, you will want to read through the Magistra's Notes, and set up a binder with the dividers provided according to the directions in the Magistra's Notes.

#5, what's the easiest thing to do...print off the entire lesson and answer sheets, or print only the lesson and use the computer for the answers, etc?

I check it against the computer.

#6, do you have to use the vocab. cards? and if so, do you just glue them on as she has said, or is there an easier way?

We do not use the vocabulary cards. I keep the vocabulary lists in one section of our binder, and my student runs through each list from each previous chapter before starting lessons each day.

#7, anything I've forgotten? I think I'm a bit intimidated...I miss opening a book and doing a lesson (I'm an open and go queen).

It takes such minimal set up. After you get through the Magistra's Notes, it is open and go, or, rather, print and go.

I do basically what the other two posters do wrt all the questions you asked.

Also, for many of us, the first lesson or two seemed to take particularly long, so don't feel discouraged. After that, it speeds up.

It's definitely my favorite curriculum this year.

:iagree:

We do make the flashcards though. We've been using different colored index cards, cut in half, for each vocab. We keep them in a zip lock bag that I punched a hole in, and just keep it in the 3-ring binder.

Here's my vote for Ecclesiastical Latin. It's easier for my kids.... we're not Catholic, but look forward to attending a couple of Mass' given in Latin. It's closer to Spanish...

After studying Ecclesiastical (Church) Latin for a few years, if you want...you can have your child learn Classical pronunciation.

I also plan to check out some of the Latin immersion weekends that I hear they have at a local college.

As far as flashcards, ours are printed. I can't stand cards with messy handwriting.

Also, my kids were supposed to write their vocabulary words out 3 times each week.

Carrie:-)

Some of you may have seen where I posted last night my fear for spending the money and buying Lively Latin. Well, I went with your blessing and bought the BB1 downloadable files. Now I'm confused, so please help me.

#1, what's the easiest way to get to where you need to be at (I had a time just getting signed up :glare:)

I know she has plans to go to a totally different online system, but I don't know what her timetable is for it.

We wouldn't use it at our Church, and the kids are leaning towards the science fields, so I chose classical.

Not sure here. I downloaded them, and listen to them from my computer, not online.

Start from the beginning, pre-lesson stuff.

I use the computer for the answers, but I think it is just a matter of preference.

My dd reviews them daily, so I would use them. I use double stick tape instead of glue, and then I laminate them. :D

Thank you SO MUCH!!!

Alison in KY

If it helps I find it to be pretty open and go once I had all the vocab cards made up. I did them all up front so it wouldn't be an on going issue.

One last thing. Do not print front and back to save pages. :D If you do you can't use the correct file system because you will have a front that goes in one section and a back that goes in another.

Heather

which pronunciation should I use?

Choose according to your personal preference. Most colleges and universities use Restored Classical pronunciation. Most secular curricula (Cambridge, Oxford, Ecce, Wheelock, Lingua Latina, etc.) use this pronunciation as well. The Latin you hear in church settings (Catholic, Anglican, etc.) is Ecclesiastical. Once you have learned one, it's not difficult to learn the other.

I print the vocabulary pages on card stock and leave it as one sheet of paper. It is easier to handle 5-6 pages than a stack of flashcards. Though I do think that flashcards work better for younger students. My older girls say the words and definitions aloud every day.

Check the answers online. That will save you a lot of ink!

Just jump in. You'll get the hang of it very quickly. :)

Thanks, it's intimidating me a bit, but I'll get into the swing of things. I'm still trying to decide if I want to do the history or not. I noticed it does take a bit of time doing the copying if I do not copy the history sheets. I'll figure it out, but I'll have more questions before it's all over with.

Alison in kY